CONFERENCE FINALS THREAD

Corp000085

Screw Briere envy, it's time to start having Leighton envy. The man is sizzling hot.

Has any team been shutout three times in four games in NHL history?

Per SI, 13 goalies have three shutouts in a seven game series. No one has ever had four.

I'm routing for Flyers to do it. I like being a witness to history..

I want a Flyers vs Hawks series. They way both teams are playing, that will be a great series.

I want a Flyers vs Hawks series. They way both teams are playing, that will be a great series.

I want Hawks-Habs, but it's not looking too promising.

Though, considering the Habs came from 3-1 down to beat Washington and the Phlyers came from 3-0 down to beat Boston, I certainly hope nobody is thinking the East finals are over yet.

I haven't bothered to look for Sabres' playoff results to see if they've been shut out three times in one playoff series. However my money is on "no" and this post sounds like just another gratuitous slam against Lindy Ruff.

The post didn't say anything about playoffs.

Gratuitous? Don't you think Lindy deserves it for the offensive ineptness that has marked his tenure, the few seasons that were statistical oddballs notwithstanding? That is the one nice thing about having the same coach for so many years. Valid trends do emerge.

Per SI, 13 goalies have three shutouts in a seven game series. No one has ever had four.

I'm routing for Flyers to do it. I like being a witness to history..

They already made history last series. That's enough for now.

Is the Chris Pronger acquisition the move of the season? It's frustrating to think that Pronger is a player the Sabres had zero chance of ever acquiring. How can you ever really be a contender when a large portion of the better players in the league are not even a option for you.

It's still frustrating to think that the Sabres could be willing to pay top dollar too any quality free agent and won't be able to get one signed.

Why do you think the Sabres can't get these guys? When I read the first post I assumed it was another shot at DR, but the 2nd post sounds like you think it's because FAs aren't interested in the city and/or the organization. I agree that most FAs will stay away from the Sabres, but I think it's because the best of them have many options and the city of Buffalo is just much less appealing than most of the other options. Still, it would be nice to see the Sabres in the mix on Marleau.

As for Pronger, he was acquired by Philly in trade, not as a FA, and he was one of the guys (along with Ryan Smyth and to a lesser degree Phaneuf) that I thought the Sabres should've been in the mix for -- and if you want to blame DR for sitting too much on the sidelines, I'd agree in those cases.

Lindy will never allow a guy on the team bigger than him. He's the star. Once you get over that fact it's not frustrating at all, it's just the way it is.

Nonsense.

Why do you think the Sabres can't get these guys? When I read the first post I assumed it was another shot at DR, but the 2nd post sounds like you think it's because FAs aren't interested in the city and/or the organization. I agree that most FAs will stay away from the Sabres, but I think it's because the best of them have many options and the city of Buffalo is just much less appealing than most of the other options. Still, it would be nice to see the Sabres in the mix on Marleau.

As for Pronger, he was acquired by Philly in trade, not as a FA, and he was one of the guys (along with Ryan Smyth and to a lesser degree Phaneuf) that I thought the Sabres should've been in the mix for -- and if you want to blame DR for sitting too much on the sidelines, I'd agree in those cases.

Nonsense.

Pronger had the say where he is going. If he isn't willing to play in Edmonton he's not going to give the nod to Buffalo.

The free agent thing goes back to the hot topic the past couple of off seasons. Can the Sabres attract a top level free agent? They are stuck in the bargain basement sorting through bins of Montador and Grier type players. The consensus, if I remember correctly, was that after Drury, Briere and then Campbell heading out of town the Sabres reputation took a big hit. The Sabres have yet to be able to make a move to prove other wise.

I know that chances are very slim that Darcy would sign a big-name free agent, but I have a bad feeling that Marleau's play in this series (one Shark that actually showed up) priced him completely out of consideration.

FWIW I read an article last week that Marleau's wife really likes California and wants to stay there. I wouldn't put it past SJS to trade Thornton and sign Marleau to a 7-8 mill deal.

They already made history last series. That's enough for now.

Nah, they just tied history. Four shutouts ain't been done before.

Kind of like 8 gold medals, 65 Homeruns, etc..

Nah, they just tied history. Four shutouts ain't been done before.

Kind of like 8 gold medals, 65 Homeruns, etc..

True, but just to keep Philly out of any record book, I'll say that coming back from the 3-0 hole in game 7 after already being down 3-0 in the series was a first. :thumbsup:

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this matchup. On one hand, you have a team that played like the best team in the league pretty much all year, and on the other hand, one that has been on life support more times than not this season.

I really don't like Laviolette (I just can't stand looking at him, his face just looks like it would look much better with my fist in it.), but he did a ###### of a job getting that locker room together.

FWIW I read an article last week that Marleau's wife really likes California and wants to stay there. I wouldn't put it past SJS to trade Thornton and sign Marleau to a 7-8 mill deal.

Thornton has a no trade clause and I don't believe that it's one of those "name 10 teams ..." type. Not that it can't happen, but that definitely makes it tougher.

I'm still not sure I believe the Flyers are this good. But they're starting to sway me. Who honestly saw this coming?

Looking at their roster, there's a ton of talent, including role players and depth. I'd trade everyone on our roster for Richards. The only real question was goaltending. Honestly, I find it harder to believe that they ended up just the eight seed.

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this matchup. On one hand, you have a team that played like the best team in the league pretty much all year, and on the other hand, one that has been on life support more times than not this season.

I really don't like Laviolette (I just can't stand looking at him, his face just looks like it would look much better with my fist in it.), but he did a ###### of a job getting that locker room together.

If the Flyers win, we'll have consecutive Stanley Cup champs who made coaching changes mid-season.

But Darcy's probably too busy re-signing Drew Stafford to pay attention.

Don't let PA hear you say that...

Can't disagree. It's something how they snuck into the playoffs after winning a shootout on the final day of the season. I'm not sure which is worse...watching Laviolette do this with the Flyers or having the Drury-led Rangers do the same thing. Either way, it sucks to know that the Sabres were a better team than either Montreal or Philly throughout the year.

The sabres were a better team than Montreal and Philly in the regular season but we $ucked when it counted and thats all that counts.I'd take Phillys team any day over our softys simply because they are built to succeed in the playoffs.Who cares about division titles.Let me sneek into the playoffs and go to the finals every year and I'd be happy.

The sabres were a better team than Montreal and Philly in the regular season but we $ucked when it counted and thats all that counts.I'd take Phillys team any day over our softys simply because they are built to succeed in the playoffs.Who cares about division titles.Let me sneek into the playoffs and go to the finals every more often than every 25th year and I'd be happy.

Fixed it for you.

Let's see. Philly's finals drought was about as long as Buffalo's -- 13 years to 11.

Can you imagine the Flyers getting knocked out in the first round and deciding to bring back... wait for it... Terry Murray as head coach? Got them there in 97, must be (and is) a very good coach. But, my God, 13 seasons of it, without a whiff of a Cup?

Of course it wouldn't fly in Philly, among the media or fans -- or ownership. Why is Buffalo different? This is bugging me. Why is Buffalo different?

What's the definition of sanity? Doing the same thing over and over, knowing a safe and predictable result will follow? Give me some insanity. It's a lot more fun.

Let's see. Philly's finals drought was about as long as Buffalo's -- 13 years to 11.

Can you imagine the Flyers getting knocked out in the first round and deciding to bring back... wait for it... Terry Murray as head coach? Got them there in 97, must be (and is) a very good coach. But, my God, 13 seasons of it, without a whiff of a Cup?

Of course it wouldn't fly in Philly, among the media or fans -- or ownership. Why is Buffalo different? This is bugging me. Why is Buffalo different?

What's the definition of sanity? Doing the same thing over and over, knowing a safe and predictable result will follow? Give me some insanity. It's a lot more fun.

What's the definition of obtuse?

Archived