Game Discussion Thread: Toronto @ Sabres, September25, 2010

nfreeman

Game is still going so I won't mention the score but a few observations albeit during one meaningless game...

- Morrisson looks good. His presence (toughness)is much more noticeable than Hank or Toni.

- McNabb and Shistel both played well for young D.

- Kassian had one nice hit but otherwise seemed timid, looked a little slow...probably nervous

- Miller looked in mid-season form

- Top six still looks like they did last season...unfortunately.

- Good to see MacArthur in another team's uniform.

- Toronto's young players seem light years behind ours.

- Without Ennis and Gerbe, we have very little speed.

Um he was the third star..i thought he was big in front of the net and if he plays like that every night he will be taking a spot on the roster.. I was very impressed with his presence on the ice...

Um he was the third star..i thought he was big in front of the net and if he plays like that every night he will be taking a spot on the roster.. I was very impressed with his presence on the ice...

Word.

His pass to Ennis was sa-wheat. Nobody wanted to fight him either.

Nobody wanted to fight him either.

I was kinda mad about that. Sounded like he was ready to go with Komisarek.

I could definitely see him being everything Stafford was supposed to be. Also, I think sending him back to juniors right away is a waste. He looks like a man among boys, a lot like a certain Calder Trophy winning defenseman did at one time.

I agree 100% with your assessment of Kassian's performance tonight but according to WGR the 3 stars were Ennis, Roy, and Niedermyer. Of course, WGR could be wrong.

Game is still going so I won't mention the score but a few observations albeit during one meaningless game...

- Morrisson looks good. His presence (toughness)is much more noticeable than Hank or Toni.

- McNabb and Shistel both played well for young D.

- Kassian had one nice hit but otherwise seemed timid, looked a little slow...probably nervous

- Miller looked in mid-season form

- Top six still looks like they did last season...unfortunately.

- Good to see MacArthur in another team's uniform.

- Toronto's young players seem light years behind ours.

- Without Ennis and Gerbe, we have very little speed.

From the article I just read on tsn, it sounded like Kassian was one of the best players on the ice.....

I know this is random, but here is a link in which I was able to watch the game online for free. They have all sports as well, so if you live away from Buffalo, you can watch the UB Bulls play as well as the Bills...or if you like other teams and cannot find their coverage. I hope it works for all of you:) http://atdhe.net

Kassian, Ennis, and McCormick were stand-outs, along with Stafford (of all people). At least that was the way it looked at the game. I thought Sekera was unsteady, while Butler was the opposite of that (he also had one particularly nice carry deep into Toronto's zone).

And I REALLY hate to say this because Roy is among my least favorite players, but Roy was playing like he deserved that "C" tonight.

I did not like Gaustad. He took a stupid delay-of-game penalty. I did not like Enroth. That boy was very lucky Toronto didn't tie up the game as he was leaving gaping holes open along the sides of the net, and he totally lost the location of the puck a few times when the action was near him. Enroth made me glad the Sabres re-signed Lalime.

Anybody else have a blank screen on NHL network? Was at the game but wanted to catch the replay.

A couple quick notes. Kassian could start right now. The guy is a horse, great hands, good speed and skates better than advertised. The leafs were tripping over each other to get away from him.

Nieds is a much better skater and much faster than I expected, but don't expect much of a physical game. He's not as big as I expected.

Morrisons physicality will be a welcome change on the back end. I forgot defenseman were allowed to hit. Damn those Europeans!

Anybody else have a blank screen on NHL network? Was at the game but wanted to catch the replay.

A couple quick notes. Kassian could start right now. The guy is a horse, great hands, good speed and skates better than advertised. The leafs were tripping over each other to get away from him.

Nieds is a much better skater and much faster than I expected, but don't expect much of a physical game. He's not as big as I expected.

Morrisons physicality will be a welcome change on the back end. I forgot defenseman were allowed to hit. Damn those Europeans!

Yeah, must be blacked out.

Agree on Niedermayer and Morrison. It was a nice physical game, and I think Toronto was a little surprised about it, just like the crowd.

I agree on all these, although I think Niedermayer will play a physical game in the sense of taking the body and being tough on the boards -- kinda like Hecht. He'll also get in the middle of any scrum that develops.

That Niedermayer-Kassian-Ennis line was the best line on the ice for either team tonight. And Kassian looked really good. He can hit, he can skate, he can pass and he understands offensive zone play -- ie moving to the open space and making the right pass at the right time. He also plays aggressively. If he keeps playing like that they're going to have to give him a few regular-season games.

Other players who looked good to me were Ennis, Miller, Myers, Morrisson and Roy.

I had high hopes for Adam but he might be too slow for the NHL.

Good start for the Sabres.

Just watched the "Game in 6 minutes" from the maple leafs site, and it seems to me that Kassian, Enis and Nieds were in on a lot of our plays. That seemed to be a good line. Again, didn't get to watch the whole game but saw a bunch of highlights (not just goals either) and it seemed good. Ennis is real. And I think Kassian may be as well.

Yeah, totally ruined my night. First yahoo messed up and didn't allow us to draft and then this. Once the draft went down hill, i made new plans to go get a 30 rack and go watch with a few friends. I even avoided facebook and hockey sites to not get the score. I was pretty pissed, it doesn't make sense to me why a delayed game would have local blackout. Makes no sense what so ever.

Yeah, totally ruined my night. First yahoo messed up and didn't allow us to draft and then this. Once the draft went down hill, i made new plans to go get a 30 rack and go watch with a few friends. I even avoided facebook and hockey sites to not get the score. I was pretty pissed, it doesn't make sense to me why a delayed game would have local blackout. Makes no sense what so ever.

I went out of my way to not read the GDT or watch TV before the game. I settled in at 10:55p to watch the game. And bam! NHL network posts a 3-1 Sabres win on the crawler. Damn!! If you are going to give a tape delayed game, take the final score off of the crawler...

Kassian, Kassian, Kassian.. Don't know what others saw, but I saw a man playing hard to make a team.

Ennis, Ennis, Ennis ... Kid was everywhere

Morrision .. Can get the point shot through. Well the one he took at least.

Vanek looked better tonight. Maybe it's fresh legs, but I have a hunch he's healthier this year and it showed tonight.

Miller wasn't giving up much.

Niedermayer chipping in a goal felt good too.

Also notice the play of McNabb. He seemed to have a strong game.

Satfford lead with six shots on goal.

Disappointed didn't get to see Weber or Leopold.

Toronto looked tired. They owned the first five minutes, but clearly were tired and out played as the game went on. Buffalo owned the second period.

The PP actually had decent chances. Gave me reason for hope.

No advertisements on the dashers looked nice.

Penalty kill looked good.

Enroth got some quality minutes in.

Well, that explains why I came home to a 0-minute DVR recording.

Its funny how the Toronto media is saying that the sabres iced a veteran lineup. I counted about 5 rookies,I could be wrong.And throw Ennis and Enroth into the mix and that makes 6 or 7. One publication went as far as mentioning only 2 rookies. Anything to make the leafs look better than how the end result showed I suppose.

Its funny how the Toronto media is saying that the sabres iced a veteran lineup. I counted about 5 rookies,I could be wrong.And throw Ennis and Enroth into the mix and that makes 6 or 7. One publication went as far as mentioning only 2 rookies. Anything to make the leafs look better than how the end result showed I suppose.

Not to help their cause buy they did mention TO only dressing 8 vets as opposed to 12 or 13 for Buffalo. I don't care either way.

Archived