[OT] Umpire blows call, costs Detroit pitcher a perfect game

LabattBlue

Game just ended. 1st base ump blew a call with 2 out in the 9th and it wasn't even that close of a play. Bye bye perfect game and no hitter. This was after a GREAT catch by the Detroit centerfielder at the start of the inning.

It wasn't even bang-bang. Jim Joyce should be fired. If he had any self respect he should just quit.

If there is any player in any sport that deserved to kick the crap out of any referee it's the Tigers pitcher.

The guy has a 22 year career and is one of the most respected umpires in the game. He screwed up and admitted it afterward. And you think he should be fired?

Sux for Detroit. Still, major league umps get calls right about 97% of the time; wish we could say that about NHL referees. Then again, umpires deal with completely binary (safe vs. out, fair vs. foul, ball vs. strike, etc.) decisions in "snapshot" mode; NHL referees deal with judgment calls (how long was that stick hooked around the guy's waist? was that a reach for the puck, or an attempt to trip, or was it a dive?) in a much more fluid sport.

As TW said, a respected umpire with a long career made a mistake. It really sucks, but it happens. Detroit won the game, so no harm for them. As for Galarraga, it really, really ... really sucks. However, everyone knows he pitched a perfect game. If there's a record book somewhere that tracks those things, the MLB should make some kind of formal decree that he pitched a perfect game and it should go in with an asterisk.

Meh.... looked to me like the 1st baseman bobbled the ball. Any other situation, this would be an easy safe call.

HOWEVER....... all the cheeseburgers in the world wouldn't have convinced me to call him safe in that situation, I don't care if the guy jacked one out of the park, I'm still calling you out. :bag:

The guy has a 22 year career and is one of the most respected umpires in the game. He screwed up and admitted it afterward. And you think he should be fired?

If he can't bother paying attention at such a important part of the game? Yes! It was as easy a call as you can get in baseball.

As TW said, a respected umpire with a long career made a mistake. It really sucks, but it happens. Detroit won the game, so no harm for them. As for Galarraga, it really, really ... really sucks. However, everyone knows he pitched a perfect game. If there's a record book somewhere that tracks those things, the MLB should make some kind of formal decree that he pitched a perfect game and it should go in with an asterisk.

Even if baseball corrects the call after the fact the moment is still gone. What should have been a great moment and a time to celebrate on the field with his teammates was stolen from him by the umpire's incompetence.

Even if baseball corrects the call after the fact the moment is still gone. What should have been a great moment and a time to celebrate on the field with his teammates was stolen from him by the umpire's incompetence.

Not that I think MLB would reverse the call after the fact, but I agree with you. The moment is gone.

I have to give Joyce some credit for manning up after seeing the replay and saying that he blew the call and also to Galaraga for being classy after the game, meeting with Joyce.

DETROIT (AP)—Armando Galarraga(notes) squeezed the ball in his mitt, stepped on first base with his right foot and was ready to celebrate.

What happened next will be the talk of baseball for the rest of this season and likely a lot longer: the perfect game that wasn’t.

Umpire Jim Joyce emphatically called Cleveland’s Jason Donald(notes) safe, the Detroit Tigers argued and a chorus of groans and boos echoed in Comerica Park.

Then Joyce emphatically said he was wrong and later, in tears, hugged Galarraga and apologized.

“It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the (stuff) out of it,” Joyce said, looking and sounding distraught as he paced in the umpires’ locker room. “I just cost that kid a perfect game.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AgHM4_5K8iT3BCLExWWjDbc5nYcB?gid=300602106

If he can't bother paying attention at such a important part of the game? Yes! It was as easy a call as you can get in baseball.

Who says he wasn't paying attention? He made a mistake, your eyes and brain can play tricks on you. Its why eye witness testimony is the least reliable testimony.

Oh well, a perfect game that should have been to go with Halladay's perfect game that wasn't. He clearly had two ball fours earlier in the game that weren't called.

This is one of the reasons I hate baseball. I can barely stand the subjective nature of most of the calls in the NHL. I can't imagine following a sport where almost every single play is subject to the whim of an official.

They did it for the Pine-Tar game. They can easily correct the call since it was the game ending play.

Pine-Tar was a rule called wrong. This was a judgement call. However wrong it was it can not be protested. Same as you can not change a ball/strike call.

Who says he wasn't paying attention? He made a mistake, your eyes and brain can play tricks on you. Its why eye witness testimony is the least reliable testimony.

The play wasn't close. If his eyes are that bad he shouldn't be on the field.

Pine-Tar was a rule called wrong. This was a judgement call. However wrong it was it can not be protested. Same as you can not change a ball/strike call.

The play wasn't close enough to be considered a judgment call.

This is a easy fix for MLB. They simply declare the game over at the point when the pitcher touches the bag. There is no additional baseball needed to be played. Declare the perfect game and at least give the kid the place in history he earned. Don't let it be taken away by the incompetence of some hack.

So far Galarraga is coming across as the real winner in this whole thing. Take a look at all the people foaming at the mouth even though they had absolutely nothing to do with this game and then look how Galarraga has reacted. He's coming across as a class act and he's going to gain a lot of fans because of this. More athletes, check that, more people should act like he has.

So far Galarraga is coming across as the real winner in this whole thing. Take a look at all the people foaming at the mouth even though they had absolutely nothing to do with this game and then look how Galarraga has reacted. He's coming across as a class act and he's going to gain a lot of fans because of this. More athletes, check that, more people should act like he has.

shrader shoots and scores, top shelf.

That "smile" he made after the call was classic, but he really has been amazingly understanding. Bravo.

The play wasn't close enough to be considered a judgment call.

This is a easy fix for MLB. They simply declare the game over at the point when the pitcher touches the bag. There is no additional baseball needed to be played. Declare the perfect game and at least give the kid the place in history he earned. Don't let it be taken away by the incompetence of some hack.

The ump is hardly a hack (read up), but there was an easy way out for MLB. Shame that they didn't take it. Shame on Selig. In my book (which counts for nothing), there are three perfect games this year.

And there's another factor pushing me a little more away from baseball, now, too.

Archived