Marc Savard knocked out/ Bruins don't react

tom webster

Matt Cooke sends Savard off the ice on a stretcher. Lucic is one of Bruins on the ice. Cooke takes at least 3 shifts afterward. No one touches him.

Now I know that there are a host of reasons why, but the point is that the usual suspects would have filled up 3 pages on the lack of spine of our beloved Sabres. My point is it happens all over the NHL. I wish it didn't but it does.

I have'nt seen the hit but Cookes known for jumping or at least straddling that fine line that others such as Ovi and our own Kaleta frequent.Take out the instigator rule and let the players sort it out.The weasels of this league would clean up their act soon enough.That being said,having not seen the hit I can't really judge.Anyone have a link?

Just saw the hit on t.s.n,that was clearly shoulder to head on the blindside.Headhunting no question.Cooke claims it was shoulder to shoulder.Reminded me of Neil on Drury.Same kind of cheap b.s. hit.Carter on Booth was similar.

Just saw the hit on t.s.n,that was clearly shoulder to head on the blindside.Headhunting no question.Cooke claims it was shoulder to shoulder.Reminded me of Neil on Drury.Same kind of cheap b.s. hit.Carter on Booth was similar.

But legal by the book until the NHL gets their heads out of their ######.

Another great example of why they need to change the rules. As they currently stand there was nothing illegal about that hit, but I think Cooke's intent is pretty obvious.

+1 on all counts. No place for this ###### in the game. Sadly there are a bunch of fricking dinosaurs running things who see nothing wrong with this.

Methinks, the fans throughout the NHL should start a petition demanding stricter enforcement and/or

a change in the rule set to protect unsuspecting players like Savard from playing on the same surface

with aptitude and skill deniers.

And I hear you that the NHL should get their heads out of their....Colon and Buttman. Or, we can start a petition if that doesn't work to send these two to an uninhabited planet where they can do no more harm!

The NHL really needs to do something about this and it's funny but tomorrow the NHL meetings start in Florida, and the NHL has even formed a 8-panal group of what it calls some of their best GMs (and yes, Darcy Regier is one of the 8) including Brian Burke, Lou, Ken Holland.... and they will talk about head shots. Not to defend Matt Cooke at all, because i think that was beyond dirty play by him, but, on the previous shift, he was cheap shot at center ice, also a elbow to the head, i didn't see who did it, Cooke went down but did get up. If he doesn't get up, we may as well be talking about the Pitt player being dirty, yet, nobody in the media even cares about that play. It's only when players stay down that the league takes note. In my personal opinion, that is BS.

that hit is complete and total garbage -- and is also (arguably) legal as things now stand.

i continue to believe that someone is going to need to be maimed or killed in order for the league to address this issue.

god willing, the league will do something in what are apparently an upcoming round of gm meetings.

fwiw, this was nastier than neil's hit on drury -- cook button-hooked his way into being in a position to blindside savard's head.

Bruins Update on Marc Savard

Sunday, 03.07.2010 / 6:37 PM / News Boston Bruins Marc lost consciousness briefly on the ice after being struck in the head. He suffered a concussion from the hit. He was not transported to a hospital, but will remain at the team hotel in Pittsburgh with a member of the Bruins' medical staff tonight as a precaution.

No further update on Marc's condition is expected tonight.

- How many times a year does this have to happen before the owners, the rules committee and the NHLPA decides it is a bad thing for hockey.

- I know hockey is a physical game, but it is disgusting how little respect some players have for their opponents.

- The NHL needs to do something ASAP about these types of hits and I don't mean in the offseason. They need a memo sent out ala "foot in the crease" circa 1999. <_<

- The NHL needs to start suspending players based on the act, not on the seriousness of the injured player.

- Cooke deserves at least 10 games.

- While they are at it, add no touch icing to the rule book in the offseason.

Wow first time I saw that. I can't believe their are still people saying "get your head up" it's just hockey.

Since it's the league darlings; the Pens I am curious what kind of punishment comes out. All hit's to the head are to be reviewed by the league and they should see some intent to injure here.

We get to see if they are really concerned with taking a stand with the league meetings starting today and this one of the topics of discussion.

Wow first time I saw that. I can't believe their are still people saying "get your head up" it's just hockey.

Since it's the league darlings; the Pens I am curious what kind of punishment comes out. All hit's to the head are to be reviewed by the league and they should see some intent to injure here.

We get to see if they are really concerned with taking a stand with the league meetings starting today and this one of the topics of discussion.

The refs talked to Crosby to get his opinion and now they'll pass that on to the league office.

That's one of the worst of the worst. The league will surprise some people by suspending him for six or eight games or something, but it will accomplish nothing. I say hit the coach with the suspension, or a very hefty fine, or fine the owner a million -- it might take care of the problem in a hurry. I like an idea I heard on WGR this morning -- automatic 10-minute penalty for a blow to the head, to be served in its entirety.

Wow, that hit is bad. We've debated many hits where we have to split hairs, and go into semantics, and go frame by frame -- that is so blatant.

Wow. A filthy, disgusting HEAD HUNTING hit.

I wish these announcers would at least grow a sack and call it for what it was.

If a hit like that occurred in the HSBC, you can bet RJ would be up in arms about it.

You talking about the Pens broadcast? The pbp man called it for what it was -- a blow to the head. They talked about the league meetings coming up. Yeah, the conversation was weak and watered down -- what do you expect from the offending side -- but at least they had it.

Rick? Are you serious? If a Sabre lays that hit, the announcers shut up, they softly go to commercial and come back to talk about Aces and Blades.

I like an idea I heard on WGR this morning -- automatic 10-minute penalty for a blow to the head, to be served in its entirety.

I think that's what they do in International competition. Right?

Archived