Vanek deal

PotentPowerPlay22

I'm sure first you misspoke as you must know that their scoring went up between 05/06 and 06/07.

After that, the rest went over your head, the only drop off in scoring since 07 has been special team goals. In the last three years the Sabres' 5 on 5 scoring has been

07/08 162

08/09 154

09/10 154(on pace for)

We all know what accounted for their drop off between 05/06 and 06/07.

OH LORD

I didn't misspeak, you didn't comprehend.....LEAGUE SCORING

Ok, get it?

LOL

After that, the rest went over your head, the only drop off in scoring since 07 has been special team goals. In the last three years the Sabres' 5 on 5 scoring has been

Are you all there?

I just got done saying that the significant drop occurred between 2005-2006 & 2006-2007

Now you're telling me the only significant drop off occurred before 2007?

Do you read much?

You're making a post here trying to tell me what I just got done teaching you!

OH LORD

I didn't misspeak, you didn't comprehend.....LEAGUE SCORING

Ok, get it?

LOL

Are you all there?

I just got done saying that the significant drop occurred between 2005-2006 & 2006-2007

Now you're telling me the only significant drop off occurred before 2007?

Do you read much?

You're making a post here trying to tell me what I just got done teaching you!

You have yet to teach me anything, no matter what your sig name is. First you rant for a few days that the team needs more depth scoring, then when you realize that's wrong you join the top 6 is the problem rant. The real problem, of course, is that they have no top 2 which eventually, I'm sure, you'll get to

07/08 162

08/09 154

09/10 154(on pace for)

Is 06/07 now out of the equation in some sort of failed cherry picking attempt?

How does listing 5 on 5 goals since 07/08 mitigate the drop off in Sabres scoring since 06/07?

No we don't , so why don't you tell us.

You can start by showing us this drop off, because it never took place.

Again it is STILL not penetrating.

THERE WAS NO DROP OFF FOR THE SABRES BETWEEN 05/06 & 06/07

Remember when I told you my post went over your head.

Anyone reading this post of yours SHOULD see why.

I went to the trouble to inform you that the Sabres biggest year in scoring post lockout was in 06/07 not 05/06.

FOR REVIEW:

I explained to you that the Sabres biggest scoring year post lockout was in 06/07

You brushed it off.

I explained that it went over your head.

I then spoon feed to you the significance of my post, explaining again that 06/07 was their biggest post lockout year, occuring after the big drop off in league scoring

Now you're telling me we know what accounted for the drop off in Sabres scoring between 05/06 & 06/07 which never happened!

If you had listened to what I tried to tell you wouldn't be bumbling around like this

You have yet to teach me anything, no matter what your sig name is. First you rant for a few days that the team needs more depth scoring, then when you realize that's wrong you join the top 6 is the problem rant. The real problem, of course, is that they have no top 2 which eventually, I'm sure, you'll get to

When did I realize that I was wrong?

You're delusional.

You're bumbling around with all kinds of imaginary occurrences related to what took place post lockout and now you want to redirect the conversation to these fabrications.

Try to stay with one topic at a time.

If you get embarrassed by making a huge gaff as you have been for the last several posts then suck it up and say "I stand corrected" so we can move on.

At that point we will go to other topics if those topics make any sense.

I would have taken the 4 first round draft picks, and for several reasons.

1. The possibility to package these picks in a larger package to get the first overall, HELLO Stamkos or Kane. WIN!

2. Actually retaining 2 picks in the first rd for 4 years and the Sabres most certainly would have had an even worse record the last 2. HELLO Top 10 for atleast 2 or maybe even 3 seasons.

So what would we have potentially come out with? A rebuilt line 1 with young, hard core talent, that is, if Darcy had the balls to put a deal on the table for the first overall. Giving up potentially one 1st rounder in the top 10 and a roster player or another 1st rounder the following season is well worth the price of a Kane or Stamkos.

Also, having the degressed record could have landed multiple choices to match that talent.

I think overall, the signing of Vanek was a mistake from a strategic standpoint by management for a rebuild.

But I also must confess, I don't mind that they kepy Vanek, to many what ifs and other variables involved.

I agree with this poster except for the keeping Vanek part. It's too bad the vast majority of the posters didn't respond to the main question. Would you have taken the package from Edmonton?

I would have done so instantly. The management only compounded their mistakes from the previous year by signing Vanek to the obscene offer.

What does the deal look like now with the benefit of hindsight? They say you can only judge the deal at a later date. I think history to this point has proven the Sabres blew it.

Would you trade a mid-level forward (Vanek) making $7 million per year for FOUR 1st round draft picks?

YES!! I said so then and I think to any objective observer around the league the answer would be YES!!!

A couple other points:

Why do some people think the Zubrus deal was good? How did the Sabres going nowhere justify that deal? They gave up a 1st round pick and Novotny (another former 1st round pick). Two first rounders for a rental? Pure genius!

Even if Edmonton improved with Vanek he would not have been a difference maker just like he isn't a differnce maker in Buffalo. The deal would still have been hugely in favor of Buffalo by taking the picks and freeing up the salary cap space for free agent signings.

My only hesitation with getting the draft picks is that Regier has a pretty poor record of drafting in round 1.

1998 Kalinin 1999 Heisten 2000 Kryukov 2001 Novotny 2002 Ballard and Paille 2003 Vanek 2004 Stafford 2005 Zagrapan 2006 Persson 2007 no pick-traded to WAS for Zubrus 2008 Myers Ennis 2009 Kassian

There are a couple good picks there, but there are more in the colossal error department.

Is 06/07 now out of the equation in some sort of failed cherry picking attempt?

How does listing 5 on 5 goals since 07/08 mitigate the drop off in Sabres scoring since 06/07?

No we don't , so why don't you tell us.

You can start by showing us this drop off, because it never took place.

Again it is STILL not penetrating.

THERE WAS NO DROP OFF FOR THE SABRES BETWEEN 05/06 & 06/07

Remember when I told you my post went over your head.

Anyone reading this post of yours SHOULD see why.

I went to the trouble to inform you that the Sabres biggest year in scoring post lockout was in 06/07 not 05/06.

FOR REVIEW:

I explained to you that the Sabres biggest scoring year post lockout was in 06/07

You brushed it off.

I explained that it went over your head.

I then spoon feed to you the significance of my post, explaining again that 06/07 was their biggest post lockout year, occuring after the big drop off in league scoring

Now you're telling me we know what accounted for the drop off in Sabres scoring between 05/06 & 06/07 which never happened!

If you had listened to what I tried to tell you wouldn't be bumbling around like this

This individual reminds me far too much of The Brain / The Whale / The-Whatever-He-Wants-To-Call-Himself troll that was banned a few times a while back.

This individual reminds me far too much of The Brain / The Whale / The-Whatever-He-Wants-To-Call-Himself troll that was banned a few times a while back.

Is that the extent of what you have for hockey knowledge?

No wonder you're known as a dork.

I agree with this poster except for the keeping Vanek part. It's too bad the vast majority of the posters didn't respond to the main question. Would you have taken the package from Edmonton?

I would have done so instantly. The management only compounded their mistakes from the previous year by signing Vanek to the obscene offer.

What does the deal look like now with the benefit of hindsight? They say you can only judge the deal at a later date. I think history to this point has proven the Sabres blew it.

I agree 100%.

They botched that Vanek deal worse then the Drury and Breire decisions combined.

Why do some people think the Zubrus deal was good? How did the Sabres going nowhere justify that deal? They gave up a 1st round pick and Novotny (another former 1st round pick). Two first rounders for a rental? Pure genius!

Sabres fans are suckers and total saps when it comes to being sold on anything nebulous and intangible.

If you tell them that a couple of body checks from Zubrus made him "the best forward for the Sabres in the Ranger series " they'll start contructing a thesis of bullsh*t to support it.

If you tell them today that Grier is good in the locker room, tomorrow they're telling you what goes on in there and how it effect players.

It's like the emperor's new clothes, they see them every time without fail.

Is that the extent of what you have for hockey knowledge?

You'll notice there was no mention of hockey in my posting - simply an observation of your apparent inability to engage in respectful discourse with individuals on this board. I have no interest in communicating with someone whose responses primarily involve insulting the intelligence of others.

You'll notice there was no mention of hockey in my posting - simply an observation of your apparent inability to engage in respectful discourse with individuals on this board. I have no interest in communicating with someone whose responses primarily involve insulting the intelligence of others.

And this is why you bothered to snivel out that whiney post of yours?

Because you have no interest in communicating you communicated.

That makes sense kid, talk to me when you outgrow your childish sniveling.

I agree 100%.

They botched that Vanek deal worse then the Drury and Breire decisions combined.

Sabres fans are suckers and total saps when it comes to being sold on anything nebulous and intangible.

If you tell them that a couple of body checks from Zubrus made him "the best forward for the Sabres in the Ranger series " they'll start contructing a thesis of bullsh*t to support it.

If you tell them Grier today that is good in the locker room, tomorrow they're telling you what goes on in there and how it effect players.

It's like the emperor's new clothes, they see them every time without fail.

I like hockey.

Some fans can't enjoy their team no matter how excellent they are. Some fans can't appreciate the Sabres front office no matter how smart time proves them to be. Some fans will never be happy, barring a lossless season where they also sweep for the Cup and somehow acquire extra first round picks for the upcoming draft.

Now I recall why I don't come here very often anymore.

Right on the nut!!! Misery loves company...

I have been a Sabres fan since they came into the NHL in 70-71. I have not always agreed with who was the coach or whose in the front office, what players we have, could of had etc etc etc. I am a hockey fan 1st and have enjoyed a lot of GOOD hockey over the years. We could be like Winnipeg, Quebec, Hartford and not have a team at all. Wonder what all these nay saying wanna be band wagon fans would do then. Actually I really don't care!

Go Sabres!!!

Some fans can't enjoy their team no matter how excellent they are. Some fans can't appreciate the Sabres front office no matter how smart time proves them to be. Some fans will never be happy, barring a lossless season where they also sweep for the Cup and somehow acquire extra first round picks for the upcoming draft.

Now I recall why I don't come here very often anymore.

So if you never criticize the Sabres as you claim because you believe they should always be cheered just for being here then how do you accumulate 170+ posts?

What do you post?

Are they all like...the Sabres are great, go sabres, or I like the new uniforms?

If you watch the Sabres lose 9 in a row to Ottawa what is your reaction?

Is it...oh darn it, they played good maybe next time, go Sabres?

This might surprise you...there is nothing socially redeeming in blind loyalty to the Sabres.

Not one single thing, and you'll get zero points for it on judgment day.

It's no more socially redeeming then being objective or even being cynical.

No better in any way.

In fact few things are worse than surrendering thought, to sit and cheer unconditionally is mindless unless one of your friends or family is on the ice.

Opinion is what makes professional sports, it couldn't exist without it.

Not everyone here is looking to whip out there "hockey knowledge" and compare it to other posters.

There's a pattern developing with these same type of play on words you post, your mind always seems to be focused on that particular part of the male anatomy.

How many people still think signing Vanek by matching Edmonton's offer sheet was a smart move?

Who says his replacement would've been any better?

I still believe the Sabres should have taken the four 1st round picks and saved the $50 million in salary. There would be a good chance that the Sabres would have the number one overall pick in this year's draft even if the Oilers had Vanek.

We have enough rookies on this team, we need experience and we need it fast. Still wish we could've grabbed Lecalvier when we had the chance, it's a damn shame we didn't.

BTW, how is that acquisition of Raffi Torres for a 2nd rounder looking at this point? Is it going to work out better than previous rentals Dominic Moore and Dainus Zubrus?

"Raffi" just got on this team, give him another year to adjust. You can't expect someone to hop into a brand new team full of people he doesn't know, and hasn't previously worked with to be amazing.

Who is responsible: Regier or Quinn?

Quinn throws his two cents in, since he's the Financial Wizard (and avid stockholder) of the team. Regier officializes the actions, personally I'd say Regier would be responsible. Vanek isn't terrible, just the Sabres lack Veteranship, skill, a decent captain, and motivation. However locking the playoffs is a good morale boost, hopefully it carries a bit longer to help us out.

So if you never criticize the Sabres as you claim

Where did I claim that? Why would I? And more importantly, why would you put words in my mouth?

because you believe they should always be cheered just for being here

Is this how you hold every argument? Put a bunch of words into the other's mouth and then frame an argument around it? Wow.

What do you post?

Are they all like...the Sabres are great, go sabres, or I like the new uniforms?

Well, if you're that curious, you could always *look for yourself*

If you watch the Sabres lose 9 in a row to Ottawa what is your reaction?

I was pissed off. I hate the way they play vs Ottawa lately and I think they're often too cute at home when they should forget about making impressive plays and just play the system because *Lindy's system works*. But my post wasn't about the Ottawa game or any particular game. It was about the reaction of many fans to the Sabres, no matter how they are doing on the ice.

This might surprise you...there is nothing socially redeeming in blind loyalty to the Sabres.

Not one single thing, and you'll get zero points for it on judgment day.

It's no more socially redeeming then being objective or even being cynical.

Normally I wouldn't bother responding to such an ambitious failure of a paragraph, but I just have to say...if you ever find yourself agreeing with something that I say on this forum (if you can understand it without inserting your own assumptions) then please stay off my side, would you? Thanks in advance.

Archived