Vanek deal

PotentPowerPlay22

Except for the shootout thing. Some players just don't have it when it comes to the shootout. Vanek's one of them.

He's had his moments in the shootouts, but I feel he tends to overthink it for the most part. It should be fixable given his hands.

Vanek was the top priority going into that offseason. No matter what happened with Briere/Drury, he was not going anywhere.

True, but they should've at least tried to extend him during the season -- when they were the only team permitted to negotiate with him -- instead of sitting back and being reactive. It might not have worked, but it might have.

To be fair though, Mair and Lalime really do suck.

To be fair again, Mair may not be great, but if Vanek worked as hard as him, he'd probably have 35 goals by now.

I also agree that we had to keep Vanek no matter what...he came off a 40 goal and +40 year....that player is worth 7 million

a year....but a 30 goal, 60 point player is certainly not....but again, hindsight is 20/20.

Gotta be happy where we are in the standings, considering our only player having a career year is Miller, and our best player

outside of the crease is a rookie defenseman.....most of the other guys are just having so so years....if everyone steps it up

a level in the playoffs, we can make a run.

True, but they should've at least tried to extend him during the season -- when they were the only team permitted to negotiate with him -- instead of sitting back and being reactive. It might not have worked, but it might have.

And that was an idiotic team policy that has since been revised. We saw that happen with a lot of players. That problem was much bigger than just Vanek himself.

Gotta be happy where we are in the standings, considering our only player having a career year is Miller, and our best player

outside of the crease is a rookie defenseman.....most of the other guys are just having so so years....if everyone steps it up

a level in the playoffs, we can make a run.

Hecht is having one of his best, if not his best season.

Tallinder is having a big year.

Lydman has been outstanding on the PK.

Connolly has lived up to his $4.5 million deal.

Not to glom on to DeLuca's wonderful post, but I wonder if Hecht wouldn't be even further along if he wasn't stuck in that personal wasteland at center for all that time.

(Then again, maybe that time at center made him a better wing. Lindy you evil genius.)

Not to glom on to DeLuca's wonderful post, but I wonder if Hecht wouldn't be even further along if he wasn't stuck in that personal wasteland at center for all that time.

(Then again, maybe that time at center made him a better wing. Lindy you evil genius.)

I can't see giving Ruff much credit for any success at forward given the overall trend.

Actually Hecht has had 2 years of over 50 pts and another at 49...he won't hit that this year

Tallinder and Lydman have had pretty good solid years, but not career type years (though it is tough to measure

career years for stay at home defensemen)

and yes, Connolly has lived up to his contract, but the players are SUPPOSED to live up to their

contracts....its those that consistently do that and more often than not exceed them that win cups.

Don't get me wrong, I love the season the Sabres are having, I'm looking forward for many of them to step it

up to playoff level when the time comes.

It's not the contract. It's having a coach who can not relate to a player with as much talent as Vanek has. We would all love for Vanek to turn into a Zetterberg. If it's not there you can't force it. We will not see Vanek return to form until a coach comes in here who can get Vanek back on his offensive game. Vanek is a player who should be able to log at least 19 to 20 minutes a game. He's not going to score from the bench. He's need to be on the #1 power play unit and he needs to be on the PK. He should also be the first one out on the ice for the shootouts. He's not Adam Mair or Matt Ellis and it's time Lindy starts coaching him like it.

I don't know if it's the coaching...I thinks he's buckling under not necessarily the pressure but the mental expectations. He's been a near, if not full on, superstar since college, and now that it's the world stage I think he's having trouble with it sinking in, affecting his focus on the ice. And a huge contract doesn't help it; he kind of comes from humble beginnings, unlike Crosby and the rest who he's supposed to be up there with.

I don't know if it's the coaching...I thinks he's buckling under not necessarily the pressure but the mental expectations. He's been a near, if not full on, superstar since college, and now that it's the world stage I think he's having trouble with it sinking in, affecting his focus on the ice. And a huge contract doesn't help it; he kind of comes from humble beginnings, unlike Crosby and the rest who he's supposed to be up there with.

No offense, that is complete bullsh!t. He signed the "big contract" and was the top goal scorer in the league last year until he was injured.

For you theory to have any merit the Sabres would need to have other offensive talent thrive under Ruff. They don't. This teams "top six" is in a three year slump. Not one offensive minded player has shown any improvement during this time. That can't be a coincidence.

No offense, that is complete bullsh!t. He signed the "big contract" and was the top goal scorer in the league last year until he was injured.

For you theory to have any merit the Sabres would need to have other offensive talent thrive under Ruff. They don't. This teams "top six" is in a three year slump. Not one offensive minded player has shown any improvement during this time. That can't be a coincidence.

No offense taken. I still don't think it's the coaching. I think it's all mental because we've all seen them do awesome things on the ice before. No coach can make players do what they can do themselves.

I would have taken the 4 first round draft picks, and for several reasons.

1. The possibility to package these picks in a larger package to get the first overall, HELLO Stamkos or Kane. WIN!

2. Actually retaining 2 picks in the first rd for 4 years and the Sabres most certainly would have had an even worse record the last 2. HELLO Top 10 for atleast 2 or maybe even 3 seasons.

So what would we have potentially come out with? A rebuilt line 1 with young, hard core talent, that is, if Darcy had the balls to put a deal on the table for the first overall. Giving up potentially one 1st rounder in the top 10 and a roster player or another 1st rounder the following season is well worth the price of a Kane or Stamkos.

Also, having the degressed record could have landed multiple choices to match that talent.

I think overall, the signing of Vanek was a mistake from a strategic standpoint by management for a rebuild.

But I also must confess, I don't mind that they kepy Vanek, to many what ifs and other variables involved.

I believe it would have, seeing as I doubt anyone was expecting Lowe to lose what little sanity he had left, and offer Vanek 7 mill.

I'm sure the front office had expected something along the lines of 3-4 mill., perhaps feared 5 mill., but nobody expected a 7 mill. offer sheet, including Vanek and his agent.

Hence, it again falls on Darcy and his "no negatiating during the season" policy.

Briere and Drury walked to ridiculous contracts, and I doubt much could've or should've been done there, except perhaps the rumored 5 mill. offer for Drury.

However, Regier crapped the bed big time on Vanek. You could say Vanek and his agent might not have wanted to sign a deal mid-season, but I guess we'll never know since the Sabres ever offered him one until their hand was forced.

How many people still think signing Vanek by matching Edmonton's offer sheet was a smart move?

I still believe the Sabres should have taken the four 1st round picks and saved the $50 million in salary. There would be a good chance that the Sabres would have the number one overall pick in this year's draft even if the Oilers had Vanek.

BTW, how is that acquisition of Rafi Torres for a 2nd rounder looking at this point? Is it going to work out better than previous rentals Dominic Moore and Dainus Zubrus?

Who is responsible: Regier or Quinn?

taking the 4 1st rounders would have been terrible. you want 4 mystery draft pick who'll play wat off in the future for a star now? How dumb is that. He needs to play with a far better play maker as he scores goals that require a guy with exceptional passing ability. Try getting the guy a centermen.

No offense taken. I still don't think it's the coaching. I think it's all mental because we've all seen them do awesome things on the ice before. No coach can make players do what they can do themselves.

You don't see any coloration between Vanek's struggles and the similar struggles of Connolly, Roy, Pominville and Stafford? All have struggled mightily to find and semblance of consistency under Lindy Ruff. Could it just be the players? It could be. I would be more inclined to feel that way if the same problems didn't seem to run consistently throughout the forward ranks.

You can even see similar problems in the defensive ranks. Sekera and Butler are currently taking turns in the press box. Lydman, Rivet and Montador have been train wrecks. The only blue-liners with any consistency to their game have been Myers and Tallinder. I could easily attribute that to the effect Myers is having on Tallinder's game and Myers not yet feeling the Lindy Ruff influence on his game. I remember when Sekera and Butler first came up and how fans were really excited about these guys and how they played. It seems the longer they play under Lindy Ruff the less effective they seem to be. Reminds me a lot of Kalinin.

taking the 4 1st rounders would have been terrible. you want 4 mystery draft pick who'll play wat off in the future for a star now? How dumb is that. He needs to play with a far better play maker as he scores goals that require a guy with exceptional passing ability. Try getting the guy a centermen.

I've been saying that all year a elite level center will propell his game back to 40+ goals a year

If Vanek was the "Top Priority" going into that off-season how could Regier allow the Oilers GM negotiate his contract?

That was Vanek. He was intent on cashing out and the only way to do that was to talk to other teams. It was reported several times that week that Vanek wasn't talking to Buffalo at all.

So, anyone know what the Sabres qualifying offer was to Vanek?

It was the absolute minimum required. QOs are just a formality to retain their rights and the teams never do anything extra with them.

Archived