Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

Even if the value of those trades was equal, which I dont think it is (both are better players than Pominville with less of a cap hit), San Jose is winning right now, they're not looking to shake their team up. Also, they're deep at center but Marleau, Couture and Pavelski all can and do play wing.

I would be curious to see if Pommers could mesh well on a top line like that. He did when we had Briere and was great. You are right that SJ wont make the trade as they are in the hunt but it was better than Gerbe Rivet and a 4th = LILES AND STATSNY. Which I agree with your assessment of wouldnt happen. Statsny alone would prob be more like Connolly, 1st rnd, and gerbe/ennis + butler/sekera :wallbash:

if that is what they want, then gerbe and hecht + a 3rd rounder and rivet? i would think that sounds fair, remember this guy is HATING it there since the fiasco with his father plus a number of other issues and (reportedly) the explosion from his father over the st louis deal was the tipping point. if this rumor is at all true, he is easier (and cheaper) for us to pick up

Heres the thing, even if He is pissed about Colorado's bs and his dad wants him out Hes still worth X and he doesnt decide that hes gonna take less to be traded the team does and hes there franchise guy. To get at Statsny you need what I already posted and maybe more. AND I STILL DONT WANT LILES for LEOPOLD

Liles: 6g, 33a, -7, 16ppp

Leopold: 11g, 21a, -6, 9ppp

I would be curious to see if Pommers could mesh well on a top line like that. He did when we had Briere and was great. You are right that SJ wont make the trade as they are in the hunt but it was better than Gerbe Rivet and a 4th = LILES AND STATSNY. Which I agree with your assessment of wouldnt happen. Statsny alone would prob be more like Connolly, 1st rnd, and gerbe/ennis + butler/sekera :wallbash:

Was thinking more along the lines of Stafford, Enroth, Butler & 2nd for Stastny. I don't think Connolly has any worth to them with him being a UFA at the end of the season and they are out of the playoffs and looking to the future.

Was thinking more along the lines of Stafford, Enroth, Butler & 2nd for Stastny. I don't think Connolly has any worth to them with him being a UFA at the end of the season and they are out of the playoffs and looking to the future.

Stafford, Enroth, butler and a 2nd for Statsny... hmmm thats possible. That would be the deal that says we just want him gone. Someone posted on here his knee is wrecked but IDK about that. I am still arguing going the SJ route for centers but I seem to be the only one lol. I agree though that your trade is more likely and better than what i suggested because they do need a rw, gt, young def and some draft stuff. Connolly will go to like a columbus team that just wants to make the playoffs and ditch him after.

peter and anton statsny would be worth enroth, stafford et all. NOT PAUL. I hear the Sabres are interested in John Michael-Liles...they have tried to get him in the past too...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/02/an-outdoor-series-on-horizon.html

(#3 and #5)

From your link and as I mentioned in another thread, we hear the same thing every year...

5. Two things others say about the Avalanche: they are targeting a young goalie and they will trade John-Michael Liles. It's believed they like Jonathan Bernier and Cory Schneider, although I can't imagine the Canucks doing that. I had also heard Steve Mason, but that appears to be incorrect. As for Liles, every year, he must submit a list of 12 teams he will agree to be traded to. His best friend in the NHL is Ryan Miller and it sounds like Buffalo is interested. By now, you've heard Toronto is, too. It is believed both Buffalo and Toronto are on his list.

Nothing better to substantiate a trade rumor than a BFF reference. :lol: Could he replace Lalime in that role? :rolleyes:

From your link and as I mentioned in another thread, we hear the same thing every year...

5. Two things others say about the Avalanche: they are targeting a young goalie and they will trade John-Michael Liles. It's believed they like Jonathan Bernier and Cory Schneider, although I can't imagine the Canucks doing that. I had also heard Steve Mason, but that appears to be incorrect. As for Liles, every year, he must submit a list of 12 teams he will agree to be traded to. His best friend in the NHL is Ryan Miller and it sounds like Buffalo is interested. By now, you've heard Toronto is, too. It is believed both Buffalo and Toronto are on his list.

Nothing better to substantiate a trade rumor than a BFF reference. :lol: Could he replace Lalime in that role? :rolleyes:

Interesting.

I like how you guys pull all of this information from so many different places. Like I said earlier, my son is teaching me computers, but I'll sit back and listen to what all of you have to say about this. Would Liles even be a player that we need?

Jason Wooley. And I expect that Lindy would treat Liles just like he treated Wooley, first on-ice error and he is strapped to the bench only to see time on the PP.

ETA- not correct. Campbell was a damn fine PP D-man for us.

I never considered Campbell a true PP QB. I always thought of him as an offensive defenseman who played the powerplay. In my eyes there is a distinction.

Andy Delmore.

That move was really a bust.

Interesting.

I like how you guys pull all of this information from so many different places. Like I said earlier, my son is teaching me computers, but I'll sit back and listen to what all of you have to say about this. Would Liles even be a player that we need?

ABSOLUTELY! the way of the future in the nhl is a hybrid offense model the implements alot of plays with quick, aggresive neutral zone transition and d-men that can pich and create plays. as of right now the only two d-men that can do this for us effectively on a consistent basis is leopold and myers. not to mention, liles would be an outstanding pp qb!

Heres the thing, even if He is pissed about Colorado's bs and his dad wants him out Hes still worth X and he doesnt decide that hes gonna take less to be traded the team does and hes there franchise guy. To get at Statsny you need what I already posted and maybe more. AND I STILL DONT WANT LILES for LEOPOLD

Simple supply and demand, the amount of teams that would be vying for a player like Stastny would drive his price up, regardless of why they are trading him.

I've never been a big fan of Liles or Leopold, but if you had both ...that would really stretch the ice the way Detriot does.

Not that I would advocate it it but:

Myers-Sekera-Leopold-Liles- would create match-up nightmares for a lot of teams.

they are rich @ center, statsny reportedly doesnt want to be there anymore and they wanna free up some cap space for future ventures. they would be getting a cheap rental in rivet, a good third line prospect in gerbe, and a pick.

the only thing we need to remember in statsny is that it is not a "conforming" contract, meaning it is 6.6million till the end of the contract, which makes it tougher to move him as he gets closer to being a free agent...

Where did you hear that? I've seen Paul say he wants to stay, and that has been repeated in a few different media outlets.

Stastny also has three additional seasons remaining on a five-year deal that pays him $6.6 million a year, and that would make it difficult to move him — even if either the team or him were hoping for a trade. Paul, though, emphasized that he wants to stay with the Avalanche.

"I want to do everything I can to make this team as good as possible and turn it around as fast as possible," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17467830

I've never been a big fan of Liles or Leopold, but if you had both ...that would really stretch the ice the way Detriot does.

Not that I would advocate it it but:

Myers-Sekera-Leopold-Liles- would create match-up nightmares for a lot of teams.

You mean Myers-Leopold-Liles- and WEBER whos better than sekera. Gotta have a hard hitting shut down guy.

Sometimes the best deadline acquisitions are the ones that seem insignificant. A journeyman forward, like a Butch Goring or even a Steve Heinze. That's who I want, an veteran opportunist who could have a fresh start with a bunch of eager young teammates. Who might fit that bill? Maybe a Ray Whitney or a Mark Recchi or that type of player.

Where does Roy fit in all of this trade talk? He isn't going to help the team get into the playoffs and has a less then impressive point production total in crunch time. Dumping him and a prospect/pick could bring a decent return.

I don't think anywhere, there are only perhaps only 5 or 6 teams looking exclusively at next year at this time. Which is what a team that trades for Roy would have to be looking for. Even then, the return would likely be weak and only beneficial for the remainder of this season.

Roy isnt Malkin. When Roy is injured his value goes way down because he cant help a team now. Malkin would be worth stinking for the rest of the season because next year you get a top center. Apples and Oranges. Roy might go in the summer but i doubt it. Regier has not done anything so far and this team should sell. Cody McCormick is actually decent on a line with vanek... interesting. I would put drew on the other wing instead of pommers, pommers just looks slow and kinda lazy.

listening to dary's audio (link below), and he stated that the team is a buyer, but not "solely" for a playoff push but also for the purpose of fortifying the team for next year and beyond.

that struck me as a sort of a fudge. if they were to move connolly for a strong prospect (a guy already in the nhl) and a pick, would that be buying under darcy's definition?

eesh. listening further, he made clear that moving connolly would be a sale in his mind, not a buy.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/02/report-columbus-claims-rivet.html

I can't believe I am going to suggest this, Sabres players are being mentioned in stories from other teams. Connolly, Hecht, grier, stafford, and sekera, Is it possible or logically that Darcy is recieving some offers and he is waiting in hopes that they go up a little? IDK personally I think hes not doing anything but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

DR said that we will not be sellers.

Would you sit down at a poker game with Darcy?

You could be right, but he'd definitely get more playing the "we're not going to be sellers ... wow, I was so blown away by your offer that I couldn't help but sell" game than announcing "fire sale!"

Archived