A Player Per Day: No. 9: Derek Roy

Eleven

80 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

OK. I was a little late with McCormick after 9pm (but polls still are open on all players, anyway), so I'm making up for it with a midnight post about the man whom the jerkass announcer at the Arena would call:

Derrrrrrreeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk ROY!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of us just call him Derek Roy.

Other famous Dereks include Derek Jeter, and most importantly, Bo Derek. Bo Derek always will be more important than Derek Jeter.

He plays hard every game, he's great in our own end, puts up points, and contrary to popular opinion, he doesn't lose the puck any more than any other center. He also plays every game. For someone not so big, he's pretty rugged.

He's just not a 1st or 2nd line center. Third line and not a top six forward. As a third line center he is a good value at $4 mill a year.

Is 4 million really a good value for a 3rd line player though?

What would your 1st and 2nd line center be making then?

He's just not a 1st or 2nd line center. Third line and not a top six forward. As a third line center he is a good value at $4 mill a year.

not a top-6 forward? as a guy who's shown he can post ~70 a year and still bring something defensively?

really?

a random sampling of the #s for some very capable second line centers from 2009-2010: belanger (41), zetterberg (70), pavelski (51), carter (61), kesler (75).

roy may be better off on a right wing, but he's almost certainly a top-6 forward on every team in the league (save for maybe a few at the top).

all that said, i am all in favor of packaging him for a player who can both replace his #'s and inject a different sort of attitude into "the room".

not a top-6 forward? as a guy who's shown he can post ~70 a year and still bring something defensively?

really?

a random sampling of the #s for some very capable second line centers from 2009-2010: belanger (41), zetterberg (70), pavelski (51), carter (61), kesler (75).

roy may be better off on a right wing, but he's almost certainly a top-6 forward on every team in the league (save for maybe a few at the top).

all that said, i am all in favor of packaging him for a player who can both replace his #'s and inject a different sort of attitude into "the room".

If a player with the right attitude can be brought in for Roy, I'm willing to take 20 pts dropoff in scoring. If he can also win draws, make that 30 pts.

It's more than just points. Scoring line centers are not easy to replace, but if DR could find two, I'd ship Connolly and Roy out of here tomorrow. Knowing that this is not going to happen, I'll stick to my guns and insist that at least one of them has to go.

I highly doubt he's going anywhere but I'm all for shipping his ###### out of here as long as the return in equitable.

really?

THIS

Did you just post that, or am i going insane form third shift?

4 mill for a third line center is astonishing.

People complain about Goose's salary.

If a player with the right attitude can be brought in for Roy, I'm willing to take 20 pts dropoff in scoring. If he can also win draws, make that 30 pts.

with a nod to Duds, i say: THIS.

he's a cancer.
Isn't that a little harsh?

it probably is somewhat harsh - but i don't think it's too, too far from the truth.

I'm with Aud. He can still put up points and is still a top-6 forward.

... and we would be delighted if he were a top-6 forward on some western conference team that we'd rarely have to see.

Roys always been a creative forward but when he's your top scorer your teams not going anywhere.He can't put up numbers in the post season,get rid of him.Thats all that matters.In this case the sabres DO need change for changes sake.We need players(as Bucky recently put it)who absolutely hate to lose.Get rid of these guys that are happy to go through the motions.I want guys that will go through ###### to win.

He's a fine second-line center with a reasonable contract. Unfortunately, between Connolly's injuries or disappearing acts, he hasn't been in the #2 slot very often. He's not a #1 and especially not when there isn't even a second #2 center on the team (which has been true much of the last three years.) If we can use him in a small series of trades to get value that is, in turn, traded for a true #1, then I am all for it. If, instead, Connolly goes and a true #1 come in, then I'd be fine with that, too.

Roys always been a creative forward but when he's your top scorer your teams not going anywhere.He can't put up numbers in the post season,get rid of him.Thats all that matters.In this case the sabres DO need change for changes sake.We need players(as Bucky recently put it)who absolutely hate to lose.Get rid of these guys that are happy to go through the motions.I want guys that will go through ###### to win.

I agree,

Heres the problem, will there be enough significant players being traded of here, and will there be enough coming in to make this possible?

To acheive that, at least 2 guys will need to come out of the top 6.

The more my mind wanders, the more i think Jochen Hecht will be out this off season. I think in a package Hecht can bring in something attractive to another teamn that will take that and satisfy our needs.

A three way deal with a defensive team looking to add another element to their system, we recieve a Dman, trade said Dman and a pick? For some offensive size? We would of course need to move someone else to either make room finanically or physically.

Perhaps throwing Connolly to any team for anything? I'm getting way to ahead of myself here.

Let's face it Roy without Vanek is not good for Roy. Connolly without Hecht is not good for Connolly. Each line needs 2 guys that work great together and another guy that'll claim the wall as his and take the pressure off the two setup guys.

We saw it in the playoffs, both Connolly and Roy sucked because of it. Stafford is supposed to be the Hecht on the Roy-Vanek line and rarely shows up. In a pefect world it would be nice to bring in two guys that have played together before, whether it's a Roy-Vanek type combo (two setup guys) or a Connolly-Hecht combo.

He's a fine second-line center with a reasonable contract. ... If we can use him in a small series of trades to get value that is, in turn, traded for a true #1, then I am all for it. If, instead, Connolly goes and a true #1 come in, then I'd be fine with that, too.

what he said.

really?

The only way Roy is a top six forward is by using the same standards of mediocrity used by the front office and many of the fans. I am going to respond to these player evaluations with one thing in mind, can they get me a Stanley Cup. I am not winning a Cup with Roy as a top six forward. Unless there is a drastic change in his maturity level on the ice the only spot on my team is the third line center position. His $4 mil a year deal is already in place so that can't be changed. I am trying to fit players in where they belong and not simply slot a player into the top six because of contract or potential. Roy's points would be a nice bonus on the third line and he would still get his PP/PK time. He is simply not the difference maker I am looking for in a top six forward. He has a lot of growing up to do as a player before he ever would be.

Let's face it Roy without Vanek is not good for Roy. Connolly without Hecht is not good for Connolly. Each line needs 2 guys that work great together and another guy that'll claim the wall as his and take the pressure off the two setup guys.

We saw it in the playoffs, both Connolly and Roy sucked because of it. Stafford is supposed to be the Hecht on the Roy-Vanek line and rarely shows up. In a pefect world it would be nice to bring in two guys that have played together before, whether it's a Roy-Vanek type combo (two setup guys) or a Connolly-Hecht combo.

what he said

I know it's a bit of a tangent, but I was thinking Roy was even a pretty good winger in 05-06, when he played next to Drury. I couldn't remember the other winger, so I went back to the game reports... It was Grier, but good Lord, that team was stacked!

Brierre - Dumont - Afinogenov

Drury - Grier - Roy

Connolly - Pominville - Kotalik

Gaustad - Pyatt - Vanek

With Hecht and Mair upstairs...

I still think we should have kept Dumont and let Brierre walk after that season.

Archived