No Roy, no problem.

Skibum

Makes perfect sense. The problem is the Sabres haven't been in this position in so long (i.e. geenlight to trade for anything they really need) that it's hard to know what course of action DR will take. I know it bucks his trend but I almost expect him to do something out of the ordinary maybe because he finally can.

My guess is that black and regier have already started putting together offseason scenarios. Like brad richards and if he becomes available where are they comfortable going with that. As soon as the season ends for everyone they might start deciding on contracts for rfa/ufa and then by july 1 go for it. (whatever it is)

Ideally we could just pick all the players and keep them in building the team but I think with the lack of center depth/talent and the less than stellar center fa class, we are pretty much guaranteed to have roy at least next season.

Like it was mentioned upthread there's no options there. RW might be a different story though...

Roy looks like damaged goods. A few weeks ago he had the walking ability of FDR. Just hope his career as a Sabre isn't shot because nobody will give you doodoo for him this offseason.

Roy was at a church last week. No brace, no cane. Reading books to kids.

Point per game center for only 4.5MM, we have no centers right now, so the logical thing to do is trade our best one!

the only center on the sabres who makes 4.5m is connolly whose not a point per game player... Derek Roy who makes 4mil per season for the next 2 years is a point per game guy and I agree with you it is quite foolish to trade him considering we have what after that? Hecht?

Heres and interesting article on players scoring goals based off of ice time... Stafford ranks 4th... http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=359023

the only center on the sabres who makes 4.5m is connolly whose not a point per game player... Derek Roy who makes 4mil per season for the next 2 years is a point per game guy and I agree with you it is quite foolish to trade him considering we have what after that? Hecht?

Heres and interesting article on players scoring goals based off of ice time... Stafford ranks 4th... http://www.tsn.ca/bl...llen/?id=359023

Roy's making 4.5 next year and 5.5 the year after. His salary CAP is 4 million.

Roy's making 4.5 next year and 5.5 the year after. His salary CAP is 4 million.

his salary cap number is the one that really matters though, remember pegula said if he needs money he will drill a gas well but you are right I took the post at face value and did not look up his actual salary good call.

My whole problem is "everyone" want a PPG center and is willing to pay them big bucks. 7-8 million a season.

We have Roy, close to PPG at 4 mill cap hit and we want to trade him? WTF?

I do not understand trading roy either, it makes no sense. It comes from the theory that he is lockeroom cancer. But how many of those games early in the season when the whole team sucked would we have won if roy hadnt shown up to play? He kept us from being completely terrible and yes his injury turned into a good thing because the team grew up and matured because he couldnt carry them but to say we should trade him for x is nuts. Roy's absence has little to do with the higher player morale. If Pegula did not take over maybe you have more to go on there but he did. Roy is better than connolly but ppl are like hey lets resign him that lazy sob will be a great 3rd line center... wtf? Seriously. Derek Roy is not one of my favorite sabres but if we make it to the second round and he comes back I am going to be doing flips.

Heres what i would trade roy for, Roy and Pommers for Stamkos and no picks, there ya go. :death:

My whole problem is "everyone" want a PPG center and is willing to pay them big bucks. 7-8 million a season.

If you got a guy like Iginla in here, he would shape up Roy in a heartbeat. I think Roy has it in him to be a Theo Fleury type if he feels it is worth it. This team has been a rudderless ship for too long. That is what drives me nuts the most about the transition of power, yet seeming status quo. Roy, Gaustad, Stafford, Myers have been begging to improve by bringing in a couple fellas that will charge that hill. Unfortunately, instead of General Patton, we have Patton Oswald shaping the roster.

If you got a guy like Iginla in here, he would shape up Roy in a heartbeat. I think Roy has it in him to be a Theo Fleury type if he feels it is worth it. This team has been a rudderless ship for too long. That is what drives me nuts the most about the transition of power, yet seeming status quo. Roy, Gaustad, Stafford, Myers have been begging to improve by bringing in a couple fellas that will charge that hill. Unfortunately, instead of General Patton, we have Patton Oswald shaping the roster.

So ur in the "bring a better vet to the table" discussion. I mean, rather than a Stamkos type player?

So ur in the "bring a better vet to the table" discussion. I mean, rather than a Stamkos type player?

I don't think Richards is the right fit even. I want to target guys that know how to play tough, and that are leaders. Iginla a few months ago could have been had for a semi reasonable deal. I will overpay a true leader that has been through wars and brings it, even if they are clearly on the downswing. That is what has been needed the most since the dawn of time. If the Sabres made a run at Gary Roberts and Guerin in '07....they might have won the whole thing.

If you really want to change the culture of the team....that is what needs to be done. I have seen enough from Roy, Gaustad, Stafford, and even Vanek and Pominville over the years to make me think this could be a much better team with a true leader as catalyst. Maybe Ruff is the hindering point?

Gerbe, McCormick, and Montador are the closest thing to sandpaper we have. That's a $2.39 pack at TrueValue. I want a power sander on a 220 line...even if it's been around for 12 years.

I don't think Richards is the right fit even. I want to target guys that know how to play tough, and that are leaders. Iginla a few months ago could have been had for a semi reasonable deal. I will overpay a true leader that has been through wars and brings it, even if they are clearly on the downswing. That is what has been needed the most since the dawn of time. If the Sabres made a run at Gary Roberts and Guerin in '07....they might have won the whole thing.

If you really want to change the culture of the team....that is what needs to be done. I have seen enough from Roy, Gaustad, Stafford, and even Vanek and Pominville over the years to make me think this could be a much better team with a true leader as catalyst. Maybe Ruff is the hindering point?

Gerbe, McCormick, and Montador are the closest thing to sandpaper we have. That's a $2.39 pack at TrueValue. I want a power sander on a 220 line...even if it's been around for 12 years.

I wish I new who it was they were really going after at the trade deadline. They said Boyes wasn't the guy they were really going for (nice pick up though). Was it an Iginla type? Who do I call? :)

I agree spndnchz. I would keep Roy but I would seperate him from Vanek. I think we now see that Vanek is better off without Roy on his line.

Keeping Roy and Vanek together after what we have all seen this year is clearly a mistake. Roy could go anywhere from the second to the third line center position depending on how we feel the Boyes line is doing. Connolly even with his improved play is gone and we can find a center whos vanek compatible but Roy is a 70pt guy at 4mil so lets keep him and then we can talk about winning a cup because we have deep lines and good talent.

What do we know about this team since Derek Roy went out?

- We seem to be a more gritty team. I attribute that to several players, but I also attribute it to one less finesse player (i.e., Roy) in the lineup.

- Our goal production is certainly not suffering given our place in the league overall.

- The system works better because more players are adhering to it... not a forte of Derek's.

- More players are willing to do the small things... not a forte of Derek's.

There are other observations that can be made, but I am struggling to find ones that promote Roy. There is something about the character of the team that is better without him.

I for one am not buying into the believe that the Sabres are better off without Roy. Yes, they were struggling to win games early in the season, but to blame that on Roy really isn't fair. Couldn't one just as easily argue that he kept them around and carried them offensively during the early part of the season? For the first three months Miller, the D, and the entire offense was playing poorly.

I will admit that Vanek seems to be a better player without playing on a line with Roy and that many other players were forced to step up. It has now been over 3 months since Roy was injured, yet he is still tied for 5th on the team in points. I know its a very long shot, but I would love to have this point-per-game center back for the playoffs. This team can only get better with him back in the line up.

This dog don't hunt.

If you look back at the prior 3 seasons to this one, the reason Vanek nets 40+ plus goals in 2 of those seasons and 36 goals in the other is due to Roy.

People may want to point to the 06/07 season and say Briere/Drury/Afino affected those numbers, but in that season Vanek played left wing a majority of the time on line 3 with Roy as his center.

Now, if you look at Vanek's 2 seasons below 30 goals, last season was abnormal considering these 2 players were together a majority of the season, however, last season Lindy began his routine of line tinkering on a heavy scale, shifting Vanek off of the Roy line in an effort to spark the offensive output of that line from time to time. This season it is clear Vanek misses Roy, and that's not to say Vanek hasn't had his chances this season either. He has missed plenty of them.

But the overall situation is there for us to see that Vanek and Roy have played extremely well together in the past.

Take into consideration that neither Stafford or Pominville truely found chemistry with the Vanek - Roy pairing on the right wing for what ever reason. But I believe Brad Boyes will fit on the right wing with Roy and Vanek quite nicely. My reason is Roy is a positional player, Vanek has fast become a multi talented sniper/playmaker with his passing skills and Boyes would benefit from these skills. That line has real potential to achieve 70+ points for each player, and Boyes and Roy are at 4 mil for next season.

I think Ennis and Stafford need a real center, a stud center for them and it's off to the races.

Just my 2 cents.

If Roy didn't have a good start to the season, where would we be now? A couple more losses in those early months could have been the end of us. He was the best Sabre for the first half of the season and he will make us even better when he returns.

Archived