Lalime

Onceagain

Why anyone would make excuses for Lalimes record as a sabre is way beyond me. Its essentially the same as accepting mediocracy for your team. Give me a backup who can step in and win a game. Its apparent he can't. Put Enroth in net. The kids already outplayed Lalime to this point in his career and he has a winning record.

You do remember all the backups before Lalime? Everyone was buried on the bench minus 12 games a year, where when the finally did get to play, they were rusty. This translated into poor play ensuring another month on the bench before Lindy would call on their number again. Lindy hasn't figured out how to use backups since Miller became the starter.

You do remember all the backups before Lalime? Everyone was buried on the bench minus 12 games a year, where when the finally did get to play, they were rusty. This translated into poor play ensuring another month on the bench before Lindy would call on their number again. Lindy hasn't figured out how to use backups since Miller became the starter.

Before that, actually. I'm a Lindy fan, but he has never managed his goalies well.

I would say Miller became the definitive starter for the entirety of the 06-07 season. He has averaged 66 regular season starts.

For comparison, here is the average number of regular season starts of some other #1 goaltenders over the last 4 seasons.

Brodeur 65 counting the season he only started 28

Luongo 68

Kiprusoff 75

Lundqvist 71

Nabokov 65

Fleury 56 counting the season he only started 29

I'm pretty sure Lindy is playing Miller like any coach would play his "Elite #1 Goaltender." It has nothing to do with how to use your backup.

I would say Miller became the definitive starter for the entirety of the 06-07 season. He has averaged 66 regular season starts.

For comparison, here is the average number of regular season starts of some other #1 goaltenders over the last 4 seasons.

Brodeur 65 counting the season he only started 28

Luongo 68

Kiprusoff 75

Lundqvist 71

Nabokov 65

Fleury 56 counting the season he only started 29

I'm pretty sure Lindy is playing Miller like any coach would play his "Elite #1 Goaltender." It has nothing to do with how to use your backup.

I agree.

So why is it that every backup goalie behind Miller has sucked, when every one of them has had success elsewhere?

I don't know. But I wouldn't try blaming it on Lindy when coaches that have top end goaltenders ride the ###### out of them, too.

And you may wanna do some research. Instead of just spouting of unsubstantiated opinions.

Backups since 06-07

Marty Biron- Generally had success as a Sabre. Was 12-4-1, 3.04 GAA before being traded to philly in 06-07. Went 6-8-2, 3.02 GAA the rest of the regular season. Went 59-39-14 over the next two seasons, mostly splitting time. Went 9-14 Last year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8462047&view=stats#&navid=nhl-keymatch

Ty Conklin- Was 2-3-2, 3.30 GAA before joining the Sabres. Went 1-2-0, 3.44 GAA. Played 3 games as a Sabre. Still a bad year for the guy on either team. Has since played for 2 Stanley Cup winners as a back-up and has played extremely well since his long and tiring tour as a Sabre.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469152&view=stats#&navid=nhl-keymatch

Jocelyn Thibault- After having a respectable career as a starter, he went 13-24-7 as a back-up over 3 years before showing up in Buffalo. Went 3-4-2, 3.31 GAA as a Sabre. His career ended after that 07-08 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Thibault

Mikael Telqvist- Was 7-5-1, 2.86 GAA before joining Buffalo in 08-09. Went 2-1-0, 2.35 GAA after showing up. Now playing overseas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikael_Telqvist

Patrick Lalime- Another guy with a respectable career as a starter. As a back up from 05/06-07/08, went 24-36-11. Since joining the Sabres, has gone 9-25-5 and been sent down to Portland once for 2 games where he failed to register a win.

So out of all our backups since the start of the 06-07 season, 1 has been successful as a backup upon departing after he landed on 2 Stanley Cup teams after coming to Buffalo and playing 3 games in an obviously down season for him. Two guys were out of the league the next year.

And Marty will just forever be Marty. A good starter and an average to below average backup.

Would you like to retract anything yet.

Xander, two things you fail to mention.

1). Marty played in 17 games before trading deadline. A far greater clip than any back up since.

2) You are excluding the numbers for the backups prior to Buffalo. Almost all those guys, including Lalime achieved success in the NHL at some point in their career.

Now, is Lindy directly responsible for derailing all their careers, obviously not. You can't tell me he knows how to handle backups.

I want Miller to play as much as the last guy but if you want LAlime or any backup to have a fighting chance he needs to play more than once a month. Hell, twice a monthly be enough.

While we are at it, I don't really care for Lalime but I don't think the grass is any greener on the other side. Not only do the goalies get rusty through their prolonged stints on the bench but the skaters seem to mail in almost every game they play in front of anyone not named Miller.

I hope they do promote Jonas so we can see how awesome he plays in the remaining 5 games he gets on the sched.

2) You are excluding the numbers for the backups prior to Buffalo. Almost all those guys, including Lalime achieved success in the NHL at some point in their career.

Now, is Lindy directly responsible for derailing all their careers, obviously not. You can't tell me he knows how to handle backups.

I put in relevant numbers. I included their numbers as a back up. The only guy who was a successful backup before he got here was Conklin. He came during an off season and continued his off season here.

Marty plays well. He's a decent goalie.

LaLame and T-Blo were already in a downward spiral before they got here. Telqvist actually had some moderate success and I was sad to see him go and The Lamer stay.

Other than that, we have had a run of ###### back ups and we ride Miller because he is a top goalie in this league. It has nothing to do with how to handle your goalies and everything to do with skill level. You telling me that the coaches in NY, VAN, NY, PIT all don't know how to handle their back ups as well.

Our back ups suck. This team is built on the fact that our goaltender is prob the best in the world.

I dunno. Looking at this years' stats there are only a couple of true backups that have meaningfully better GAA and SV% numbers. Lalime seems to be right in the pack with the rest of the obvious backup goalies. And wins are a team stat, not really a goalie stat.

Alot of you guys seem to be basically calling for Buffalo to pick up a platoon goalie. Or at least someone who is capable of being in a rotation. It isn't like the Sabres are going to attract a goalie that is capable of playing 35 games when he knows that in all likelihood that he's only going to see 15. And frankly, there aren't very many of those available to pick up.

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick Lalime but I don't think he is getting a fair shake here either. This team routinely stinks up the joint in front of him.

I dunno. Looking at this years' stats there are only a couple of true backups that have meaningfully better GAA and SV% numbers. Lalime seems to be right in the pack with the rest of the obvious backup goalies. And wins are a team stat, not really a goalie stat.

Alot of you guys seem to be basically calling for Buffalo to pick up a platoon goalie. Or at least someone who is capable of being in a rotation. It isn't like the Sabres are going to attract a goalie that is capable of playing 35 games when he knows that in all likelihood that he's only going to see 15. And frankly, there aren't very many of those available to pick up.

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick Lalime but I don't think he is getting a fair shake here either. This team routinely stinks up the joint in front of him.

There is also the fact that miller stands on his head behind these guys.

You've got to consider the huge psychological factor involved when the skaters know the goalie behind them doesn't win hockey games very often. A team is an organism. I don't think it's a simple explanation of the team just taking the night off. Makes little sense given how much they supposedly love the man.

Your gonna sit there and tell me that when Ryan Miller is 100%, he doesn't carry this team? This team goes whatever way Ryan Miller goes.

That's a little bit different question than "does he stand on his head?"

I've been choosing to focus my attention more on Lindy, so I'm not going to rehash my thoughts on Miller. They're well-known.

You've got to consider the huge psychological factor involved when the skaters know the goalie behind them doesn't win hockey games very often. A team is an organism. I don't think it's a simple explanation of the team just taking the night off. Makes little sense given how much they supposedly love the man.

Right. Fragile little children. I think I covered that on page 2 of this thread.

Right. Fragile little children. I think I covered that on page 2 of this thread.

I tell you what. If I was a player on Millers team and he called me a "fragile little child" I'm not going out of my way to help him out. Especially when he is good for letting in one softie a game. I have problems with an average player, a goalie at that, constantly calling out his teammates. I can't believe nobody has fattened his lip in the locker room yet.

Maybe he needs to step it up before he shoots his mouth off.

Archived