Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

I had a dark thought. What if Pegula is introduced and takes some questions and someone asks what his greatest memories of being a Sabres fan are and he says, "I loved the French Conniption. I mean, when Rene Martin went flying down the middle of the ice and passed it off to Ree-shard Perreault, wow."

In other words, what if he's not a serious fan, or even a fan, at all?

So... what's the "secret handshake" question that would prove someone is a longtime fan? It would have to involve a deeper knowledge than just trivia. After all, someone could be prepared to answer the obvious questions.

I had a dark thought. What if Pegula is introduced and takes some questions and someone asks what his greatest memories of being a Sabres fan are and he says, "I loved the French Conniption. I mean, when Rene Martin went flying down the middle of the ice and passed it off to Ree-shard Perreault, wow."

So... what's the "secret handshake" question that would prove someone is a longtime fan? It would have to involve a deeper knowledge than just trivia. After all, someone could be prepared to answer the obvious questions.

To be honest I don't care how big of a "Sabres" fan he is, as long as he's into hockey and wants to win. Then again, I'd still be happy if the ###### my dog just dropped in the back yard bought the team.

He grew up a Flyers fan so i doubt he gave a rats ass about the French connection. If that question were to come, i'm sure his memory would be of a recent event, like the winter classic and he'd hit it right on the nail.

http://www.wben.com/Sabres-Sale--Scott-Brown-Gives-WBEN-the-Inside-Sco/8869346

As if that weren't tantalizing enough to some Sabres fans, the source dropped some even more intriguing hints about the management team Pegula might assemble to replace Quinn and DiPofi.

"In terms of bringing new people in, one source has told me that Pegula 'is talking to big, big names in hockey,' but I don't have any specifics on that," Brown said.

Very exciting. Scotty Bowman maybe in a President/advisory role?

He grew up a Flyers fan so i doubt he gave a rats ass about the French connection. If that question were to come, i'm sure his memory would be of a recent event, like the winter classic and he'd hit it right on the nail.

Wow, I can't even comprehend what kind of impact that could have on this team. Can you imagine the look on the players' faces when their comfort zone is totally destroyed by news that people who know a thing or two about hockey are brought in to run the team? For the first time in their careers they might actually feel like their job was on the line.

Wow, I can't even comprehend what kind of impact that could have on this team. Can you imagine the look on the players' faces when their comfort zone is totally destroyed by news that people who know a thing or two about hockey are brought in to run the team? For the first time in their careers they might actually feel like their job was on the line.

they have guaranteed contracts. they are getting paid no matter what.

Scotty Bowman coming to Buffalo is old, failed news...

But agree that all the rest of this sounds very positive.

That was like 25 years ago. Anyone who doesn't think Scotty would put this franchise in the right direction (or certainly a much better one) has had too much eggnog.

That was like 25 years ago. Anyone who doesn't think Scotty would put this franchise in the right direction (or certainly a much better one) has had too much eggnog.

It's not like the Sabres have missed the playoffs for the past decade or something...

Were you around when Scotty came here? He gutted the team (from the teams of the 70's that got to the finals against the Flyers, and then floundered...), and it didn't pan out (He did do it a bit "on the fly" because we had name players he traded for good young perspective talent..., see Housely, Andreychuck, etc...).

I don't think we need to gut this team. We have a good / great coach, and financial woes that cause the pieces that get put in place every few years to have to be revamped. No matter how big the purse-strings of whomever comes in to run the team, they will run it as a business, and Buffalo's economy is not near the top...

Scotty Bowman took over the Montreal Canadiens in the 70's, who had the greatest assembly of talent already in place, in the history of the league. Then he went to Pittsburgh, when they got Mario Lemieux (and Barasso from us, and cast of characters). Then he went to Detroit, with the talent they had / have, that won without him.

He is not a one-man savior. I think, since he resides in the area, he'd like to right his wrong, and do well in Buffalo. I'm not saying "don't give him another chance"... Can we somehow get good talent for the likes of Vanek's contract? (if he's only a 10-15 minute a game player...)?

A new owner with more of a hockey mentality / devotion might give us the ability to burn a little more $$'s at the top end of our talent pool run(s) (see Briere / Drury decisions, jettisoning of all of our free-agents when they get to top $$ range, etc..., etc...).

No matter how big the purse-strings of whomever comes in to run the team, they will run it as a business, and Buffalo's economy is not near the top...

"Run as a business" doesn't necessarily have to happen. The man is worth $3 billion. I'm not going to water down the lemonade in my kid's stand to make a few pennies. Why should he?

Kind of agree about Scotty magically showing up in places where success is about to happen. But that might just describe the Sabres now. Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Scotty shows up, they believe they can win? Also, oh yeah, Scotty knows what he's doing. Even in Buffalo, where the Sabres were begging to be revamped in 1980 the same way this team is.

"Run as a business" doesn't necessarily have to happen. The man is worth $3 billion. I'm not going to water down the lemonade in my kid's stand to make a few pennies. Why should he?

Kind of agree about Scotty magically showing up in places where success is about to happen. But that might just describe the Sabres now. Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Scotty shows up, they believe they can win? Also, oh yeah, Scotty knows what he's doing. Even in Buffalo, where the Sabres were begging to be revamped in 1980 the same way this team is.

I now live in LA... So in a way, I guess I'd equate Scotty to Phil Jackson (See Bulls with MJ, then Lakers with Kobe & Shaq, then maturing playing Kobe with Gasol...). That "last piece" that was needed type guy (I think he's had to work harder with the present Lakers...). In Buffalo, Scotty Bowman was given free reign to do the tear-down / build-back-up, and it didn't work. With Ryan Miller, and maybe some new pieces to add to the players who USED to put the puck in the net when teamed with Briere & Drury??... That we all hope. Who is the best person to come up with that formula? Hopefully a knowledgeable hockey person (like a Scotty Bowman..., who does things right by Buffalo's long-waiting sports fans, this time...).

And "run as a business" doesn't have to have negative connotations... But a $3-Billion Dollar man got there (from what I read about him), not from the silver spoon. So he has to move forward with the bottom-line in mind. And the people of Western New York are the ones who are going to be supporting most of his investment (so no matter how enthralled he is about going after a Stanley Cup for the team..., assume it will be with fiscal responsibility in place).

GO SABRES!!

There will be no bottom line in mind. Pegula gets $150 million return on his money each year if conservative.

It sounds like he knows management are clowns. This is a great sign. The quickest way to turn this around is to let the dead wood walk, and buy out the rest of the schlubs who are still under contract. It would be one big ouchie....then you can go forward and build. Take your $30 million in medicine up front....go into free agency and get the type of character needed to show the young kids how to do it, spend to the cap while building up your prospects the right way.

He's going to have a 2 year honeymoon period as long as he is 80% the fan we have heard. Until he can make a run into the playoffs, he might lose $10 million a year. WHO CARES!!! In 2013 you might just start a Detroit Redwings type of run with fans, arena, team, etc. running on all cylinders. It will cost him 170 million up front, and $50 million in losses to turn this into a top notch organization, $50 million by the way which will get him a $20 million writeoff.....something Golisano didn't need.

I know this type of personality just like I know Golisano, Regier and Quinn. Pegula sounds like it will be full steam ahead. If he is wrong with who he brings in and it turns into a total failure 3 years down the road....then get worried.

He's a quiet guy in public, but he sounds like he values character, toughness, and family. I can respect that, and if he builds his team that way I will support his vision with my $$$, which has been on the sidelines for quite a while with this current group.

There will be no bottom line in mind. Pegula gets $150 million return on his money each year if conservative.

It sounds like he knows management are clowns. This is a great sign. The quickest way to turn this around is to let the dead wood walk, and buy out the rest of the schlubs who are still under contract. It would be one big ouchie....then you can go forward and build. Take your $30 million in medicine up front....go into free agency and get the type of character needed to show the young kids how to do it, spend to the cap while building up your prospects the right way.

He's going to have a 2 year honeymoon period as long as he is 80% the fan we have heard. Until he can make a run into the playoffs, he might lose $10 million a year. WHO CARES!!! In 2013 you might just start a Detroit Redwings type of run with fans, arena, team, etc. running on all cylinders. It will cost him 170 million up front, and $50 million in losses to turn this into a top notch organization, $50 million by the way which will get him a $20 million writeoff.....something Golisano didn't need.

I know this type of personality just like I know Golisano, Regier and Quinn. Pegula sounds like it will be full steam ahead. If he is wrong with who he brings in and it turns into a total failure 3 years down the road....then get worried.

He's a quiet guy in public, but he sounds like he values character, toughness, and family. I can respect that, and if he builds his team that way I will support his vision with my $$$, which has been on the sidelines for quite a while with this current group.

You need to run for political office. The posts you've been makin lately are inspirational. YES WE CAN!

I'd agree with most of that. U can't let people think they can just get rid of or buyout players. I mean, sure you CAN, but it does hurt. Especially larger, longer deals. Pommers for example. (Seems to be picked on so let's go with him). He'd cost $11 million to buyout over the next 6 years. A cap hit still of 1.8 or so million even 3 years after his current contract would have ended. Just to save 3.5 million or so? You say you think Pegula (can we call him TP now?) values character, toughness, and family. Well Pommers got 2 of 3 eh?

I'd agree with most of that. U can't let people think they can just get rid of or buyout players. I mean, sure you CAN, but it does hurt. Especially larger, longer deals. Pommers for example. (Seems to be picked on so let's go with him). He'd cost $11 million to buyout over the next 6 years. A cap hit still of 1.8 or so million even 3 years after his current contract would have ended. Just to save 3.5 million or so? You say you think Pegula (can we call him TP now?) values character, toughness, and family. Well Pommers got 2 of 3 eh?

I think Pommers is the kind of player that would benefit from having other, better, players around him. Same with Vanek. Connolly, Nieds, Grier, McCormick, Hecht and Stafford aren't those players. I also think a different coach could fix his game.

Easily spoke, when spending someone else's money...

Pominville is a tough call. The first thing that needs to be decided is if you can build around Miller. He is still an asset that can fetch you the type of player you covet in a trade. If the new GM thinks that it is more important to bring in a new attitude, then maybe you go to a team like Calgary and say "We'll give you Miller and a nice young forward and defenseman, say Ennis and Sekera, and we'll take Kiprosov and Iginla from you and maybe a guy like Regher....but then you need to take Pominville as well." It would be a wash in terms of salary, but you'd be bringing in a horse up front who is one of the best character players in the game that still has a half a tank left, a goalie that is a little older but can hold down the fort for a few years as you transition, and a solid top 4 d-man.

This is about BLOWING UP THE GROUP THINK which has enveloped the franchise from top to bottom. Lindy will probably have to go as well as much sympathy the new crew may have towards him. You have to erase the lackluster attitude. Miller is a good guy, but he's been a Sabre throughout. He'd have to go through a Clockwork Orange reprograming with Pegula prying his eyelids open as he watches gamefilm of the '75 Flyers.

We are talking about a guy who wrote an $88 million check without flinching to give a mediocre school a chance to get to the top. Beware a stubborned man who has wisdom, a vision, and deep pockets. Anything is possible. Will it bring home Stanley Cups? Time will tell......but I fully believe this is the type of person who will give an honest effort and have a high threshold for pain. Golisano bought the Sabres as a political deal. Sure, he had fun with the early success, but his lack of passion was obvious once every game wasn't a party. Pegula and family sound like many a Buffalonian. They know what it means to start from scratch and value integrity and effort. As much as we sit in Buffalo waiting for the other shoe to drop.....he is going to replace just the people that have CAUSED many a shoe to drop on our fair city.

Viva La Revolution!!!!

Easily spoke, when spending someone else's money...

No, I know all the types of characters involved. Ask some long term people how much I was adored as I was warning them what was about to happen to this team as they were on their President's trophy run. I know what a skunk smells like, I know what a coward acts like, and I know when I see someone with passion and honesty.

Who knows if this will mean success long term, but your chances for it just went up about 4 fold.

Er, Scotty is Senior Advisor for Hockey Operations for the Chicago Blackhawks. He works with his son Stanley, the GM and likes it. I think it would take a lot to lure Scotty back to the Sabres. A lot.

Archived