Dominik Hasek

LGR4GM

Hasek may deserve being booed for the way he left but his coming back would be to honor the way he played while here. Idk, its hard to blame a guy for wanting to win but on the other hand I understand how much of jerk he was when he left. Too bad Pegs wasnt owner then cause then we would have a stanley cup banner in the rafters as well as Hasek's number, and we would feel all warm and fuzzy about it. I say Cheer and be happy.

Hasek may deserve being booed for the way he left but his coming back would be to honor the way he played while here. Idk, its hard to blame a guy for wanting to win but on the other hand I understand how much of jerk he was when he left. Too bad Pegs wasnt owner then cause then we would have a stanley cup banner in the rafters as well as Hasek's number, and we would feel all warm and fuzzy about it. I say Cheer and be happy.

Good post.... :beer:

It would be shame to boo the best and greatest player this franchise ever had. He gave our team over years performance out of this planet.

Unfortunately the franchise did not give him the team to win the cup.

The management of this time forced one of the greatestplayers ever to leave our team in this way.

If you have such a star you have to do everything to give him a team which can win the cup.

Be mature, give him the honour he earned, don't cry like babys that he left a sinking ship.

Hasek's always been a weird duck. Yes, I didn't like the way he departed. But, to those who would boo or stay seated, or whatever a malcontent would do, GET OVER IT.

While he had the entire franchise riding on his insanely competitive and talented shoulders, you are the same people who cheered in amazement at his unorthodox yet effective style of play. We all went from Dominic who? to enjoying a wonderful ride watching his Vezina winning athlete work his magic.

And Hasek isn't the only Sabres player to have been at odds with the team. Think Schoenfeld when he was traded. The French Connection over a long period. There were others.

Now, the organization is reaching out to its history with open arms. Hasek was a great part of that history, and we should open ours as well.

I'm really glad he's back. Mostly I remember Dom standing on his head night after night, carrying a subpar team way deeper into the playoffs than they ever could have dreamed without him.

Probably my best memory is from April 27th, 1994, when he outduelled Martin Brodeur to earn a 70-save, 4-overtime SHUTOUT. That was the greatest game I have ever seen a goalie play. You never see 70-shot games in the NHL, and the fact that he stopped every shot is completely ridiculous.

2nd best memory was probably watching Dom win the gold medal for the Czechs almost by himself in Nagano, 1998.

Haters, get over it. The guy deserved to be on a contender and the Sabres were far from it. He paid his dues here for a good long time; it's too bad it had to be such a drama show, but he did what he had to to get out.

I'm really glad he's back. Mostly I remember Dom standing on his head night after night, carrying a subpar team way deeper into the playoffs than they ever could have dreamed without him.

Probably my best memory is from April 27th, 1994, when he outduelled Martin Brodeur to earn a 70-save, 4-overtime SHUTOUT. That was the greatest game I have ever seen a goalie play. You never see 70-shot games in the NHL, and the fact that he stopped every shot is completely ridiculous.

2nd best memory was probably watching Dom win the gold medal for the Czechs almost by himself in Nagano, 1998.

AMEN! Best goalie and Sabre ever!

Nice to see Dominator come back for a visit. I enjoyed listening to his interviews and seeing him drop the puck. Glad to see the Sabres bury the hatchet with another one of the Sabre greats. Next time he comes back it should be to retire his number and put him in the Sabres HOF.

Hasek's always been a weird duck. Yes, I didn't like the way he departed. But, to those who would boo or stay seated, or whatever a malcontent would do, GET OVER IT.

While he had the entire franchise riding on his insanely competitive and talented shoulders, you are the same people who cheered in amazement at his unorthodox yet effective style of play. We all went from Dominic who? to enjoying a wonderful ride watching his Vezina winning athlete work his magic.

And Hasek isn't the only Sabres player to have been at odds with the team. Think Schoenfeld when he was traded. The French Connection over a long period. There were others.

Now, the organization is reaching out to its history with open arms. Hasek was a great part of that history, and we should open ours as well.

Thank you Stormin Norman.

I'll put aside my view of the situation for a moment to thank you for yours, because I not only feel the same way, I watched it transpire. Along with the French Connection. The younger fans have no un-earthly idea of what they say in my most humble opinion. It's completely disrespectful and goes completely against all that we stand for here in Buffalo to me. It's actually quite pathetic to me quite frankly.

Thank you once again. And thanks to Dom for all of the FANTASTIC memories. Second to none, those were some of the best of times.

For anyone that was curious and didn't see the game, he got a pretty loud ovation when he was introduced. The players on the Sabres bench immediately jumped up and waived their sticks and a large portion of the crowd got up as well (~40-70%).

I didn't hear any boos. (Not saying there weren't any, just saying I didn't hear them.)

When he left the ice, Dom high 5'd everyone he passed on his way back to the 100 level concourse.

Based on this night, I'd expect his # to get retired ~ the same time he gets into the HoF.

And not that anyone cares, but I went w/ #2 w/ a brief #4.

For anyone that was curious and didn't see the game, he got a pretty loud ovation when he was introduced. The players on the Sabres bench immediately jumped up and waived their sticks and a large portion of the crowd got up as well (~40-70%).

I didn't hear any boos. (Not saying there weren't any, just saying I didn't hear them.)

When he left the ice, Dom high 5'd everyone he passed on his way back to the 100 level concourse.

Based on this night, I'd expect his # to get retired ~ the same time he gets into the HoF.

And not that anyone cares, but I went w/ #2 w/ a brief #4.

Thanks, Taro.

Harrington's blog post:

7:10 p.m.: Hasek gets a roaring standing ovation as he's introduced and drops the puck between Thomas Vanek and Andrew Ladd. Players on both sides tapping their sticks and Lindy Ruff and the Buffalo staff applauding heartily.He exits behind the penalty box through the stands, high-fiving folks on both sides of the aisle. Just trot him out for a couple minutes and people love it. That's how you do things in the 40th anniversary season. Should have been like this all the time all season. Thanks for nothing, Tom and Larry. Great moment.

Edit: added link. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/03/live-from-the-arena-sabres-vs-thrashers.html

Thank you Stormin Norman.

I'll put aside my view of the situation for a moment to thank you for yours, because I not only feel the same way, I watched it transpire. Along with the French Connection. The younger fans have no un-earthly idea of what they say in my most humble opinion. It's completely disrespectful and goes completely against all that we stand for here in Buffalo to me. It's actually quite pathetic to me quite frankly.

Thank you once again. And thanks to Dom for all of the FANTASTIC memories. Second to none, those were some of the best of times.

First off, I am no younger fan. I am well into my 40's and watched the French Connection as well. Not sure I see where that fact has any relevance in this subject at all. And this is the second time in this thread that you have denigrated my opinion as being some version of pathetic and/or immature. The first time I bit my lip. I'm calling you out on for the irony of labeling me pathetic this time. Next time you might just get a piece of my mind. Just sayin'...

Wolf and I have done a very nice job of keeping a polite conversation while having minority opinions of a controversial topic. How about the favor returned, huh?

First off, I am no younger fan. I am well into my 40's and watched the French Connection as well. Not sure I see where that fact has any relevance in this subject at all. And this is the second time in this thread that you have denigrated my opinion as being some version of pathetic and/or immature. The first time I bit my lip. I'm calling you out on for the irony of labeling me pathetic this time. Next time you might just get a piece of my mind. Just sayin'...

Wolf and I have done a very nice job of keeping a polite conversation while having minority opinions of a controversial topic. How about the favor returned, huh?

:thumbsup:

Have to agree that you both have been really good about saying how you feel without going off... I am learning ;) from it.

Glad Hasek was welcomed and we won, hopefully the alumni will keep being honored and such.

Hey now it's my two cents worth. Wolf and weave you need to get over yourselves. Dumb dumb it has taken me a long time to get over what Dom Did to us and make no mistake and in defferance to wolf and weave, he really did cause harm to our team.

He was however a one man dynamo whlie he was here. You know that if you watched him play while here. He was simply amazing. I have a #39 jersey that I have owned with a grudge. Tonight after seeing the HUGE ovation he was given and the even bigger ovation as he walked off the ice reminded me of what this guy did for us while he played here. He always gave us a chance to win. I feel that way about Miller also. Usually.

Dom was a freak. We as fans are freaks and dont even like each other a lot of times. Even on an anonyomous message board.

I had hair standing up when Dom turned and walked off the ice. I told him that when I met him after the game he told me he was genuinely touched with his reception.

I have some bitter feelings but good god isnt time supposed to heal wounds? Even tonight I told my people that there is no love lost for me and Dom. This despite me wearing his vintage jersey. After all the banter all night and then finally meeting him and him signing the jersey, and my friend saying well you cant wear that one ever again!! I want to bury the bad feelings. Remember this, Dom spent more than one million dollars of his own money to fix something in our community.

Despite the hard feelings.

I'll say it again, remember Dom spent more than one million dollars of his own money to fix something in our community.

He's a bad guy. Really?

Thanks Dom. And when I met you tonight and told you how the new owner is bringing back all the old guys it was great when you said you knew. I said thanks for being the best goalie this team will ever see and I am a big Miller fan it was very cool when you simply said thank you. It was great when you signed my #39 Jersey to make it authentic and as a result it will no longer see the washing machine but will find a frame in the next few weeks, I want to again THANK YOU for what YOU did for the team while you played here.

Thanks Dom. And when I met you tonight and told you how the new owner is bringing back all the old guys it was great when you said you knew. I said thanks for being the best goalie this team will ever see and I am a big Miller fan it was very cool when you simply said thank you. It was great when you signed my #39 Jersey to make it authentic and as a result it will no longer see the washing machine but will find a frame in the next few weeks, I want to again THANK YOU for what YOU did for the team while you played here.

Well said. There is only ONE athlete in Buffalo I harbor a "grudge" for. JK. I realy don't. But oh Scott Norwood, what could have been...

My gawd, grow up! Your of the minority view on this topic, deal with it! Stop pouting about Hasek will ya!

My gawd, grow up! Your of the minority view on this topic, deal with it! Stop pouting about Hasek will ya!

Dude seriously, let people voice their opinions. If that's how they feel who are we to tell them to "get over it" or "grow up"? Some people take things more personally than others. I doubt he's at home sitting in a dimly lit corner shedding tears over how Hasek made his exit. Whether he's the minority or not it's still his opinion.

I'm sorry, it just really gets under my skin when people tell other people how to feel or to change their opinion because it doesn't match theirs.

Personally I like Hasek. I was only a teenager when he left Buffalo, but I don't hold any harsh feeling towards him. It's the sporting industry, elite players leave franchises all the time in order to win a championship. Last thing I want to see is people behaving the way Cavalier fans behaved when L. James left, but if they want to, feel free

HASEK said some things, but I doubt that they were ever intended to hurt the fans of the Sabres. He was amazing though, for a while he was easily the best goalie (best player) in hockey. It would be great to have things patched up and have him go into the HOF as a Sabre.

I was just looking at his stats, in 98-99 he had a 1.87 GA a .937 SV% and had 13 SO. :worthy:

The one thing I heard him say that always angered me was when he said, "...I will be forever a Red Wing." While I have nothing against him honoring his team that won the cup, saying that was a slap in the face to the organization that openned the door to his great career. It was the Sabres that acquired him as a back up goalie in Chicago, made him a starter, he excelled and made it to a Stanley Cup Final.

Time has past. I do forgive him. I'm glad to see him back and receiving a standing O. Keeping his charity work in Buffalo going certainly demonstrates fine character. Burying the hatchet is the right thing to do.

Dude seriously, let people voice their opinions. If that's how they feel who are we to tell them to "get over it" or "grow up"? Some people take things more personally than others. I doubt he's at home sitting in a dimly lit corner shedding tears over how Hasek made his exit. Whether he's the minority or not it's still his opinion.

I'm sorry, it just really gets under my skin when people tell other people how to feel or to change their opinion because it doesn't match theirs.

Personally I like Hasek. I was only a teenager when he left Buffalo, but I don't hold any harsh feeling towards him. It's the sporting industry, elite players leave franchises all the time in order to win a championship. Last thing I want to see is people behaving the way Cavalier fans behaved when L. James left, but if they want to, feel free

Good post. No point in voicing an opinion if everyone here is going to be poo-flinging monkeys when they don't agree.

Being a younger fan the glory days of the sabres were the late 90's/early 00's with the dominator being far and away the best sabre player I have ever witnessed. I had great memories of staying up till the wee hours in the morning watching the sabres playoff runs and dom rolling around in the crease making saves.

While I will never blame people for harboring negative feelings for the way that he left and got his way in doing it, but these player honorings should be about what they did on the ice and I don't know if anyone will argue that he isn't top 5 in all time goaltenders.

Meh. Y'all want to act like battered wives and keep coming back to the guy that abused you cuz you've got nothing better, then I say "go for it". Me? I'm the one who's really moved on when you think about it critically.

The one thing I heard him say that always angered me was when he said, "...I will be forever a Red Wing."

I think the reason he said that was A)because he won a cup there because he was finally surrounded with talent and B) because he was probably treated better in Detroit than he was in Buffalo. Those are two things that would have been different (at least from early indications) under Pegula. It is a shame that the organization developed such a terrible reputation. Lets face facts. Buffalo was lucky to discover Hasek and his talents would have emerged somewhere so it's not like he owed us for his big break. The team still trotted out a washed up Grant Fuhr over him for a season.

Yes he handled his departure quite poorly and his sour attitude towards management definitely hurt the fans that supported him. But he did a lot of good for the community and we owe him one of our two Stanley Cup finals appearances. If not for him, the late 90's would have been unbearable.

So I join those that thank him for what he did for the Sabres and am deeply dissapointed that the organization that was run by criminals and then the disinterested has run so many good and great players out of town. Here's to better days ahead!

Archived