Extend Cody NOW

spndnchz

Looking at who's up for signing next year. Out of all currently on the team, I must say McCormick is a steal and must be signed.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjkDmYNpFA

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRBMVjc7Fw

He's a UFA at the end of this year, only making 500k now. Him and Kassian together next year, OMG, Ruutu and Neil just crapped their pants.

With the ownership situation such as it is (whatever that is), does Darcy have the ability to make even a minor move like that?

Not to be a smartass, but Cody is having a pretty good season. His stock might be rising. Would it be in his best interest to sign with the Sabres now?

I'm too lazy to go digging back into the CBA right now, but since he's currently on a one-year deal, he can't be extended until January, right? Anyway, your point still stands. He has been a very good value signing.

U r correct there sir. Jan 1 of the SPC season. tick tock tick tock.

I think this year is his first one way deal. I don't think he's looking for 2.5 million or anything. Signing him for anything under 1 million for a few seasons, or averaging 1.25 over two years would work well for both sides IMO.

He's really been a big upgrade over Mair.

Yep. I wish he would've been up here last season. He makes alot of space for the other players on his line. I really like the way he forces himself into the crease area. He's not afraid to get his stick up and do some pushing and shoving to get into crowded spaces. And he has more touch around the net than I expected.

With the ownership situation such as it is (whatever that is), does Darcy have the ability to make even a minor move like that?

Not to be a smartass, but Cody is having a pretty good season. His stock might be rising. Would it be in his best interest to sign with the Sabres now?

Depends what we offer. Remember, this is a guy who nobody wanted last year who ended up playing a full season in the minors. If we offered him a million a year for a couple years right now, he'd probably take it. (Why mess with a good thing?)

Depends what we offer. Remember, this is a guy who nobody wanted last year who ended up playing a full season in the minors. If we offered him a million a year for a couple years right now, he'd probably take it. (Why mess with a good thing?)

...Would we? I think no. I hope they would try to get something going come January though.

...Would we? I think no. I hope they would try to get something going come January though.

I think the Sabres are willing to give contract extensions mid-season. I know they did with Connolly and I think they did with Pominville too. I don't know how much the Sabres could or should spend on McCormick (because I haven't thought about it at all until right now) but I do know they have money coming off the books after this season and that he's been great for them this year.

Interesting. I really don't think there is a great hurry. He's been a quality plumber. But those type of players are throughout the leagues that you can add after you sort out the top lines.

An example ironically is Matt Darche in Montreal, who was in Portland an entire year.

I would rather keep an open mind about how Kassian, Adam, and Foligno fit in next year.

Interesting. I really don't think there is a great hurry. He's been a quality plumber. But those type of players are throughout the leagues that you can add after you sort out the top lines.

An example ironically is Matt Darche in Montreal, who was in Portland an entire year.

I would rather keep an open mind about how Kassian, Adam, and Foligno fit in next year.

I'd like to keep him around, but like you said, there is definitely no rush on this, especially at that $1 million plus figure that has been mentioned. He's not going to approach that kind of cash anywhere in this league and he's much closer to the dime-a-dozen category than anything else.

Looking at who's up for signing next year. Out of all currently on the team, I must say McCormick is a steal and must be signed.

This:

and this:

He's a UFA at the end of this year, only making 500k now. Him and Kassian together next year, OMG, Ruutu and Neil just crapped their pants.

Yeppir's he has been a real solid pickup and the consumate team player knowing when to step up for his teammates. I think he raised the level of everyone else's physical play around him. All that time in the western league paid off for Bflo with this signing.

2 yrs with 1 yr (2nd) a 2-way option with just the right amount of chaching$ would probably get er done.

Good point and question. There is the built in excuse not to do anything this upcoming deadline not that DR needed one.

This:

and this:

It's like you're at the bar, it's closing time and McCormick is the only single guy left. McCormick is a dime a dozen player in the NHL. He stands out on the Sabres because the rest of the roster is pathetically soft. This team has a ton of money to spend next off-season. You don't start wasting it now. Actually there is not one player on the roster that rates even talks(with the team, not amongst fans) of an extension at this point.The best hope for Sabres fans is that there is a contract freeze basically ending Regier's time here with the Sabres. Let the new GM hired by a new owner decide how to spend cap space. Maybe get a GM savvy enough to dump the contracts of Pominville, Gaustad and Hecht for a Montreal style turnover.

It's like you're at the bar, it's closing time and McCormick is the only single guy left. McCormick is a dime a dozen player in the NHL. He stands out on the Sabres because the rest of the roster is pathetically soft. This team has a ton of money to spend next off-season. You don't start wasting it now. Actually there is not one player on the roster that rates even talks(with the team, not amongst fans) of an extension at this point.The best hope for Sabres fans is that there is a contract freeze basically ending Regier's time here with the Sabres. Let the new GM hired by a new owner decide how to spend cap space. Maybe get a GM savvy enough to dump the contracts of Pominville, Gaustad and Hecht for a Montreal style turnover.

You're still pissed they didn't sign Kovy, aren't you.

I like McCormick and I expect him to be back next year, but I agree with the bolded statement.

I don't think the rest of the roster is pathetically soft -- really it's just the top 6 that is dying for more guts. Roy and Vanek need a Ryan Smyth/Brenden Morrow/Doug Gilmour type on their line, and 2 out of 3 or all 3 of the TC-Pommer-Hecht line need to be replaced by guys with both skill and heart.

I think Gaustad's had a pretty good season. I would love to unload Pommer and Hecht.

Very nice.

You mean the super star player that was all the rage, who through 27 games is -18 with 5 goals and 13 points?

Man im pissed he's not a sabre. Hopefully Pegula doesn't become enamoured with these types of players the way many posters around here did. I'm all for bringing in top tier talent, it just needs to be the right type of player.

Archived