Kaberle

spndnchz

Something mentioned on Toronto radio this evening about Burke getting back from a fishing vacation and him wanting to speak with Buffalo early this up coming week.

Could this be the prelude to a deal for Kaberle?

Probably just wants to call Darcy to let him know the Leafs will turn our munchkins into playdough every time we play this season, and laugh a little at him?

That or Toronto's going to have to cave a bit and take what they can get if they want to get anything at all.

I can only speak for myself, but I do truly believe what is being reported. That Regier offered Stafford and Sekera.

If indeed this is true, I still believe Stafford is a line 2 RWer, he just needs to show up. Sekera would be one ###### of a pick up for Burke, great potential from the kid and I am sure Burke watched him play with Chara on the Slovak team in the Olympics.

My question would be, what more could Buffalo possibily throw in that 1.) Burke would accept, and 2.) wouldn't be a difficult piece to part with from Regiers perspective?

I'll throw a couple of names out there, but I don't know just how much they are desired or their actual availability.

Jochen Hecht (with Stafford, not Sekera. And I would never do this, he is an extremely valuable PKer)

Nathan Gerbe (I don't think Burke would accept Gerbe, even with Stafford and Sekera)

Paul Gaustad (Buffalo should consider this. I would give up Stafford and Gaustad for Kaberle on an extension)

Tim Kennedy (No way I give this kid up, way to much upside, especially for his age)

Tim Connolly (not without a replacement Center of equal or preferrably, greater worth somewhere in the pipeline)

Thats about all I see as possibilities "IF" more were to be considered for Kaberle. Just my most humble opinion.

I would actually trade all the players mentioned above for Kaberle. Then fill out the roster with ennis, kassian and whatever other prospect is worthy. Not really but it's something I might try in a video game.

My son ran through a season on NHL10 with Kaberle paired with a create "Myers". Apparantly, he is not in the game unless you go online and download him or something. Anyways, I wasn't real overly impressed. Myers finished the season with 61 points, which I expect in his Junior campaign, but Kaberle only finished with 54 points. The biggest imprint from those numbers was the PP goals. He had 19 goals, with 17 of them PP goals. That made me smile a bit. :thumbsup:

I know that there's a certain level that Kaberle seems to represent, with some corresponding numbers (video game numbers notwithstanding), but I've just never been as enamored with the guy as Burke seems to be. I'm partially clouded by the fact he was on the Loafs, which also probably clouded his numbers, but still...

I would, however, make a trade to clear out some of the dead weight we have, particularly at fwd. And since he'd occupy another D slot, a Stafford/Sekera or Stafford/Butler deal wouldn't be too bad if that's what was offered. But when you get beyond that, you start to play with fire considering you're dealing with a divisional foe. And even if a deal gets done here, I STILL don't see this as the move the Sabres need to raise their game. An impact forward is what's needed, and he apparently ain't headin' our way.

Completely Serious

I don't want Kaberle for what it would cost to get him, it will be ALOT more then just Roy. Burke wants a 1st rounder + for Kaberle. The Leafs view him as one of the top players available and Burke is not the kind of guy who is going to take less then what he wants, he is like Regier in that he doesn't want to make a deal where he will look the fool and not be the "winner" in the deal. He knows he gave up ALOT for Kessel and is desperatly trying to get a 1st rounder back to make that deal look better.

if you could get Kaberle for Roy straight up, I'd be ok with that, but thats not what Burke will get, you better throw in atleast a very high second with Roy before Burke makes the move.

From all or most accounts Burke has stated that he is not interested in draft picks but instead help for his current team.

The Sabs are deeper on defense than at forward, even after the loss of Tallydman. Kaberle isn't the missing piece to a Cup in 2011 (when Kab's contract runs out); a forward might be. So I'm not happy if the Sabres start reaching for Kaberle just to make a move. Stafford, Connoly, and Sekera/Weber/Butler for Kaberle and a decent forward coming back? Maybe. But depends on the forward. Kaberle excites me as much as Campbell does; I want a forward if the Sabres are taking on that player, especially with Kab's contract up in a year.

EDIT: Otherwise, let's just pick him up for a second-round pick in March, if he's going to make the difference. I think Burke is overestimating his hand.

The Sabs are deeper on defense than at forward, even after the loss of Tallydman. Kaberle isn't the missing piece to a Cup in 2011 (when Kab's contract runs out); a forward might be. So I'm not happy if the Sabres start reaching for Kaberle just to make a move. Stafford, Connoly, and Sekera/Weber/Butler for Kaberle and a decent forward coming back? Maybe. But depends on the forward. Kaberle excites me as much as Campbell does; I want a forward if the Sabres are taking on that player, especially with Kab's contract up in a year.

EDIT: Otherwise, let's just pick him up for a second-round pick in March, if he's going to make the difference. I think Burke is overestimating his hand.

I do not disagree with you on our clubs pressing need for an impact forward.

I will say however, Kaberle would most certainly fit in the top pair on D with this club. His defensive abilities not withstanding, I am looking for a puck moving d man, why look, over there, its Tomas Kaberle and he is available via trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs. Experienced, and very well may be willing to resign to a 3 or 4 year deal and he's 32 years old. Looks like a decent pick up if the price is right for a possible Cup run this year.

And he won't be available in March. His NTC is closed Aug. 15th. He may be a free agent at the end of the season, but I doubt Regier can get him at the price he may resign at now.

I will say however, Kaberle would most certainly fit in the top pair on D with this club. His defensive abilities not withstanding, I am looking for a puck moving d man, why look, over there, its Tomas Kaberle and he is available via trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs. Experienced, and very well may be willing to resign to a 3 or 4 year deal and he's 32 years old. Looks like a decent pick up if the price is right for a possible Cup run this year.

And he won't be available in March. His NTC is closed Aug. 15th. He may be a free agent at the end of the season, but I doubt Regier can get him at the price he may resign at now.

I'm sure he'd be willing to waive to play for a contender for 3 months.

I'm sure he'd be willing to waive to play for a contender for 3 months.

Who's to say Buffalo will be a contender in March?

But more importantly, I question why Burke wants to speak with the Sabres? Considering we signed Leopold, have Sekera/Butler/Weber battling for a spot, and, according to some, have Gragnani and Brennan coming along nicely in Portland.

Would I like Kaberle on the Sabres at 32 years old?

If the price was reasonable, either for 1 season, or with an extension. Yes, I would.

Who's to say Buffalo will be a contender in March?

But more importantly, I question why Burke wants to speak with the Sabres? Considering we signed Leopold, have Sekera/Butler/Weber battling for a spot, and, according to some, have Gragnani and Brennan coming along nicely in Portland.

Would I like Kaberle on the Sabres at 32 years old?

If the price was reasonable, either for 1 season, or with an extension. Yes, I would.

And who's to say Buffalo is the team he is being traded to? I was merely responding to the notion that he could not be traded because his NTC was back in effect in August.

And who's to say Buffalo is the team he is being traded to? I was merely responding to the notion that he could not be traded because his NTC was back in effect in August.

Oh, I have no idea if he gets traded here or not Lanny. I think this is his number 1 choice since he's made the public statements about not creating upheavel for his family and wanting to stay as close to them as possible. I also believe Regier did make an offer with a potential, big bodied (albeit, questionable) top 6 forward in Stafford and a young Defenseman. Thats probably the best offer he's received for Kaberle with a year left on his contract. I would do it, only because I firmly believe Kaberle would resign here, and if I have to throw in a 3rd or 4th rd pick, then so be it.

As for being traded in March, you are correct, he could very possibly do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Burke has cancelled an event. A source has indicated Burke is going to Europe to meet with a player, that player, many are speculating, is Tomas Kaberle, the source also indicates it may be for a Kaberle extension in order to complete a trade.

Here is the original cancellation article, the site with the source comments has a trojan, I'll try to get a secondary link.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=103990

Also, the speculation apparantly heavily involves the Buffalo Sabres, from Eklund to Leafs fans to a many NHL fans, since the Kennedy situation and the signing of Morrison it is being chattered that the Sabres are going to deal for him, with an extension.

Many of the Leafs fans are saying Roy, a few, but not many, are saying Connolly.

Just an FYI.

Burke has cancelled an event. A source has indicated Burke is going to Europe to meet with a player, that player, many are speculating, is Tomas Kaberle, the source also indicates it may be for a Kaberle extension in order to complete a trade.

Here is the original cancellation article, the site with the source comments has a trojan, I'll try to get a secondary link.

Also, the speculation apparantly heavily involves the Buffalo Sabres, from Eklund to Leafs fans to a many NHL fans, since the Kennedy situation and the signing of Morrison it is being chattered that the Sabres are going to deal for him, with an extension.

Many of the Leafs fans are saying Roy, a few, but not many, are saying Connolly.

Just an FYI.

just more of the same.. unfortunately fans have no idea what kind of deals are about to go down, neither does eklund.

This is speculating at its best.

Ask yourself this if Darcy has a glut of Dmen signed why is he getting another. Makes no sense at all. Follow the evidence.

That is all.

Ask yourself this if Darcy has a glut of Dmen signed why is he getting another. Makes no sense at all. Follow the evidence.

That is all.

Like I pointed out in my last post, you're right -- it's all speculation. Until somebody credible mentions it there's no reason to believe it will happen. But as for the point on having a lot of defensemen, wouldn't be surprised to see Butler or Weber (or both) going back the other way to fill Kaberle's hole, along with some top 6 talent.

That is all.

Is there really a glut of Dmen? There are two teams to fill.

Just an FYI.

Static, first off, stop posting garbage from Ek like it means something.

Secondly, maybe I should have said this first, I enjoy your posts and enthusiasm.

I just can't fathom after signing Morrison (sp?), and the Kennedy fiasco that they will bring in a $5 million + player.

They would have to unload at least that much to bring him in, as they stated they are "over budget", how on Earth can they justify Kaberle?

Secondly, maybe I should have said this first, I enjoy your posts and enthusiasm.

I just can't fathom after signing Morrison (sp?), and the Kennedy fiasco that they will bring in a $5 million + player.

They would have to unload at least that much to bring him in, as they stated they are "over budget", how on Earth can they justify Kaberle?

Kaberle just being Kaberle would 100% justify spending $5 mil on Kaberle.

But I also don't see them making a move for him, especially due to the Morrisonn signing, but also because if a deal was likely in which they would have to send players (forwards) back in return, Darcy would have held on to Kennedy either to fill a hole for cheap or to include in the deal. Put a bow on it, this off-season is wrapped up.

Thanks, I guess? :blink:

As for the EK reference, it was something I read over on HFBoards just to let you know, same with the other link(s).

I am merely mirroring what some other fan bases thoughts are and there material for justifying such.

There is no harm in this, and I fail to see how any speculation, no matter how trivial or controversial it may seem to you is harmful, other fans may actually enjoy reading it or Hell, even speculating on it themselves. I respect the fact that you, as an individual are obviously irratated by this, but I don't believe this should shut myself down from potentially fun conversation on this with others.

In short, there is nothing wrong, absolutely nothing with thinking of the possibilities and a little hope that sometimes, good things can happen with this team.

Haven't speculated this much since just before Briere and Drury were picked up.

I don't care what the other fans on other boards are using as sources when that only source is Eck. I'm thisclose to putting you on ignore so that I don't have to read anymore from an Eck wannabe. At least BamBam just copy-pasted it so we could just skip reading his posts and go straight to ribbing him for it.

Drop the Kaberle BS, it's not happening.

Archived