RIP Rick Martin

thesportsbuff

Is this exchange from my sig what you are referring to...

Robert: "What's your background, Larry?"

Quinn: "I'm a land developer."

Robert: "Do you think I could do your job?"

Quinn: "No, I don't think you could."

Robert: "Then what makes you believe you're a hockey man?"

- Buffalo News 4/19/09

Ouch! I wonder if Larry just walked away after the last blast from Robert.

I tend to think that exchange was apocryphal. I think the only source for that ever taking place was Rene Robert himself and obviously he might be "remembering" it in a way that favors himself (i.e. with him zinging Quinn).

No doubt that captures the spirit of one, if not many, of their arguments though.

I tend to think that exchange was apocryphal. I think the only source for that ever taking place was Rene Robert himself and obviously he might be "remembering" it in a way that favors himself (i.e. with him zinging Quinn).

No doubt that captures the spirit of one, if not many, of their arguments though.

I have always liked the word apocryphal. Just sayin'.

I can't say how i know, but, the Sabres have painted "7" behind the goals at both ends. Very classy!

A little of topic, but how do they do that? Do they have a machine that scrapes off exactly 1/4" or 1/2" of ice to get down to the painted layers in that area, or do they do it by hand with shovels or something else?

A little of topic, but how do they do that? Do they have a machine that scrapes off exactly 1/4" or 1/2" of ice to get down to the painted layers in that area, or do they do it by hand with shovels or something else?

From what i heard they re-did the whole ice today which they do often during a season and since they were doing it now, thats why they added the "7" today and not earlier. Maybe i'm wrong on the whole ice part, the guy who told me wasn't too big on detail and i didn't think to ask.

From what i heard they re-did the whole ice today which they do often during a season and since they were doing it now, thats why they added the "7" today and not earlier. Maybe i'm wrong on the whole ice part, the guy who told me wasn't too big on detail and i didn't think to ask.

That is correct. The scrape the ice down to the layer where it was painted, lay down the paint, and then build the ice back up in layers. We just had to do it here at RIT yesterday to put down NCAA logos for the womens d3 Finals.

The paint is also not so much paint as it is a powder mixed with water. Stuff gets all over your clothes haha

I know that everyone is mourning Rico in their own ways, but it would really REALLY help out the family if everyone showed up to the arena on the 24th. I can't be there, but my mother, father and brother are all going. I'd like the entire arena to be filled, not cause a Sabre died, but because a truly great person died and he needs to be honored. Yes, Rick was famous, but don't go cause he was famous or cause he wore our colors. Go because he was a good good human being and his family has lost that person. Go to support them.

I know that everyone is mourning Rico in their own ways, but it would really REALLY help out the family if everyone showed up to the arena on the 24th. I can't be there, but my mother, father and brother are all going. I'd like the entire arena to be filled, not cause a Sabre died, but because a truly great person died and he needs to be honored. Yes, Rick was famous, but don't go cause he was famous or cause he wore our colors. Go because he was a good good human being and his family has lost that person. Go to support them.

Corp, I expect there will be a good turnout that day for #7. Unfortunately I won't be there, but I am certain that there will be a lot of mourners there in person and FAR more (such as yourself & yours truly) that will be thinking of him that day.

Not having known him personally, but knowing many that did, he was a great person. I truly expect the community to help ease his family's burden.

More details on memorial service

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556716&cmpid=rss-News%20in%20English

The family of Rick Martin and the Buffalo Sabres today announced further details for the public memorial service to celebrate the life of Buffalo Sabres Hall of Famer and member of the famed French Connection, Rick Martin.

The service will take place this Thursday, March 24 beginning at 11 a.m. at HSBC Arena.

Doors will open at 10 a.m., and the service is expected to last one hour. Seating will be made available on a general admission basis. The stage will be positioned in front of the player benches, and all open seating will directly face the stage. There will be free parking available in the Sabres’ surface lots on Perry Street.

Fans not able to attend the service will be able to watch it live on www.sabres.com beginning at 11 a.m.

Archived