Sabres rumors

Oakstream

unless Lilles is a replacement for a Dman being traded for a forward of course.

If your trading a dman for a forward who are you trading for liles because if I here a 1st or 2nd round pick I might have to go root for the bruins because thats a horrendous trade. :pirate:

I like how the bruins lost savard so they went right out and got peverly. We lost roy and we went right out and got... o wait nm. We play in a tough Division because Montreal and Boston and usually ottawa or toronto are good. Now 3 of those teams have made moves to improve and 1 of those teams has made moves to improve next year. The Sabres do nothing. I am sorry but every single draft pick you make isnt going to be a superstar and sometimes you need to let your "veterans" go. Another example of Boston making good moves. They picked up Rechi a couple years ago for very little and the guys been a super solid vet what do the sabres do? We got Niedermyer... wooo. :wallbash:

Why do certain posters insist on bringing up these guys every year around the deadline? HAS ANYONE, ANYWHERE SAID THESE FRANCHISE TYPE LEADERS ARE AVAILABLE TO ANYONE? These players are what teams build around. You have to be an idiot to think these guys will be dealt at the deadline unless Tyler Myers is involved.

Yeah I guess that means I can't want them then. You're an idiot to think you shouldn't want those people. No one is untouchable.

Yeah I guess that means I can't want them then. You're an idiot to think you shouldn't want those people. No one is untouchable.

I'd want them on my team as well, I just didn't know thus turned into the "which players would you like on the Sabres thread". If that's the case, I'll take Crosby, Ovechkin, Pronger, Lucic, Neal, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, as well as brown and Kesler.

For a few years, I was a big Liles fan and hoped the Sabres would somehow get him, especially after the Sabres traded Campbell away. Now, not so much. Liles is basically the exact same player as Campbell with the only difference being he has a better shot from the point and can score goals whereas Campbell is more of a set-up/playmaking type offensive defenseman. Both Campbell and Liles play the O'Lay form of defense, so I'm not convinced he's that much of an upgrade and gives the Sabres what they need.

However, I can get on board with a Liles trade if it also involves Stastny, but I don't see that happening. Sure trading Butler or Sekera for Liles may upgrade the defense a little bit, but it really doesn't address the key need the Sabres have right now, which is going after a top 6 forward, specifically a center, who will come in and help guide this team to the playoffs this year and replace Connolly next year when he is not re-signed and when Derek Roy comes back. Stastny can be that guy, but it would take a pretty big deal in order to do that such as Gerbe, Sekera/Butler, and a 1st round pick and perhaps more for Liles and Stastny. I just don't see the Sabres giving up that much for these two, at least not as long as Darcy is the GM. We'll see what's in store for tomorrow.

Honestly, I'd like to see the Sabres put in a waiver claim for Ty Conklin so that he can stop beating the Sabres and would upgrade the backup goaltending immediately.

I'd want them on my team as well, I just didn't know thus turned into the "which players would you like on the Sabres thread". If that's the case, I'll take Crosby, Ovechkin, Pronger, Lucic, Neal, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, as well as brown and Kesler.

If you want all them you better be prepared to lose Tim Connolly.

Fine justify a 2nd round pick for Liles, ready go. :oops:

I'm not sure it would cost that much, as we've seen players with NTCs who are willing to waive them to go to a limited number of places can get a minimum return (McCabe to NYR).

However, the Sabres have given up league high 11 short handed goals. One of the major reasons for this is the lack of a competent Dman to play the powerplay. Liles has 7 more powerplay points than any Sabres defensman (Myers). He's also scored double digit goals in 4 of his 7 NHL seasons, and despite your earlier post - last season was his first season where he missed a prolonged period of time due to injury. Also, despite being considered an offensive-defensive, has posted a near even +/- in all seasons except for 2008-09 which was a deplorable year for Colorado which they finished with the 2nd worst record in the league. He's also signed beyond just this season, which players who were traded for comparable or higher picks (Kaberle,Wisniewski) are not.

If Stastny come with liles I am all for it, if not I am not sure it will help alot. Liles contract is the main reason. I can think of a better way to spend 4.2mil but honestly if we do anything I will be happy. So to everyone hoping for Liles, if we dont have to give up much than lets get him.

I like how the bruins lost savard so they went right out and got peverly. We lost roy and we went right out and got... o wait nm. We play in a tough Division because Montreal and Boston and usually ottawa or toronto are good. Now 3 of those teams have made moves to improve and 1 of those teams has made moves to improve next year. The Sabres do nothing. I am sorry but every single draft pick you make isnt going to be a superstar and sometimes you need to let your "veterans" go. Another example of Boston making good moves. They picked up Rechi a couple years ago for very little and the guys been a super solid vet what do the sabres do? We got Niedermyer... wooo. :wallbash:

Are you kidding me?! The Bruins 'traded for' Peverly soley to stay under the cap in the trade for Kaberle. They had to deal Blake Wheeler and Stuart. Wheeler is an up and comming player in this league. The trade wasn't to upgrade the team. Honestly, your posts are getting tough to read....

Are you kidding me?! The Bruins 'traded for' Peverly soley to stay under the cap in the trade for Kaberle. They had to deal Blake Wheeler and Stuart. Wheeler is an up and comming player in this league. The trade wasn't to upgrade the team. Honestly, your posts are getting tough to read....

I'm gonna disagree here. I'm sure the Kaberle deal had a little bit to do with it but there's a reason they targeted Peverly, and that's because he's a solid second-or-third line playmaking center, and they needed one. Same reasoning with Chris Kelly. Moving Stuart for a prospect was the "make room for Kaberle" part.

Lets take a step back. The bruins targeted Peverly and Kaberle and found a way to make it work. They did not have to dump cap because They shut Savard down for the Season freeing up 4mil in cap space due to LTIR, much in the same way Pittsburg could get Kovalev because Malkin is on LTIR. So The bruins did not downgrade by trading for Peverly they in fact shored up their center line. Blake Wheeler is good but considering that its his 3rd full season its hard to say how good. Peverly is an undrafted guy who last season had 55pts and looks on pace for the same this season. I am sorry but I disagree with your assessment as the trade was to upgrade. They have Horton, Rechi, and ryder all on the wing and 2 of which they need to determine if they are resigning. From what I see Boston is making a cup room and was willing to give up some possible future considerations to bring it home. Its not actually hard to follow my posts but you have to look at what every other team has and is paying for players. Its funny that the sabres would never ever ever give up youth for a cup run or if they do they don't go for it all. It hould be interesting to see tomorrow unfold.

I'm gonna disagree here. I'm sure the Kaberle deal had a little bit to do with it but there's a reason they targeted Peverly, and that's because he's a solid second-or-third line playmaking center, and they needed one. Same reasoning with Chris Kelly. Moving Stuart for a prospect was the "make room for Kaberle" part.

The last two NHL seasons plus this one:

Wheeler: 21G 24A 45P 08/09

18 20 38 09/10

12 17 29 10/11

Peverly 13G 22A 35P 08/09

22 33 55 09/10

14 20 24 10/11

Stats look pretty similar to me except Wheeler is four years younger with more upside.

Honestly, I'd like to see the Sabres put in a waiver claim for Ty Conklin so that he can stop beating the Sabres and would upgrade the backup goaltending immediately.

This. Heck I'd even take a flier on Pascal Leclaire if they can't get Conklin. I was even thinking that Leclaire would be an upgrade over Lalime but I didn't know he's been hurt and fighting an undisclosed lower-body injury.

This. Heck I was originally thinking that I'd even take a flier on Pascal Leclaire if they can't get Conklin, but that was before I found out that he's been hurt and fighting an undisclosed lower-body injury.

A good article on the Peverley trade I found just recently.

HERE

Sounds like a salary dump to obtain Kaberle.

Ok, but the bruins made the trade for peverly to dump salary and add a center who can play wing. the article says it so it was a win win. Peverly made sense and it made them better because again like the article says wheeler wasnt playing alot. You have to give up something to get something.

Archived