Dominik Hasek

LGR4GM

Hasek was probably the best player to ever wear a sabres jersey but he left town in a way that left a sour taste for a lot of people. He is dropping the puck this weekend and are ppl excited he is being brought back or what? I remember his crazy style the most more than how he left here but I was younger at the time so... what do people think?

Hasek was probably the best player to ever wear a sabres jersey but he left town in a way that left a sour taste for a lot of people. He is dropping the puck this weekend and are ppl excited he is being brought back or what? I remember his crazy style the most more than how he left here but I was younger at the time so... what do people think?

That, and his replacement that came the other way, who had even more disparaging things to say about Buffalo. (Karma's a you-know-what b/c Kozlov's now in the KHL.)

On a better note, I was at the game in 1997 when Hasek robbed Mario Lemieux of a point blank shot on the net while Hasek was laying on his side. A few seats and rows down, I saw a couple of fans literally doing this from that save: :worthy:

Very happy to see Hasek brought back into the organization. Pegula is making things right and whole again. Very good.

And for those who feel bitter about Hasek's departure, don't blame him, point the finger where it should be pointed, at management and ownership at the time of his departure.

It's been more than widely known that the Sabres lack of commitment to winning was the main reason why he left.

HASEK said some things, but I doubt that they were ever intended to hurt the fans of the Sabres. He was amazing though, for a while he was easily the best goalie (best player) in hockey. It would be great to have things patched up and have him go into the HOF as a Sabre.

I was just looking at his stats, in 98-99 he had a 1.87 GA a .937 SV% and had 13 SO. :worthy:

Enroth sometimes reminds me of Hasek. He used to just sprawl across the net, I think he had the mentality of toss whatever i got in the way and the puck will get stopped, now its kinda boring to watch goalies they don't dive around as much.

HASEK said some things, but I doubt that they were ever intended to hurt the fans of the Sabres. He was amazing though, for a while he was easily the best goalie (best player) in hockey. It would be great to have things patched up and have him go into the HOF as a Sabre.

I was just looking at his stats, in 98-99 he had a 1.87 GA a .937 SV% and had 13 SO. :worthy:

He was simply amazing to watch. They gave him the nickname "The Human Slinky".

Very happy to see Hasek brought back into the organization. Pegula is making things right and whole again. Very good.

And for those who feel bitter about Hasek's departure, don't blame him, point the finger where it should be pointed, at management and ownership at the time of his departure.It's been more than widely known that the Sabres lack of commitment to winning was the main reason why he left.

No. I blame him. Not because he asked to be traded. That happens all the time. It was about him orchestrating a deal that left the team in shambles. He hurt his teammates and he hurt the fans. I don't really care what his motivation was. He put his teammates and the people that pay to watch in a very bad place and that ain't managements fault.

I feel very comfortable with my take on this knowing that his teammates that he threw under the bus feel the same way. I'd pay good money to see Rob Ray's reaction the moment he finds out that Hasek is getting his number put up.

It's not what Hasek said, it is what he did. He could've moved on and been happy but instead he chose to force a deal that basically trashed the franchise for years.

When he appologizes I'll look fondly upon his time here. Not before.

No. I blame him. Not because he asked to be traded. That happens all the time. It was about him orchestrating a deal that left the team in shambles. He hurt his teammates and he hurt the fans. I don't really care what his motivation was. He put his teammates and the people that pay to watch in a very bad place and that ain't managements fault.

I feel very comfortable with my take on this knowing that his teammates that he threw under the bus feel the same way. I'd pay good money to see Rob Ray's reaction the moment he finds out that Hasek is getting his number put up.

It's not what Hasek said, it is what he did. He could've moved on and been happy but instead he chose to force a deal that basically trashed the franchise for years.

When he appologizes I'll look fondly upon his time here. Not before.

Agree on all counts.

And I thought I was going to be alone in a crowd with this. :blush:

No, I'm with you too.

I think this is happening at a good time for Dom. I really don't expect many boos. Pegula Fever is still running high, the team is playing reasonably well, and Rick Martin just died, for crying out loud. He'll get a nice reception. I doubt it will be rip-roaring.

Now, if OSP still owned the team and the Sabres were out of the playoffs and it could reasonably be considered a promotional move... all bets would be off.

arguably the greatest goalie ever....certainly in the top ten.

Hasek leaving didn't leave the team in shambles as you claim. Only he left, that's one guy, last time I checked, hockey was a team sport. Losing 1 guy shouldn't have left the team in shambles, that is, unless management tried to ride this one guy to a championship when this guy was saying they needed more offensive fire power. Ya, I'm not only pretty sure, but I know, as do a majority of the fan base that this is indeed what happened.

I can appreciate the feelings you have though, but the writing was on the wall long before Hasek left.

I cannot blame Hasek at all. As with any competitor, he wanted to win, the proper tools were never fully put into place to achieve this. Orchrastrating his on depature is irrelevant to the fact of why he wanted out. We got a player in return, granted, a crappy player, but as I have stated before, 1 players departure shouldn't necessitate a team fall into shambles if management and ownership did their jobs appropriately.

I actually commend Hasek for going after victory. Whatever people think he may have owed the Sabres, he payed 10 fold on the ice for this team while he was with us.

If Rob Ray can't handle Hasek's number in the rafter's at HSBC then maybe Ray should have honed a skill set worthy of the honor and become an all world best at it. He didn't, but Hasek did.

Am I remembering this correctly -- Dom had time left on his contract but was threatening to retire if he wasn't traded? So the Sabres risked getting nothing in return? But they got virtually nothing in return because of Dom's restrictions on the trade.

Maybe they should have called his bluff.

IIRC, Dom went to Coudersport to meet with Rigas during the season and emerged happy with what he heard. Again, you wonder if Regier had his hands tied by ownership.

Hasek leaving didn't leave the team in shambles as you claim. Only he left, that's one guy, last time I checked, hockey was a team sport. Losing 1 guy shouldn't have left the team in shambles, that is, unless management tried to ride this one guy to a championship when this guy was saying they needed more offensive fire power. Ya, I'm not only pretty sure, but I know, as do a majority of the fan base that this is indeed what happened.

Of ocurse it did. And losing one guy is going to leave a team in shambles when he is the team MVP and he ensures that the trade won't be anywhere close to an even value deal.

And that's the crux of my (and the others that side with me) issue with Dom. He demanded a trade. OK, fine. It happens. But then he demanded a trade that wouldn't bring back anything close to even value. I suppose you can be proud of a guy who makes you bend over and take one up the mud canal so that he can win a chamionship. I can't. He screwed me out of a good return on his trade. I take getting screwed personally.

But that's just me I guess.

Am I remembering this correctly -- Dom had time left on his contract but was threatening to retire if he wasn't traded? So the Sabres risked getting nothing in return? But they got virtually nothing in return because of Dom's restrictions on the trade.

Maybe they should have called his bluff.

IIRC, Dom went to Coudersport to meet with Rigas during the season and emerged happy with what he heard. Again, you wonder if Regier had his hands tied by ownership.

Correct.

I can appreciate the feelings you have though, but the writing was on the wall long before Hasek left.

I cannot blame Hasek at all. As with any competitor, he wanted to win, the proper tools were never fully put into place to achieve this. Orchrastrating his on depature is irrelevant to the fact of why he wanted out. We got a player in return, granted, a crappy player, but as I have stated before, 1 players departure shouldn't necessitate a team fall into shambles if management and ownership did their jobs appropriately.

I actually commend Hasek for going after victory. Whatever people think he may have owed the Sabres, he payed 10 fold on the ice for this team while he was with us.

If Rob Ray can't handle Hasek's number in the rafter's at HSBC then maybe Ray should have honed a skill set worthy of the honor and become an all world best at it. He didn't, but Hasek did.

This is pretty ridiculous. Hasek wasn't a 2nd line Dman or even 1st line winger. Losing him is a little different than losing a skater. He used the threat of his retirement to make sure that the Sabres would not get an equal value in return for his trade. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, I'm just saying don't expect me to give him a big hug for it either.

Archived