Enroth

Marvelo

Enroth has proved to me that he belongs with the big club. He reminds me a bit of Don Edwards, solid positioning. I hope they can bring Enroth up starting now and do something with Lalime so they're not dragging him around needlessly. This team needs more flexibility in goal so Miller can stay fresh.

Enroth has proved to me that he belongs with the big club. He reminds me a bit of Don Edwards, solid positioning. I hope they can bring Enroth up starting now and do something with Lalime so they're not dragging him around needlessly. This team needs more flexibility in goal so Miller can stay fresh.

i understand this sentiment about enroth, and it seems to be the prevailing wisdom right now.

two thoughts and a question: (1) enroth's ability to be sharp in spot starts owes to the fact that he's been allowed to stay in portland and play as a #1. (2) like it or not, miller wants/needs lalime -- he's become a glorified goalie coach/sports psychologist for #30. (3) when and how would the team's flexibility insofar as calling up enroth change?

Nothing is going to change, when Miller needs a rest they will call up Enroth. Otherwise, they want him actually playing games, not sitting in lalime's chair.

Morning Patty, and I agree with what your sentiments are here.

I'll even wager they want Enroth down in Portland when the Pirates start their playoff series in the AHL.

Portland has a real chance to take the Calder Cup this year.

But I do like the fact the Enroth is brought up to play, it shows that Darcy and Lindy have confidence in him. And the team plays extremely hard infront of him.

Last night was a good win for the team, Enroth was a part of that, good for all of them, and good for us fans. We have much to look forward to next season as this team continues it's makeover in it's quest for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Next year, Enroth needs to be Miller's backup and he should start 1 game for every two of Miller's. That would be about 55 for Miller and 27 for Enroth. Miller is just going to have to man up and play less games to keep him fresh for a deep playoff run. Enroth proved he can win in this league, there is no reason to have him down in Portland again next year.

He reminds me a bit of Don Edwards, solid positioning.

interesting call. they're certainly similar in terms of size.

edwards is (accurately) listed on wikipedia as 5'8" 165#. the sabres list enroth as 5'10" and 166#. i believe the weight listed -- but i suspect he goes more like 5'9". (after all, miller is listed as 6'2" and 175#. again, the weight may be accurate -- but miller's 6' and no more.)

also interesting that enroth wears #1. i'm an old-timer, but not so much of an old-timer that i can recall whether edwards spent more time wearing #1 or #29. i seem to recall him more as #29.

anyway, i suspect the fact that they're both small 'tenders has a lot to do with any perceived similarities in their styles.

finally, if enroth is another donnie edwards, then by all means, allow ryan miller to play the role of bob sauve (although sauve was another mite in the goal).

At this point I'm inclined to believe that Enroth's greatest value to the team is as trade fodder. The guy is going to be good enough to be a starter (if he isn't already). We don't need another starter-capable goalie sitting behind Miller. We need a good quality backup sitting behind Miller. Developing Enroth and then sitting him for 60 games seems wasteful to me when there are teams in dire need of goaltending and have depth elsewhere that we can trade for.

IMO Enroth should be moved in the offseason to help aquire center or defence depth. There are several decent backup goaltenders that will be UFAs at the end of the season. Sign a UFA backup, move Enroth as a package to aquire another quality skater.

This assumes of course that Enroth has developed enough of a resume to be an atractive starting goalie candidate around the league.

At this point I'm inclined to believe that Enroth's greatest value to the team is as trade fodder. The guy is going to be good enough to be a starter (if he isn't already). We don't need another starter-capable goalie sitting behind Miller. We need a good quality backup sitting behind Miller. Developing Enroth and then sitting him for 60 games seems wasteful to me when there are teams in dire need of goaltending and have depth elsewhere that we can trade for.

I agree that we could get value for enroth from teams looking for a legitimate #1, but with Enroth on the bench in the big league next year many teams may perceive him as being groomed to take millers place someday. Wouldn't that in turn maximize his value? If i was a GM and i saw that Buffalo was taking its time developing a promising young goalie, his value would only raise in my eyes. Buffalo's been a place known for it's goal tending for a while now. This will give other teams a better opportunity to decide whether or not he has developed into a player that can handle the starting role. And why not use the kid while we get him there? He's good, there's no doubt about it. What if he turns out to be better than Miller? If thats the case we'd be better off hanging on to him. All in all i think it's too early to talk about trading the kid. Next year maybe, maybe not. I sure wouldnt mind having him around if Miller ever injured himself.

i understand this sentiment about enroth, and it seems to be the prevailing wisdom right now.

two thoughts and a question: (1) enroth's ability to be sharp in spot starts owes to the fact that he's been allowed to stay in portland and play as a #1. (2) like it or not, miller wants/needs lalime -- he's become a glorified goalie coach/sports psychologist for #30. (3) when and how would the team's flexibility insofar as calling up enroth change?

We all know it's Jerry Sullivan that manages the sports psyche of Ryan Miller. Lalime is merely his instrument.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree that we could get value for enroth from teams looking for a legitimate #1, but with Enroth on the bench in the big league next year many teams may perceive him as being groomed to take millers place someday. Wouldn't that in turn maximize his value? If i was a GM and i saw that Buffalo was taking its time developing a promising young goalie, his value would only raise in my eyes. Buffalo's been a place known for it's goal tending for a while now. This will give other teams a better opportunity to decide whether or not he has developed into a player that can handle the starting role. And why not use the kid while we get him there? He's good, there's no doubt about it. What if he turns out to be better than Miller? If thats the case we'd be better off hanging on to him. All in all i think it's too early to talk about trading the kid. Next year maybe, maybe not. I sure wouldnt mind having him around if Miller ever injured himself.

I agree with this. For now, keep Enroth up in Buffalo as Miller's backup for this year & next year and see how things progress.

interesting call. they're certainly similar in terms of size.

edwards is (accurately) listed on wikipedia as 5'8" 165#. the sabres list enroth as 5'10" and 166#. i believe the weight listed -- but i suspect he goes more like 5'9". (after all, miller is listed as 6'2" and 175#. again, the weight may be accurate -- but miller's 6' and no more.)

also interesting that enroth wears #1. i'm an old-timer, but not so much of an old-timer that i can recall whether edwards spent more time wearing #1 or #29. i seem to recall him more as #29.

anyway, i suspect the fact that they're both small 'tenders has a lot to do with any perceived similarities in their styles.

finally, if enroth is another donnie edwards, then by all means, allow ryan miller to play the role of bob sauve (although sauve was another mite in the goal).

I'm guessing that Edwards wore #1 more than #29.

That was a heckuva tandem.

IMO Enroth should be moved in the offseason to help aquire center or defence depth. There are several decent backup goaltenders that will be UFAs at the end of the season. Sign a UFA backup, move Enroth as a package to aquire another quality skater.

This assumes of course that Enroth has developed enough of a resume to be an atractive starting goalie candidate around the league.

I don't think Enroth would garner nearly enough return to justify a trade. There is a glut of goalies around the NHL, and Enroth only has a handful of NHL starts under his belt. No one is going to give the Sabres a fat package for Enroth on the assumption that he is ready to step in and be a starter.

I don't think Enroth would garner nearly enough return to justify a trade. There is a glut of goalies around the NHL, and Enroth only has a handful of NHL starts under his belt. No one is going to give the Sabres a fat package for Enroth on the assumption that he is ready to step in and be a starter.

You sure there is a glut? I can think of 4 teams right off the top of my head that don't have a goalie they can call a full time starter.

The question in my mind is, has Enroth got enough of a resume to be marketable to the teams lacking a true starting goalie. I don't know, I'm not a GM. And I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either. Even so, he'd most certainly have to be packaged with other assets to get the return we'd need.

I'm guessing that Edwards wore #1 more than #29.

That was a heckuva tandem.

Edwards wore 29 as a rookie in 66-67, and switched to #1 at the start of the 67-68 season.

As I said in another thread, Enroth may decide to go back to Sweden rather then be someone's back up in the NHL. He definitely won't go back to Portland. As for his trade value, ask Vancouver how much you can get for a promising back up.

He'll be on an NHL roster next year IMO. I think the Swedish League Salaries are just slightly more than the 2 way AHL contracts for first year. (under $100,000) Staying on a NHL roster and playing less for around $900,000 is not a bad deal.

There is always Russia, but...

As I said in another thread, Enroth may decide to go back to Sweden rather then be someone's back up in the NHL. He definitely won't go back to Portland. As for his trade value, ask Vancouver how much you can get for a promising back up.

Gotta love a good Mika Noronen reference.

why on earth are we talking about trading enroth? Seriously worst idea ever.

Please expand upon this. I've posted a sound, logical reason why it makes sense to entertain trading Enroth. I post it because I don't mind someone shooting holes through it. But if you are just going to call it the worst idea ever, at least have the courtesy to provide a sound, logical reason why so I can have my turn at shooting holes in your idea. ;)

Archived