Vanek deal

PotentPowerPlay22

How many people still think signing Vanek by matching Edmonton's offer sheet was a smart move?

I still believe the Sabres should have taken the four 1st round picks and saved the $50 million in salary. There would be a good chance that the Sabres would have the number one overall pick in this year's draft even if the Oilers had Vanek.

BTW, how is that acquisition of Rafi Torres for a 2nd rounder looking at this point? Is it going to work out better than previous rentals Dominic Moore and Dainus Zubrus?

Who is responsible: Regier or Quinn?

How many people still think signing Vanek by matching Edmonton's offer sheet was a smart move?

HSBC would have been burned to the ground if the Sabres let Drury, Briere and Vanek all walk in the same year. Their hand was forced, not that I like Vanek...at all, but it was what it was, a move to save face.

I still believe the Sabres should have taken the four 1st round picks and saved the $50 million in salary. There would be a good chance that the Sabres would have the number one overall pick in this year's draft even if the Oilers had Vanek.

Would the Oilers really be the worst team in the league with Vanek? Would they have done things differently organ-eye-zationally if they had aquired him? Kind of or butterfly effect thing, right?

BTW, how is that acquisition of Rafi Torres for a 2nd rounder looking at this point? Is it going to work out better than previous rentals Dominic Moore and Dainus Zubrus?

Zubrus was a decent pick up. He contributed and mauled Jagr in the playoffs.

Does it matter? Who was responsible for getting Ryan Miller and Tyler Myers? I'm not a huge fan of the management in place but I think the Sabres could do far worse.

HSBC would have been burned to the ground if the Sabres let Drury, Briere and Vanek all walk in the same year.

QFT ... well, not literally QFT ... but figuratively, yeah.

Zubrus ... mauled Jagr in the playoffs.

hadn't thought of that in a while -- equally QFT.

1. It's one relative down season, and he's still our leading goal-scorer. If he rebounds with a 40 goal, 80 point season next year, was it suddenly a smart move again? He's having a disappointing season, but let's not pretend like he's suddenly a 4th line scrub.

2. Vanek would be the best skater/scorer on Edmonton and odds are they wouldn't be in last place.

3. Hindsight is usually 20/20, but apparently yours is worse than that. :nana: Zubrus was very good for the Sabres in his short tenure.

And call me crazy, but shouldn't we let Torres finish off his time in Buffalo before we throw him under the bus? Stu Barnes looked like a bad pickup too. How'd that one work out for us?

Was Barnes a rental we ended up signing?

Does it matter though? Just the playoffs alone that one year shows why you can't judge a trade after the guy has played on 7 games. 7 GAMES!

I thought Torres played alright his first two games here... didn't he set up 2 of OUR game winning goals in those games before that bad turnover cost the other one?

I thought Torres played alright his first two games here... didn't he set up 2 of OUR game winning goals in those games before that bad turnover cost the other one?

I believe barnes didn't score in the regular season when he was picked up. Then the playoffs hit and BAM off the races.

Is anyone missing Nathan Paestch right now?

How many people are upset that the Sabres are in first place in their division by 9 points. They had absolutely zero choice on that Vanek thing....

Judging by the traffic on his board over the last couple months I'd say almost everyone except me.

Everyones jumping on the "fire Lindy" bandwagon.

Management dosen't have a clue....can't make a deal....won't try to improve the team...Darcy has no balls....

The top six cant score

Vanek sucks

Pominville sucks

Connolly is staying healthy but he sucks

Hecht is having a much better year but he still sucks

Roy should have been traded and he sucks

Staffords a slacker who we should waive just to get rid of him and he sucks

Mair is replaceable and he sucks

Gaustad can only win faceoffs, he's too soft, and he sucks

Ellis - see Mair. Oh, and he sucks

Kaleta's goal total blows our minds, he still draws penalties, but he sucks

Kennedy hit the rookie wall so he sucks

Grier can only perform on the PK so he sucks

Torres hasn't scored yet so he sucks

Rivet is old and slow so he sucks

Montador was a bad signing so he sucks

Butler dosen't play as well as he was so he sucks

Lydman sucks

Sekera sucks

If Mac was still here he'd suck

Lalime can't stop a shot to save his life, he sucks

The PP sucks

Everything is Lindy's fault!!! He MUST BE FIRED! Oh, and he sucks

March 22nd, a nine point lead with a game in hand. This team has exceeded everyones (yes, everyone) expectations going into the year and still 99% find reasons to constantly cry. It's really kinda sad. Pathetic even.

Raffi Torres was at his best in 05/06 for Edmonton during their run to the finals. He was physical and all over the ice. He was a pest and got under a lot of opposing players skin. Didn't have many pts, but he was one of the playoff MVPs for Edmonton that year IMO. Don't know wtf happened to him, but I hope he returns to the player he can be.

Judging by the traffic on his board over the last couple months I'd say almost everyone except me.

Management dosen't have a clue....can't make a deal....won't try to improve the team...Darcy has no balls....

The top six cant score

Vanek sucks

Pominville sucks

Lydman sucks

Sekera sucks

The PP sucks

March 22nd, a nine point lead with a game in hand. This team has exceeded everyones (yes, everyone) expectations going into the year and still 99% find reasons to constantly cry. It's really kinda sad. Pathetic even.

Laughing.. Well done Hank. One of the better(funnier) posts I've read on here in '10..Thanks

I think you make a really good point here. This team HAS exceeded expectations... so why not enjoy it?

The top six cant score

Vanek sucks

Pominville sucks

Lydman sucks

Sekera sucks

The PP sucks

don't forget that we didn't sign Briere or Drury 3 years ago, so we're doomed to eternal suckage. See Also J.P. Dumont and Andrew Peters.

Bold Prediction: At the 34 game mark next year Tyler Myers will go 6 games 0g, 2a 28 minutes and a -6, and then he too, will forever suck.

To be fair though, Mair and Lalime really do suck.

The top six cant score

Vanek sucks

Pominville sucks

Lydman sucks

Sekera sucks

The PP sucks

Do you feel better now?

It's easy to second guess a decision after the fact. Hindsight is 20/20. Fact is (YES IT'S A FACT) after what happened to Briere and Drury, there would have been mass chaos in the streets had they not signed Vanek. GET OVER IT! I think Vanek has looked damn good the second half of the season. When you have a balanced scoring team that plays a defensive game to boot, do you really expect anybody to score 50 goals? Half the reason Vanek stands out is he's not a multi-dimensional player. So if he's not scoring fans are breathing down his neck. As of right now, the Sabres are averaging more points per game than the Pens and look at the talent they have!! Sit back, enjoy the division win and home ice in the first round. If you don't like it, go adopt the Islanders and your fave team.;)

It's easy to second guess a decision after the fact. Hindsight is 20/20. Fact is (YES IT'S A FACT) after what happened to Briere and Drury, there would have been mass chaos in the streets had they not signed Vanek.

Vanek was the top priority going into that offseason. No matter what happened with Briere/Drury, he was not going anywhere.

This reminds me of Ruff's comments shortly after the Sabres matched the offer sheet. He said he didn't want to put too much pressure on Vanek -- the phrase "manage expectations" comes to mind. While the idea of protecting a young player who just got a huge contract is admirable, I have to wonder today if it isn't, in hindsight, the root of all evil.

This reminds me of Ruff's comments shortly after the Sabres matched the offer sheet. He said he didn't want to put too much pressure on Vanek -- the phrase "manage expectations" comes to mind. While the idea of protecting a young player who just got a huge contract is admirable, I have to wonder today if it isn't, in hindsight, the root of all evil.

It's not the contract. It's having a coach who can not relate to a player with as much talent as Vanek has. We would all love for Vanek to turn into a Zetterberg. If it's not there you can't force it. We will not see Vanek return to form until a coach comes in here who can get Vanek back on his offensive game. Vanek is a player who should be able to log at least 19 to 20 minutes a game. He's not going to score from the bench. He's need to be on the #1 power play unit and he needs to be on the PK. He should also be the first one out on the ice for the shootouts. He's not Adam Mair or Matt Ellis and it's time Lindy starts coaching him like it.

It's not the contract. It's having a coach who can not relate to a player with as much talent as Vanek has. We would all love for Vanek to turn into a Zetterberg. If it's not there you can't force it. We will not see Vanek return to form until a coach comes in here who can get Vanek back on his offensive game. Vanek is a player who should be able to log at least 19 to 20 minutes a game. He's not going to score from the bench. He's need to be on the #1 power play unit and he needs to be on the PK. He should also be the first one out on the ice for the shootouts. He's not Adam Mair or Matt Ellis and it's time Lindy starts coaching him like it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Archived