[OT] Umpire blows call, costs Detroit pitcher a perfect game

LabattBlue

I'm sure the players and umps hang out all the time on the road :lol: The fact you are saying that players will have to study the differences between umpires goes to a lack of integrity in the umpiring process. I'm sure pitchers/catchers get a game day date report. I doubt many pay any attention to the umps name.

It's funny that you are suggesting I may be "naive" yet Bud Selig thought best to assign a hard-a$$ like Frank Robinson to over see umpires. I am sure he is not there to put on a white glove and apply baby powder to the umpires balls as you seem willing to do.

Thanks for proving my point.

That is completely naive. These guys spend more time with each other then their families. On top of that, professional athletes study umpires/officials/referees and have books on them to know what calls they may or may not get. To think they don't know their names is showing either ignorance, naivete or just a desire to spew an opposing view.

I know half of the refs in the NHL by sight. I'd think if I were playing in the NHL I'd know them all. I'm with you on this one.

As for kids being morons, it seems like you heard the same things about my generation (class of 1994). The world hasn't fallen off its axis yet. For the older folks here: think back. There were a lot of morons in your high school class too, weren't there? This isn't a new phenomenon.

I know half of the refs in the NHL by sight. I'd think if I were playing in the NHL I'd know them all. I'm with you on this one.

They also being paid a ridiculous amount of money to play these games. Sure there's going to be the random idiot, but most are going to know the people who play a big role in earning that money.

Archived