Lalime

Onceagain

and your saying everyone but the goalie has to be perfect.

I liken it to, lets say the Buffalo goalie has to face 10 unbelievable, unstoppable shots per game and he saves 7 of them whereas the goalie at the other end of the ice also has to face 10 unbelievable, unstoppable shots and saves 8 of them. Neither goalie played bad but the opponent was just a tad bit better and outplayed the Buffalo goalie.

To blame the goalies faults on the defense or lack of backchecking is ridiculous. Every goalies defense breaks down and is forced to make unbelievable saves, it's just our goalie makes 1 less unbelievable save than the opponent.

Making saves is the goalies job isn't it? Our goalies need to be better.

True, making saves is the goalies job, and scoring goals is the forward's job. I'll agree that neither can be perfect lest all games end either 0-0 or 30-30. However, I would guess that our goalies have had to face more unbelievable shots than the opposition goalie; hence, our goalie could have the best unbelievable save percentage and still lose (this was Roger Crozier's fate in the Sabres infant years). Also, and probably more true is that our forwards aren't generating enough unbelievable shots, or when they do, they miss the net. Our forwards can move the puck well and at times keep a lot of pressure in the offensive zone, but don't generate a quality scoring chance nearly enough.

My bottom line is the troubles are with the forwards' play, not the goalies.

True, making saves is the goalies job, and scoring goals is the forward's job. I'll agree that neither can be perfect lest all games end either 0-0 or 30-30. However, I would guess that our goalies have had to face more unbelievable shots than the opposition goalie; hence, our goalie could have the best unbelievable save percentage and still lose (this was Roger Crozier's fate in the Sabres infant years). Also, and probably more true is that our forwards aren't generating enough unbelievable shots, or when they do, they miss the net. Our forwards can move the puck well and at times keep a lot of pressure in the offensive zone, but don't generate a quality scoring chance nearly enough.

My bottom line is the troubles are with the forwards' play, not the goalies.

And also why the Panthers never sniffed the playoffs even with Luongo in net... guy would routinely make 40+ saves a game but when the forwards can't score, it doesn't matter.

Don't know what these numbers would be without empty-netters, but the goals-for in Buffalo have gone down consistently the last several years:

06-07: 3.63

07-08: 3.06

08-09: 2.95

09-10: 2.82

10-11: 2.44 (through 23 games)

And also why the Panthers never sniffed the playoffs even with Luongo in net... guy would routinely make 40+ saves a game but when the forwards can't score, it doesn't matter.

Don't know what these numbers would be without empty-netters, but the goals-for in Buffalo have gone down consistently the last several years:

Wow. Those numbers tell an interesting tale. I am sure some of it is related to NHL play reverting back to pre-NHL style but it is pretty telling nonetheless.

Vokoun has better numbers than Luongo did and they still didn't make the playoffs.

Wow. Those numbers tell an interesting tale. I am sure some of it is related to NHL play reverting back to pre-NHL style but it is pretty telling nonetheless.

I would have thought so, too, but the range in goals-for among all 30 teams has been pretty much the same over that time (minus a drop in 07-08):

06-07: 2.34 - 3.63 (Buffalo was 1st)

07-08: 2.30 - 3.15 (Buffalo was 4th)

08-09: 2.32 - 3.52 (Buffalo was 12th)

09-10: 2.39 - 3.82 (Buffalo was 10th)

10-11: 1.83 - 3.54 (Buffalo is currently 24th)

Also, in 06-07 we had more goal scorers (Briere, etc). I know I sound like an old record, but teh freont office never replaced the all-star skaters they let go after the Ottawa semi-finals.

Also, in 06-07 we had more goal scorers (Briere, etc). I know I sound like an old record, but teh freont office never replaced the all-star skaters they let go after the Ottawa semi-finals.

They also played a completely different style of offense. Then the rest of the teams started catching on. I don't think that team the first 2 years after the lockout would be as successful today. IMO, if Lindy let this team play a wide open offense I think we would be surprised. Probably wouldn't win many games with it though.

Clearly the problem with this team is the goaltending.

Sabres scored one goal in garbage time tonite, Miller kept them in the game in the 1st, our own forward started the 2 on 1 for the Habs second goal. The 3rd was one Miller has stopped before, but again, the Sabres set up the scoring chance.

Either you're trying to ruffle feathers or think goaltenders are obligated to pitch shut-outs and forwards don't have to score. Our forwards had a 2 on 1 break and couldn't get a shot on goal.

Sabres scored one goal in garbage time tonite, Miller kept them in the game in the 1st, our own forward started the 2 on 1 for the Habs second goal. The 3rd was one Miller has stopped before, but again, the Sabres set up the scoring chance.

Either you're trying to ruffle feathers or think goaltenders are obligated to pitch shut-outs and forwards don't have to score. Our forwards had a 2 on 1 break and couldn't get a shot on goal.

Neither,..

Actually,.. both.

Archived