RIP Rick Martin

thesportsbuff

Farewell Rick Martin, you will always be remembered and revered by Sabres fans. There was just a thread about "your earliest Sabres memories", mine were of the French Connection, and the excitement those guys generated.

A shame he did not get to see the Sabres hoist the Cup...

I never saw him play, except for an Alumni Game in 1996, yet I am just crushed. It was so good to see the French Connection there with Terry Pegula and I never thought it would be the last time I saw them together.

I recently read a collection of stories about the early days of the Sabres called "then Perrault said to Rico..." I really enjoyed it. It made me feel like I have been a fan of the Sabres since 1970.

i don't know if any headline has ever shocked me as much as coming back to this site and seeing the front page. i actually woke up my wife from her nap from inhaling from the shock. i don't even know where to begin. just when TP extends the hand of reconciliation and martin reconnects with the organization, this has to happen? how?

my condolences to all of you--not just his immediate family or friends, but to all of you fans of the team. i reel with you in the shock and horror. may we all take solace in the memories we have of him as a person and player.

It was Rene Robert that was estranged from the organization.

Just got back to my home in Rochester following the game tonight. Heard the news by the press table as we were heading up to the 300 level seating area. I never saw him play myself but my mother who i was treating to the game grew up watching them; she looked at me in shock and disbelief when i told her. I teared up a bit during the moment of silence. It was really something hearing that entire arena full and silent. Seeing the boys in blue salute his number in the rafters after the game was really something else. Rest in peace Rico, you may be gone but you will never be forgotten.

I heard "We love you Rico" in the middle of it, but it almost sounded like whoever was next to them covered their mouth towards the end. Then at the very end before the cheering someone yelled "let's go sabres!!" and that kinda initiated the cheering.

Yeah I think you got it right, it was hard to hear, but it wasn't disrespectful. RJ was awesome of course.

Yeah I think you got it right, it was hard to hear, but it wasn't disrespectful. RJ was awesome of course.

Absolutely, the Rico comment was somewhat muffled and on the other side of the arena. The lets go sabres cheer however was one section to my right. Great game. I started shouting lets get seven for Rico and then "we want seven" chants started springing up everywhere. A sad day for the organization indeed, my mom wanted to buy one of the Sabres at Forty books before we even heard the news, Luckily they kept bringing more out after they ran out of what they had on display. I have a feeling a lot more people bought them today than usual.

Absolutely, the Rico comment was somewhat muffled and on the other side of the arena. The lets go sabres cheer however was one section to my right. Great game. I started shouting lets get seven for Rico and then "we want seven" chants started springing up everywhere. A sad day for the organization indeed, my mom wanted to buy one of the Sabres at Forty books before we even heard the news, Luckily they kept bringing more out after they ran out of what they had on display. I have a feeling a lot more people bought them today than usual.

Yeah I yelled that out once as well..... :beer:

It was a really nice tribute. PA, maybe you finally heard what the HSBC Arena sounds like when you really can hear a pin drop. Loved what the team did after the game.

I can't believe that there are only two out of three left. That's weird to me.

Just read a comment on the News site where someone recalls his broken English when he was a rookie. It's funny. I always thought of him as an native English speaking Canadian. Why wasn't his name pronounced Ree-chard Mar-TAN then?

Unexpectedly, I got very choked up when I heard this and during the moment of silence. I guess it's because as it's been said previously in this thread, I lost a hero of my youth today. Rest in Peace Rick.

I'm sure Tim Horton welcomed you upon arrival, and I'm glad you got to know Mr. Pegula and see your team in his hands.

So very sad.

As you cansee from my avatar and screen name i am a huge fan. Rick Martin was my favorite Sabre ever. I am supremely saddened by his passing. He was also my favorite athlete ever and my hero. We share the same birthday. 7 is my lucky number because of him. I rmember the first time he scored 50. I can still see himscoring against Ken dryden in the old Forum vs Montreal from over the blue line. His stats still hold up today and he does deserve serious consideration for the NHL hall of fame. I'll never forget when Dave Parrish of the Rangers hit him with an accidental high stick, Rico fell and hit his head on the ice. He wore a helmet from there on out, rightly so, but he was never really the same player afetr that. I think he may have gotten back to 30 goals after that, but he just wasn't the force that he used to be. The knee injury was a career ender. Hardest shot of man man Sabre ever. Best LW of any Sabre ever. Great person and man. You will be missed Rico. RIP #7.

Archived