Marc Savard knocked out/ Bruins don't react

tom webster

GM's have "put forth a recommendation".

A lateral, back pressure or blindside hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

A violation of the above will result in a minor or major penalty and shall be reviewed for possible supplemental discipline.

The recommendation will be forwarded to the NHL and NHLPA competition committee and then to the NHL Board of Governors for final approval before it is passed.

Wow. Way to go out on the limb there, GM's.

Wow. Way to go out on the limb there, GM's.

"Principal point of contact". Hmmm.

So this means a hit like Cooke's would be a PPOC? So, if the player takes the body first but plasters their shoulder into the guys head after it's okay? You can steamroll over a guy as long as you hit more parts of the body besides just the head? I'd think the latter is what they're getting at.

mrjsbu, what percentage of this hit was a check designed to prevent a scoring chance or cause a turnover, and what percentage of it was designed to take an opponent out of the game?

And that link to the hit on Elias, jump or not, there is a clear upward direction in the hit. That kind of hit is purely intended to take the player out completely. It's not exactly rocket science. If you hit with an upward trajectory, you are far more likely to make contact higher on the opposing player's body. What is higher on their body? That's right, their head.

And that link to the hit on Elias, jump or not, there is a clear upward direction in the hit. That kind of hit is purely intended to take the player out completely. It's not exactly rocket science. If you hit with an upward trajectory, you are far more likely to make contact higher on the opposing player's body. What is higher on their body? That's right, their head.

Exactly. Which is why I'd penalize any hit where the hitter is off the ice at any point.

Exactly. Which is why I'd penalize any hit where the hitter is off the ice at any point.

That's too tough to police. Imagine two cars in ######, one rear ends the other. The car that hits the other, with enough force, will have the back tires leave the ground. It's momentum, when the energy has no straight path to release itself it will find the least resistant path. Which, in some cases, is up.

That's too tough to police. Imagine two cars in ######, one rear ends the other. The car that hits the other, with enough force, will have the back tires leave the ground. It's momentum, when the energy has no straight path to release itself it will find the least resistant path. Which, in some cases, is up.

I just went schwing. Type some more. NOW.

Wait... two cars in what?

From the OHL rule book. In plain English. Refreshing.

Rule 44B – Checking to the Head

44B.1 Checking to the Head - The act of checking an opponent to the head in any manner.

44B.2 Minor Penalty – A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who checks an opponent to the head area.

44B.3 Major plus Game Misconduct Penalty – At the discretion of the referee and based on the degree of impact a major penalty and a game misconduct can be assessed any player who checks an opponent to the head area.

44B.4 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be assessed to any player who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by checking to the head area.

Note: A hit to the head with a shoulder shall be considered an illegal check and shall be penalized as checking to the head.

From the OHL rule book. In plain English. Refreshing.

Rule 44B – Checking to the Head

44B.1 Checking to the Head - The act of checking an opponent to the head in any manner.

44B.2 Minor Penalty – A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who checks an opponent to the head area.

44B.3 Major plus Game Misconduct Penalty – At the discretion of the referee and based on the degree of impact a major penalty and a game misconduct can be assessed any player who checks an opponent to the head area.

44B.4 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be assessed to any player who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by checking to the head area.

Note: A hit to the head with a shoulder shall be considered an illegal check and shall be penalized as checking to the head.

Unfortunately, the NHL is deathly afraid of having to send Mr. Chara to the penalty box for every time he gets his elbow pads stuck in somebody's forehead. There was little possibility the league would go as far as the O did in clarifying what is punishable.

As non-specific as the proposed rule sounds, it does actually have the potential to take some of (a lot of?) the head shots out of the game. Considering what the league's position has been, I'll take the baby steps and hope they actually approve it and enforce it in a reasonable manner.

Maybe not in this case. But these guys are so fast and so strong, that they can deliver a lot more violence with a much shorter runup than the pasty doughboys who played the game when that rule was written. As Darcy pointed out on NHL Radio on Monday, while the old-timers will point out how big and strong and tough and nasty and disrespectful they were, there really is no comparison to today.

in same measure, i do agree with you, but between how strong and fast the game is played now, i think it is going to be so tough to enforce/interpret.

did you think scott stevens had a goal of consussing lindros everytime he hit him? i don't know if he did, but to you point earlier, it was probably part designed to take the puck off his stick/make him think twice about crossing the middle.

i don't agree with the suspension as the injury rule though....and i commend what the GM's recommended today, but again, not to sound like a broken record, but i think player with his head down vs the cooke hit b/c debatable. furthermore, the league has tried to crack down on check from behind (which is about time) and that said, i think many guys turn their back on purpose to draw penalties, despite the vulnerable positon they put themselves in...

in same measure, i do agree with you, but between how strong and fast the game is played now, i think it is going to be so tough to enforce/interpret.

did you think scott stevens had a goal of consussing lindros everytime he hit him? i don't know if he did, but to you point earlier, it was probably part designed to take the puck off his stick/make him think twice about crossing the middle.

i don't agree with the suspension as the injury rule though....and i commend what the GM's recommended today, but again, not to sound like a broken record, but i think player with his head down vs the cooke hit b/c debatable. furthermore, the league has tried to crack down on check from behind (which is about time) and that said, i think many guys turn their back on purpose to draw penalties, despite the vulnerable positon they put themselves in...

I was going to jump on your last point, that this rule could lead to players trying to draw a penalty. It doesn't seem like it would. But then I realized this is a hockey culture where players will willingly stand a few feet from the boards, turn their backs and invite a headlong dive into the wall, risking permanent paralysis every time. So yeah it could happen.

Question -- now that the league has, according to Coli, shifted only SOME of the responsibility for these hits to the hitter, will a player still be "fair game" for hits from the front, if his head is down? To some extent, everyone skates with his head down. No one skates at their full height. So if you see it coming, it's your fault if someone plants a shoulder, forearm or tucked elbow into the side of your head?

I was going to jump on your last point, that this rule could lead to players trying to draw a penalty. It doesn't seem like it would. But then I realized this is a hockey culture where players will willingly stand a few feet from the boards, turn their backs and invite a headlong dive into the wall, risking permanent paralysis every time. So yeah it could happen.

Question -- now that the league has, according to Coli, shifted only SOME of the responsibility for these hits to the hitter, will a player still be "fair game" for hits from the front, if his head is down? To some extent, everyone skates with his head down. No one skates at their full height. So if you see it coming, it's your fault if someone plants a shoulder, forearm or tucked elbow into the side of your head?

Yes.

Isn't this why we love hockey? To watch players make beautiful, elegant moves amidst utter chaos and violence?

Yes.

Isn't this why we love hockey? To watch players make beautiful, elegant moves amidst utter chaos and violence?

It's not why I love hockey. Sorry.

Just watched Cooke's hit on Anisimov for which he was suspended two games. What am I missing? How is that suspendable, but the Savard hit isn't? What happened to reputation being a criteria for suspension?

I can't find video of the other hit he got suspended for this season.

I just don't get it.

The revenge talk is starting to heat up in the media in regards to players ,bruins management and bruins fans.The same rhetoric took place in the Bertuzzi Moore affair.It'll be interesting to see how the league handles this cluster #%$& come gametime when these teams meet again.The league almost deserves an incident of some discription due to their mismanagement of this situation.

Here comes the memo. Everyone pay attention, please!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521669

Interesting.

I wonder what exactly it was about the Cooke-Savard hit that brought us to the tipping point on the league being determined to provide more than lip service to this issue? We've seen similar hits with no huge outcry from within the league offices before, including several earlier this year. I'm definitely not complaining about it, I've been on record as being in favor of such a measure, I'm just curious as to what else is there behind the scenes that we don't know about. Is there a pending lawsuit we don't know about, does Jacobs have that much pull (and did he only just now come on board and not last year w/ the Bergeron hit), did Bettman/Colie finally see the light, alien abduction? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

Interesting.

I wonder what exactly it was about the Cooke-Savard hit that brought us to the tipping point on the league being determined to provide more than lip service to this issue? We've seen similar hits with no huge outcry from within the league offices before, including several earlier this year. I'm definitely not complaining about it, I've been on record as being in favor of such a measure, I'm just curious as to what else is there behind the scenes that we don't know about. Is there a pending lawsuit we don't know about, does Jacobs have that much pull (and did he only just now come on board and not last year w/ the Bergeron hit), did Bettman/Colie finally see the light, alien abduction? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

It could be one of those reasons or maybe the number and severity of these sort of hits seems to be increasing as time goes on. I think the backlash in the media and by the fans has reached critical mass. Or maybe because the league is trying to clean up the game so ESPN will offer a contract. Maybe it is alien abduction :ph34r:

Archived