[OT] Umpire blows call, costs Detroit pitcher a perfect game

LabattBlue

The ump is hardly a hack (read up), but there was an easy way out for MLB. Shame that they didn't take it. Shame on Selig. In my book (which counts for nothing), there are three perfect games this year.

And there's another factor pushing me a little more away from baseball, now, too.

Does it really matter if he's officially credited with a perfect game? How many people can actually name all 20 pitchers that have thrown one? I'll go out on a limb and say that more people will remember this one than the other two perfect games this year. Ultimately, isn't that what it's really about?

Does it really matter if he's officially credited with a perfect game? How many people can actually name all 20 pitchers that have thrown one? I'll go out on a limb and say that more people will remember this one than the other two perfect games this year. Ultimately, isn't that what it's really about?

Yeah, I think it matters. I think it matters to the pitchers and the Detroit fans, if not all fans, too. But of course, this will be memorable. For all the wrong reasons.

I know tons of baseball fans who can name all 20. I'm not one of them.

And has there ever been a year--much less a 30-odd-day period--with three?

Yeah, I think it matters. I think it matters to the pitchers and the Detroit fans, if not all fans, too. But of course, this will be memorable. For all the wrong reasons.

I know tons of baseball fans who can name all 20. I'm not one of them.

And has there ever been a year--much less a 30-odd-day period--with three?

This. I'm a Yankee fan and I can remember watching the last few innings of David Wells' and David Cone's perfect games. I'll never forget them. When was the last time Detroit fans had something like this? Jack Morris' no-hitter? Everyone in Detroit last night was robbed of saying they witnessed history.

This is a huge mistake that Joyce will never live down or forgive himself for. That said, I agree (for the first time) with Bud Selig's decision not to reverse the call. It was obvious Joyce missed the call and we have the technology to prove it, but by doing so, we open up a box that we won't ever come back from.

Once MLB gets a procedure in place to use replay for stuff like this, then I can live with overturning a call. But something like that should be done on the field. The only way the commissioner should overturn something is if a rule is misinterpreted that changed the outcome of the game (pine tar game, e.g.).

You have a average pitcher doing something amazing and being denied a place in the baseball Hall of Fame because someone else couldn't do his job.

The ump is hardly a hack (read up), but there was an easy way out for MLB. Shame that they didn't take it. Shame on Selig. In my book (which counts for nothing), there are three perfect games this year.

And there's another factor pushing me a little more away from baseball, now, too.

Is there any doubt if this happened to a Yankee or Red Sox it would have been reversed before they left the field?

Yes he did. He didn't have control. Too bad, no way should it be overturned

That wasn't the reason why the hack missed the call. Anyway, it was such a bad call the pitcher, and it was the pitcher who caught the ball, had time to bobble, drop and pick the ball up before the runner hit the bag. I am sure he looked at all the replays and wouldn't feel as bad as he does for missing the call if it were the right call overall. He blew it and stole something from that young man no apology can return.

That wasn't the reason why the hack missed the call. Anyway, it was such a bad call the pitcher, and it was the pitcher who caught the ball, had time to bobble, drop and pick the ball up before the runner hit the bag. I am sure he looked at all the replays and wouldn't feel as bad as he does for missing the call if it were the right call overall. He blew it and stole something from that young man no apology can return.

Just give you enough time and you do what no retort can do.....

He never dropped the ball, just bobbled it in his glove.

Either way, it was so close that in a normal situation it could have gone either way. In this case, it was a huge blown call.

He never dropped the ball, just bobbled it in his glove.

Either way, it was so close that in a normal situation it could have gone either way. In this case, it was a huge blown call.

Even the batter figured he'd be out given the situation. It was a play that umps get right about 98% of the time - this time, it just happened to be at the worst possible time.

You have a average pitcher doing something amazing and being denied a place in the baseball Hall of Fame because someone else couldn't do his job.

They put them in the hall of fame for that? That's the only possible set back from it not being official, that he might not be able to join some super secret club. Otherwise, in the eyes of the fans, the most important part of the game, he did in fact throw a perfect game and will be remembered as such. And I'll stick by my thought that far more peope will remember this than Halladay's or that other guy's (the fact that I can't even remember his name already says a lot).

They put them in the hall of fame for that? That's the only possible set back from it not being official, that he might not be able to join some super secret club. Otherwise, in the eyes of the fans, the most important part of the game, he did in fact throw a perfect game and will be remembered as such. And I'll stick by my thought that far more peope will remember this than Halladay's or that other guy's (the fact that I can't even remember his name already says a lot).

The ball, his glove and other items would be put on display. It was opportunity of a life time ruined by the ump's inability to make a simple call.

The ball, his glove and other items would be put on display. It was opportunity of a life time ruined by the ump's inability to make a simple call.

Does MLB have any say over what the HoF does? Couldn't they still grab something from that game? Either way, this kid is at the center of the public's eye. I'd say it has worked out really well for him.

I read a column -- can't find the link -- that basically said in a country that is always looking for heroes, and desperately needs some right now, it just found two. I can't look at it any other way.

Heroes is a bit of a stretch, but yeah, it's very refreshing to see some decent character with most of what is reported in pro sports these days.

Does MLB have any say over what the HoF does? Couldn't they still grab something from that game? Either way, this kid is at the center of the public's eye. I'd say it has worked out really well for him.

Not sure on this. I had heard once that there is a HOF rep at every MLB game to certify items in case historic moments happen.

The public eye is a wandering one. The kid will be forgotten soon and the the Ump will live in infamy.

• 2 weeks later...

With his his name all over the news in recent days is there any doubt this would happen. I'm sure many players picked him because of his apology and others because it was the only name they recognized.

These guys are on the field with each other 162 days out of the year. Do you seriously think that they don't know their names?

These guys are on the field with each other 162 days out of the year. Do you seriously think that they don't know their names?

I don't think the same ump does every game for every team. I also saw a study where like 75% of high school students couldn't find Canada and Mexico on a map. So if you are asking me if I don't think that a group of players, many whose first language is not English couldn't identify one particular umpire. My answer would be yes. I think a vast majority couldn't name one umpire even if you offered money.

I don't think the same ump does every game for every team. I also saw a study where like 75% of high school students couldn't find Canada and Mexico on a map. So if you are asking me if I don't think that a group of players, many whose first language is not English couldn't identify one particular umpire. My answer would be yes. I think a vast majority couldn't name one umpire even if you offered money.

That is completely naive. These guys spend more time with each other then their families. On top of that, professional athletes study umpires/officials/referees and have books on them to know what calls they may or may not get. To think they don't know their names is showing either ignorance, naivete or just a desire to spew an opposing view.

Why do you think this is? Is it because some people in our nation don't have maps?

That is completely naive. These guys spend more time with each other then their families. On top of that, professional athletes study umpires/officials/referees and have books on them to know what calls they may or may not get. To think they don't know their names is showing either ignorance, naivete or just a desire to spew an opposing view.

I'm sure the players and umps hang out all the time on the road :lol: The fact you are saying that players will have to study the differences between umpires goes to a lack of integrity in the umpiring process. I'm sure pitchers/catchers get a game day date report. I doubt many pay any attention to the umps name.

It's funny that you are suggesting I may be "naive" yet Bud Selig thought best to assign a hard-a$$ like Frank Robinson to over see umpires. I am sure he is not there to put on a white glove and apply baby powder to the umpires balls as you seem willing to do.

Why do you think this is? Is it because some people in our nation don't have maps?

I think as soon as 'Grand Theft Auto Mexico' and 'Grand Theft Auto Canada' are released the percentages will be much better. As least 80% of high school kids know how to beat a hooker with a baseball bat and take her money.

Archived