Dominik Hasek

LGR4GM

Look, he was a great goalie, perhaps the greatest goalie of all time especially when you consider the talent around him. But, being the greatest goalie in the world does not mean you can play GM and determine who you can be traded for. What do I care if he goes home and retires? Either way he had already decided that he was going to screw over the organization, why should we have any part in his screwing over the organization by sending him to a Cup Contender for absolutely nothing of value in return? As a Sabres fan, all I care about is the return we get from a trade of such magnitude. Frankly, even if we don't get a roster player like Federov, Lidstrom, Yzerman, or someone good, then the Sabres should get 10 first round draft picks and own Detroit's draft stockpile for 10 years. If Holland doesn't bite, then thanks Dom for the great seasons and enjoy your retirement. He has no right to play GM.

Shouldn't some of the blame on that go to the GM at the time that allowed himself to be strong-armed by a player? To me it sounds like they allowed it to go down the way it did. Yeah Dom asked for it to be that way, but what prevented Darcy from telling him to F off and stay or retire.

I don't want this to turn into a management/darcy sucks thread (since we have a million of them) but blaming Dom solely for that ignores that the actual GM had to allow it to happen.

Good post otherwise though :thumbsup:

Did you not notice Chris Chelios up until last year?

I thought about that after I posted the other one. :oops:

Then again, who knows? Maybe Dom will become like the Gordie Howe of goaltenders.

At least it can be said that Chelios took about 99% of his time in the NHL and didn't go off to spend an extended period of time in some second-rate European league.

Of ocurse it did. And losing one guy is going to leave a team in shambles when he is the team MVP and he ensures that the trade won't be anywhere close to an even value deal.

And that's the crux of my (and the others that side with me) issue with Dom. He demanded a trade. OK, fine. It happens. But then he demanded a trade that wouldn't bring back anything close to even value. I suppose you can be proud of a guy who makes you bend over and take one up the mud canal so that he can win a chamionship. I can't. He screwed me out of a good return on his trade. I take getting screwed personally.

But that's just me I guess.

So he gives most of his career to a team going nowhere and suddenly it's his fault he wants to be traded to a contender? Sure we got ###### on the trade but we ###### him he ###### us. 1 all, get over it.

So he gives most of his career to a team going nowhere and suddenly it's his fault he wants to be traded to a contender? Sure we got ###### on the trade but we ###### him he ###### us. 1 all, get over it.

I'd like to get ###### to the tune of 9 million dollars a year.

I'd like to get ###### to the tune of 9 million dollars a year.

Lol, wouldn't we all. But these guys want to win, and he knew he was a great goalie on a team with less interest in winning the cup than making a profit. With all the business about Golisano I thought more people now, more than ever, would see why he left. As I say I'm not saying he wasn't an ass, I'm just saying we would ALL do the same thing.

Lol, wouldn't we all. But these guys want to win, and he knew he was a great goalie on a team with less interest in winning the cup than making a profit. With all the business about Golisano I thought more people now, more than ever, would see why he left. As I say I'm not saying he wasn't an ass, I'm just saying we would ALL do the same thing.

I doubt the Rigases ever turned a profit when they owned the team.

They put enough into the team to get it close to Cups in 99 and even 01. If Dom hadn't allowed that soft goal in Game 6 of the final, he might have been working on his second Cup in 01 when another softie derailed things. By 01, the Sabres' payroll was getting up there, probably around 10th in the league.

I doubt the Rigases ever turned a profit when they owned the team.

They put enough into the team to get it close to Cups in 99 and even 01. If Dom hadn't allowed that soft goal in Game 6 of the final, he might have been working on his second Cup in 01 when another softie derailed things. By 01, the Sabres' payroll was getting up there, probably around 10th in the league.

so no goal is now soft goal? seriously? Wow. Either way we didnt have the team to win the cup, simple as. World class goalie and an anemic offense.

so no goal is now soft goal? seriously? Wow. Either way we didnt have the team to win the cup, simple as. World class goalie and an anemic offense.

No, not No Goal, although maybe Dom could have made a better play on Modano's shot. Dallas' first goal.

Didn't have the team to win a Cup? They were in the third overtime of the sixth game of the final. Dallas was older and running on fumes by the time Hull "scored." Game 7 would have been... interesting.

No, not No Goal, although maybe Dom could have made a better play on Modano's shot. Dallas' first goal.

Didn't have the team to win a Cup? They were in the third overtime of the sixth game of the final. Dallas was older and running on fumes by the time Hull "scored." Game 7 would have been... interesting.

To be honest, whatever it was it's ancient history now. I'll respect him as a great player and an honor to have him play for us. Wish him all the best.

Archived