No Roy, no problem.

Skibum

I can see Connolly back as well. If he is...this is how it goes down. Darcy signs him 2 years for $5.9 million. In his head, Darcy can then say..."We got a $5 million center for $2 million. What a discount!"

I begging this organization to make me spend money on it next year...but so far it feels like same old same old. A free program, carpet remnant, and cuddle session with the Pegula girls just isn't going to do it for me.

:clapping:

I'm a believer. I just think Roy has consistently "led" them to ruin.

I can go along with this. However, Roy is going to be one of the most attractive bargaining chips for bringing in the guys that the Sabres really need -- ie guys with both skill and guts. Those guys aren't cheap.

How are you going to hide the first from the second?

How are you going to hide the first from the second?

It's less contradictory than it sounds. The Sabres traded for Brad Boyes because they thought he'd be able to do better in Buffalo than he was doing in St. Louis, and so far they were right to think so. It's tough to trade for a 100% sure thing.

Roy is extremely talented and can produce on the ice. And he doesn't cost too much. That's enough right there to make him attractive to other teams even if there are concerns about his maturity. He'd probably even benefit from a change of scenery, just like I think the Sabres would benefit from moving him...but only as long as they get someone good in return.

i dont think we should trade roy. hes responsible defenseivly, kills penaltys, can play the powerplay, backchecks always, decent in the faceoff circle and consistently get points. and for what like 4 million a year. hes an ideal center on any team. the only reason any of you or talking about trading him is because he got injured and the swords are doin ok without him. that aint right. trading roy would be a huge mistake. hes our best player far and away.

Please explain what results you are using for a team game to measure personality and leadership for an individual?

OK, the first thing I said was that he has a strong personality. That seems fairly easy to prove. He's worn an 'A' on his sweater since 2007 which means he's vocal enough that his teammates voted him an alternate captain or Ruff chose him for that role to capitalize on his ability to speak out.

The part where his leadership didn't work out is how mentally soft the team has been for most of the time since Summer 2007. Paul Hamilton described the team as "wanting to win, but only if it's easy" and that sounds about right. The 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 teams were pretty reliable when it came to falling apart at the first sign of adversity. They also weren't focused or confident enough to do what it takes to win in the NHL. Hockey is definitely an effort sport and the Sabres just didn't have it. The team didn't have leaders and it showed. That's not ALL Roy's fault, but he was an alternate captain which means he had a chance to make a difference but didn't.

Then you mix in the stories about Roy specifically. Hamilton has one about the team having a closed door meeting after a disappointing loss: Roy started passing out fliers for a toga party as soon as the meeting ended. Not the end of the world, but definitely not the way a mature professional would handle himself. Chris Parker (Bulldog on WGR) has another where Roy literally told an opposing player on the ice to "take it easy" because "it's just a game" after a play. There are a couple others that are similar that I can't remember offhand. Now maybe ALL of these stories are completely false. Maybe for some reason employees of the radio station that broadcasts Sabres games and therefore benefits from fan enthusiasm for the team decided to completely fabricate stories that demean Roy's character. But I doubt it. It's more likely that where there's smoke, there's fire. It's more likely Roy was happy to put up good numbers, win a few games, and mainly enjoy a charmed life as a pro athlete. He has that right, but it doesn't make him mature or professional, and it definitely doesn't make him a good leader.

So based on EVERYTHING we know about Roy and EVERYTHING we know about how the Sabres have done since he was placed in a leadership role in Summer 2007, I'm confident saying he hasn't been a good leader.

OK, the first thing I said was that he has a strong personality. That seems fairly easy to prove. He's worn an 'A' on his sweater since 2007 which means he's vocal enough that his teammates voted him an alternate captain or Ruff chose him for that role to capitalize on his ability to speak out.

The part where his leadership didn't work out is how mentally soft the team has been for most of the time since Summer 2007. Paul Hamilton described the team as "wanting to win, but only if it's easy" and that sounds about right. The 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 teams were pretty reliable when it came to falling apart at the first sign of adversity. They also weren't focused or confident enough to do what it takes to win in the NHL. Hockey is definitely an effort sport and the Sabres just didn't have it. The team didn't have leaders and it showed. That's not ALL Roy's fault, but he was an alternate captain which means he had a chance to make a difference but didn't.

Then you mix in the stories about Roy specifically. Hamilton has one about the team having a closed door meeting after a disappointing loss: Roy started passing out fliers for a toga party as soon as the meeting ended. Not the end of the world, but definitely not the way a mature professional would handle himself. Chris Parker (Bulldog on WGR) has another where Roy literally told an opposing player on the ice to "take it easy" because "it's just a game" after a play. There are a couple others that are similar that I can't remember offhand. Now maybe ALL of these stories are completely false. Maybe for some reason employees of the radio station that broadcasts Sabres games and therefore benefits from fan enthusiasm for the team decided to completely fabricate stories that demean Roy's character. But I doubt it. It's more likely that where there's smoke, there's fire. It's more likely Roy was happy to put up good numbers, win a few games, and mainly enjoy a charmed life as a pro athlete. He has that right, but it doesn't make him mature or professional, and it definitely doesn't make him a good leader.

So based on EVERYTHING we know about Roy and EVERYTHING we know about how the Sabres have done since he was placed in a leadership role in Summer 2007, I'm confident saying he hasn't been a good leader.

I don't know how much truth there is with some of the Roy stories you mentioned, but if they are true, I would guess that Ruff and Regier would know about them also. Which leads to a bigger question, why would they choose to keep a player with the stated reputation on the team?

Very good conversations on Roy.

Roy and Vanek are very good together, and Roy is only 4 million dollar cap hit. Roy was on a point per game pace.

In other words, Roy isn't going anywhere. You'll most likely see Vanek, Roy and Boyes on a line next season.

Connolly is gone, they aren't going to keep him come the off season. He doesn't fit the role of the type of Center we need and at around 4 million dollars is way to pricey for a 3rd line center that is either injury prone or can't produce consistenlty.

Stafford is going to be re-signed, him and Ennis have found a little chemistry. These 2 need the missing center we all speak on in my opinion.

Pominville is the odd man out at right wing to me. With the return of Roy next season, that puts Boyes back to right wing. Pominville becomes a piece to a trade package that brings in that elusive center, in my opinion.

Don't bother looking outside of the organization for defensive help, not with the over flowing barrel of talent we have in the pipeline now. If it's defensive help you really want for this team, look to Portland, or you can hope Regier actually ships out a couple of defensive prospects for that help.

ask yourself this, is roy in the top 25 of centers... when healthy, i say yes.

IMO he's about #25. I'd rather have Stamkos, Sedin, Zetterberg, Toews, Kopitar, Sharp, B Richards, Crosby, Staal, Kesler, Malkin, Carter, Getzlaf, Briere, Thorton, Tavares, M Richards, Marleau, Duchene, Datsyuk, Backstrom, Pavelski, Stasny. Yeah, #25 looks about right. :D And I think he's about equivalent to Grabovsky, Koivu, Weiss, Krejci, Ribeiro.

I have no problem with Roy staying but we need to slot a center in front of him. My gut tells me that Roy isn't the kind of competitor that is going to lead us to the promised land. But that doesn't mean he can't be used in a supporting role. He can be a useful #2 center if he has high energy linemates. The problem is, he's been set up with Vanek and Stafford, two guys who noone is going to call high energy wingers. Gerbe might be the tonic that Roy needs.

I can see Connolly back as well. If he is...this is how it goes down. Darcy signs him 2 years for $5.9 million. In his head, Darcy can then say..."We got a $5 million center for $2 million. What a discount!"

I begging this organization to make me spend money on it next year...but so far it feels like same old same old. A free program, carpet remnant, and cuddle session with the Pegula girls just isn't going to do it for me.

Dude! Years of betrayal have worn down your faith. I'm here to tell you that it's different this time.

They are going to make the playoffs, they're going to do better this year in the playoffs than they did last year, and they're going to get somebody good this summer.

That's the truth, and if you're still interested in doubling down on our bet, we can work the above into it in some fashion.

I'm calling BS on that story.

Fair enough, but he's mentioned this incident several times on the radio. I can't see why he'd make something up like that, or keep going back to it if he wasn't sure it happened. Say what you want about Schoop and Parker but their show isn't about rumors and dirt on players. They side with Sabres management on most things. They've made a point of standing up for Regier and Quinn, and they were extra careful talking about Connolly's mysterious black eye from Miller's charity event earlier this year.

My guess is that story is more true than false. And if that's right, it raises some questions about how badly Roy wants to win.

The only silver lining is that they may have happened before this season, when Roy apparently started taking his job a little more seriously.

I'd rather keep Roy than Stafford. With all the young talent springing up, and the possibility of signing free agents, I think they have to part with at least one of these guys. No way to I break the bank on Stafford

I would be really suprised if a scoring forward isn't traded in the offseason. There seems to be a surplus of wingers, especially RW, so that is where I expect movement.

I would be really suprised if a scoring forward isn't traded in the offseason. There seems to be a surplus of wingers, especially RW, so that is where I expect movement.

Makes perfect sense. The problem is the Sabres haven't been in this position in so long (i.e. geenlight to trade for anything they really need) that it's hard to know what course of action DR will take. I know it bucks his trend but I almost expect him to do something out of the ordinary maybe because he finally can.

Fair enough, but he's mentioned this incident several times on the radio. I can't see why he'd make something up like that, or keep going back to it if he wasn't sure it happened. Say what you want about Schoop and Parker but their show isn't about rumors and dirt on players. They side with Sabres management on most things. They've made a point of standing up for Regier and Quinn, and they were extra careful talking about Connolly's mysterious black eye from Miller's charity event earlier this year.

My guess is that story is more true than false. And if that's right, it raises some questions about how badly Roy wants to win.

The only silver lining is that they may have happened before this season, when Roy apparently started taking his job a little more seriously.

Maybe Roy said, "You're just gay."

I find it implausible that Rob can stand at ice level and hear conversations that well.

Archived