Sabres rumors

Oakstream

You mean, exactly what the owner and GM said this week on the radio?

I must have a mental block about the terms buyers and sellers. Because if the Sabres are looking to the future, wouldn't they be selling assets for picks and prospects? Buying would entail trading away picks and prospects, to some extent mortgaging the future. It seems to me Darcy and Terry have hinted they would be selling.

Not that they couldn't be putting a smokescreen out there about their intentions.

I must have a mental block about the terms buyers and sellers. Because if the Sabres are looking to the future, wouldn't they be selling assets for picks and prospects? Buying would entail trading away picks and prospects, to some extent mortgaging the future. It seems to me Darcy and Terry have hinted they would be selling.

Not that they couldn't be putting a smokescreen out there about their intentions.

Not if you trade for guys who can help you long term, such as a Weiss, Stastny or a Penner.

I must have a mental block about the terms buyers and sellers.

Which leads to what I've been trying to convey for a while. Are the two mutually exclusive? Obviously, teams like Ottawa are the truest definition of a seller, but look at what the Bruins have done. They gave up good young talent and brought in more seasoned talent for a playoff run. Did they mortgage their future?

look at what the Bruins have done. They gave up good young talent and brought in more seasoned talent for a playoff run. Did they mortgage their future?

Depends on what you think about Peverley and Kelly, because the rest of it was purely mortgaging some future for the current playoff run. Wheeler is going to be a RFA, Colborne has potential, and a first, a second, and a conditional second-round picks are definitely valuable. Now, do you mean to suggest that they didn't kill their future with their moves? Certainly, they didn't. However, unless you feel one year of Peverley and Kelly is worth more than all the rest of that stuff to their future, then it is somewhat mortgaged to pay for this run.

Depends on what you think about Peverley and Kelly, because the rest of it was purely mortgaging some future for the current playoff run. Wheeler is going to be a RFA, Colborne has potential, and a first, a second, and a conditional second-round picks are definitely valuable. Now, do you mean to suggest that they didn't kill their future with their moves? Certainly, they didn't. However, unless you feel one year of Peverley and Kelly is worth more than all the rest of that stuff to their future, then it is somewhat mortgaged to pay for this run.

The posibilities are melting my brain. I am sure DR is thinking about what type of oatmeal to have for breakfast right now. As he is using his oral pic to clean tonights watercrest tea sandwhich out of his teeth.

If the Sabres were to somehow get Stastny on this team on Monday, I will take back everything bad I have every said about Darcy.

However, I think there is a better chance we will have more bad things to say about Darcy on Monday after he pulls the same old crap he usually does on Deadline Day. I completely expect the same old Darcy come Monday......same excuses.

I will be the first to admit I am wrong if they bring a star to this team. I just think we will all be back here Monday complaining again.

If the Sabres were to somehow get Stastny on this team on Monday, I will take back everything bad I have every said about Darcy.

However, I think there is a better chance we will have more bad things to say about Darcy on Monday after he pulls the same old crap he usually does on Deadline Day. I completely expect the same old Darcy come Monday......same excuses.

I will be the first to admit I am wrong if they bring a star to this team. I just think we will all be back here Monday complaining again.

Truth be told, Stastny would cost a lot. I'm not even going to speculate how much it'd cost but there would def be people on here complaining that we over paid. You just can't make everybody happy.

From an "insider" at WFAN in NYC, one of the best breaking news guys there is, not just NHL but NFL too.

Per Ottawa Sun - Sabres to be active.

http://www.ottawasun...6/17421766.html

Oooooooooohhhh. I just got what the French call a frisson.

Not if you trade for guys who can help you long term, such as a Weiss, Stastny or a Penner.

+1

The posibilities are melting my brain. I am sure DR is thinking about what type of oatmeal to have for breakfast right now. As he is using his oral pic to clean tonights watercrest tea sandwhich out of his teeth.

Very nice.

Truth be told, Stastny would cost a lot. I'm not even going to speculate how much it'd cost but there would def be people on here complaining that we over paid. You just can't make everybody happy.

Another good post. You're on a roll tonight!

My 2 cents: I think there is a real likelihood that our new enthusiastic fan of an owner wants DR to bring in a very good player before the deadline to get the fans (and himself) fired up.

No doubt he would cost a lot. That is one of the reasons (besides Darcy being the GM) that I know it will never happen.

Unfortunately, #1 Centers are just hard to come by. They don't grow on trees and when you do get one, you don't let them go. With the Sabres, though, one time it might be right to overpay a little, though. IF it costs you a little more to do it, I just think you have to do it......just once. Obviously, there would be a few players off limits that we just wouldn't want to trade, but I would definitely looks at what it would take and highly consider it even if it meant overpaying a little (depending on what would be involved). The Sabres just need a culture change.

I just don't know.....while you don't want to overpay, you might just have to in the short-term to get better in the long-term. Not worth thinking about it too much, though. It isn't going to happen.

I will be surprised if we get anyone of any real value here on deadline. But if it does happen. I will go shouting through the streets. It'll be the streets of tampa so no one will care or understand, but you get the point.

Wish list: in order.

I realize you'd only be able to get one, im not saying trade for them all.

B Richards

Stastny

D. Brown

J Michael Liles

Iginla

If your team's need is a #1 center, you will certainly overpay if you decide to fill that need at the trade deadline.

TPegs and his team will have to consider this over the next 30 hours. This won't be Darcy's decision alone.

True that, especially if you believe the Buf News article about Black where he says it's not a tiered management structure but a level one where he, Darcy and Sawyer discuss all decisions.

The one point not mentioned but a cause for hope for me for a big trade either at the deadline or this off season is the fact both Sawyer and Black bring their own network of Hockey connections to the table which could be the open door or small influence to get a another team to trade with us beyond what connections Darcy may have.

This team not only should get a number 1 center they desperately need one and for the last 4 years Darcy hasnt adressed either in FA, trades, or in the Draft. This summer would should draft the best and biggest center in the 1st round. He has to be at least 6' and 180pds with good hands whose a hard worker. Do you ever wonder if they ask the draftees questions like "Five years from now would you like to be earning more money or playing for a cup contender" or "If you knew you knew that you were going to be injured 1 season from now and your career would end what would you want in this last season?" If they say money you know you have the wrong guy. Look at Detroit, Datsuyk and Hetterberg are not 1st round or even 5th round picks, but they work hard. We need to find the hard working has to win and money isnt that important center. We need the center whos always at practice always working always trying harder than everyone around him, Ever see Crosby slack off? Nope. ever see roy? I will point to the ultimate example of a hard worker even though it is not hockey, Michael Jordan. Didnt make the college team, worked with coach eventually became a starter, then was drafted 2nd overall. Any guy who goes from not being able to play to being considered in the first round is the guy you want. Mike Weber is a hard work and when Sekera pushes hes a good puck moving def as per last night. But again we need that guy at center whos such a hard worker he can call out anyone and out of respect that nod and say you are right I am gonna step it up. Lets find this mythical person and get him, now

I have visions of Pegula sitting in a war room with Darcy, remembering how he used to watch all those matchups against the Bruins simultaneously dreading and admiring #8 in black/gold.

How's this for a completely vague, "if I were a billionaire" wish: I want anything that's 25 years old or younger, with at least a year left on his contract, that's got that new Cam Neely-ish smell. :-)

I want teams looking at our roster and cringing and dying a little on the inside when they think about having to go into corner against those guys.

just wanna say that i wouldn't overpay for stastny. would i love to have him? yes. but admittedly i don't watch him play very often and to be honest i was really frustrated with him throughout the Olympics -- he didn't play well at all. I mean there is a reason Colorado might not keep him right? he's not meeting expectations there. idk how he is on faceoffs or anything but Derek Roy has pretty close to the same offensive numbers and more goals scored. IDK. sounds to me like a second line center.

just wanna say that i wouldn't overpay for stastny. would i love to have him? yes. but admittedly i don't watch him play very often and to be honest i was really frustrated with him throughout the Olympics -- he didn't play well at all. I mean there is a reason Colorado might not keep him right? he's not meeting expectations there. idk how he is on faceoffs or anything but Derek Roy has pretty close to the same offensive numbers and more goals scored. IDK. sounds to me like a second line center.

He's been at or above 50% on faceoffs for the past fours seasons, including 671-594 (53%) this season. He's also known as more of a playmaker (he's averaged nearly 1G and 2A every 3GP for his career, including 59 assists last year), which is what you need paired with Vanek. While not overly physical (though, he does have 65 hits in 60GP this year), he is considerably bigger than Roy (6'0", 205lbs reported vs. 5'9", 184lbs.) Is he a true super-star #1 center? Probably not. However, paired with Vanek, he should make a strong first line, pushing Roy to center a decent second line. Then, if you manage to find that true super-star #1 in the draft, he'll be on an entry-level contract until Paul is coming off of his current contract.

D. Brown

Ryan Kesler

Why do certain posters insist on bringing up these guys every year around the deadline? HAS ANYONE, ANYWHERE SAID THESE FRANCHISE TYPE LEADERS ARE AVAILABLE TO ANYONE? These players are what teams build around. You have to be an idiot to think these guys will be dealt at the deadline unless Tyler Myers is involved.

Ya stastny isnt a gigantic leep over roy. If You could just get a guy, I would get Ryan Kesler who is cheaper and does more however you would never ever get him out of vancouver. But that guy would have been great here

In my opinion I think that a team can be just as succesful with 2 second line centers as it can with the traditional thinking of a 1 2 3 and 4th line center..So going forward I wouldnt be opposed at all to another run of a Drury Briere type scenario..Roy and Stastny could get close to those two..

Also I have been giving some thought as to why the SAbres would have any reason to move Connoly at this time. First off they are short centers as it is and Regier has this infatuation with him..So why after sticking with him all this time would he give him up at all???? If anything I would expect them to let him play out the season and ride off into the sunset and play in the local old pro pickup game at the Pepesi Center every thursday morning...

Why do certain posters insist on bringing up these guys every year around the deadline? HAS ANYONE, ANYWHERE SAID THESE FRANCHISE TYPE LEADERS ARE AVAILABLE TO ANYONE? These players are what teams build around. You have to be an idiot to think these guys will be dealt at the deadline unless Tyler Myers is involved.

I think both posters were pretty clear that they were giving "if we could get ANYONE" wishes, not realistic hopes for the team. They picked those guys because they were guys you could build around, not because they're available.

Archived