RIP Rick Martin

thesportsbuff

TBN:

The family of Rick Martin and the Sabres have announced there will be a public memorial service to celebrate the life of the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Famer and famed member of the French Connection at 11 a.m. March 24 in HSBC Arena. The Sabres will announce further details later this week.

The Sabres said anyone wishing to make a donation in Martin’s memory can direct it to Compass House, 1451 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14209.

what would we be making a donation for?

I threw back a few last night in honor of Rick. I'm going to quote Vinny Stigma from Agnostic Front--"15 pints and I'm still standing, Don't let the good times end!" Hold onto your loved ones, people...it's all about the GOOD TIMES.

I have heard and read accounts of pet owners' animals sensing that something is horribly wrong with their owners. Having said that, has anyone noticed that his German shepherd dog didn't run away but seemed to stay right by him as the people were trying to give him CPR?

I shudder to think how the Sabres organization would have handled Rico's passing had Tightwad Tom still been the owner of the team.

I'm not sure if this is necessary in a memorial thread. Whatever you may have thought of Quinn and Gollisano, it is a little unfair to think they wouldn't have done the right thing.

Larry Quinn did reach out to bring Martin back into the fold back in 2004.

I'm not sure if this is necessary in a memorial thread. Whatever you may have thought of Quinn and Gollisano, it is a little unfair to think they wouldn't have done the right thing.

Larry Quinn did reach out to bring Martin back into the fold back in 2004.

Even I wasn't sure if it was worth starting another thread over this. However, if the general consensus is to start another one with regards to TG, then either I or someone else just might do that.

It was nice for LQ to reach out to him. I only wish he had done the same to Rene Robert.

Even I wasn't sure if it was worth starting another thread over this. However, if the general consensus is to start another one with regards to TG, then either I or someone else just might do that.

It was nice for LQ to reach out to him. I only wish he had done the same to Rene Robert.

I think he did reach out to Rene Robert. I think Rene verbally biatch-slapped him.

I have no doubt that a classy recognition of some sort would have happened if TG still owned the team. I doubt that the helmet stickers would have been printed in time. In fact, maybe the entire tribute would have been tomorrow and not yesterday. It amazes me how quickly the Pegula management team moves when he wants something done. This is more of a credit to TP than it is a slap to TG, by the way; again, I have no doubt that something similar would have occurred.

I think he did reach out to Rene Robert. I think Rene verbally biatch-slapped him.

I have no doubt that a classy recognition of some sort would have happened if TG still owned the team. I doubt that the helmet stickers would have been printed in time. In fact, maybe the entire tribute would have been tomorrow and not yesterday. It amazes me how quickly the Pegula management team moves when he wants something done. This is more of a credit to TP than it is a slap to TG, by the way; again, I have no doubt that something similar would have occurred.

Well said 11.

Has anyone here besides me ever stayed at Compass House? When I was there in '92 after I got released from Bry-Lin I remember the staff really CARING about all the kids there. They helped me find work and I left there with a better opinion of myself. I'm so glad they're still around to help kids who have real problems. Bless them and bless the wonderful soul of Rick Martin.

Is this exchange from my sig what you are referring to...

Robert: "What's your background, Larry?"

Quinn: "I'm a land developer."

Robert: "Do you think I could do your job?"

Quinn: "No, I don't think you could."

Robert: "Then what makes you believe you're a hockey man?"

- Buffalo News 4/19/09

Ouch! I wonder if Larry just walked away after the last blast from Robert.

- Buffalo News 4/19/09

LOL, nicely played Rene....... :beer:

I have heard and read accounts of pet owners' animals sensing that something is horribly wrong with their owners. Having said that, has anyone noticed that his German shepherd dog didn't run away but seemed to stay right by him as the people were trying to give him CPR?

Yea, I thought that too. In a sad way it speaks to how much he was loved by everyone from the ppl who tried to save him to his dog who watched over him to the end. When the sabres win the cup, Pegula should get the French Connection guys together and give them rings as honary members of the team, and have an Extra one for Martin's family. I have wondered if those 3 and what they did helped keep this team here in some way. Maybe Golisano was a fan of them and thats why he stepped in. Idk, its just heartbreaking.

Yea, I thought that too. In a sad way it speaks to how much he was loved by everyone from the ppl who tried to save him to his dog who watched over him to the end. When the sabres win the cup, Pegula should get the French Connection guys together and give them rings as honary members of the team, and have an Extra one for Martin's family. I have wondered if those 3 and what they did helped keep this team here in some way. Maybe Golisano was a fan of them and thats why he stepped in. Idk, its just heartbreaking.

No offense to Martin, but those people who tried to revive him would have done the same no matter who it was.

Late to this thread.

Was in shock driving to the game when I tuned in to GR ~4:20PM and heard them talking about Rico. :cry:

Very strange feeling walking to the rink that day.

Too bad the Sabres couldn't get that 7th one.

The guy had to be the best pure shooter in team history.

In hindsight, I'm VERY glad the 3 skated out to greet Pags on Boxing Pagula Day. (There must be a better way to describe the day after Pegula Day.)

RIP Rico. I never met you but know a lot of people that did know you well. From all accounts you were one of the good GREAT ones. You'll be missed. 1-2-3-4-5-6 WE WANT SEVEN! :beer: :beer: :beer:

- Buffalo News 4/19/09

Among others, yes. But that exchange definitely stuck out in my memory. That quote is one of my favorites--or at least it was when we still had LQ to "kick around" as Nixon would have said.

I'm looking for photos of when the team raised their sticks towards Rico's banner at the end of Sundays game. I have seen the one from the Buffalo News, but havent seen any other. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I'm looking for photos of when the team raised their sticks towards Rico's banner at the end of Sundays game. I have seen the one from the Buffalo News, but havent seen any other. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I will try and PM you one man.

Archived