Revisiting the atmosphere in the arena

PASabreFan

FWIW:

Ryan Kennedy, a fellow THN staffer and generally good guy, and I make a trip (or two) to Buffalo every year to take in a Sabres game and collect quotes and info for various stories.

During our last trip – as Kennedy detailed in his roundup column – the energy in HSBC Arena, which was so rampant and almost palatable in seasons past and made taking in a Sabres game such a special experience, had dropped like Max Afinogenov’s 2008-09 production.

It wasn’t just a one-game anomaly, either. THN correspondent John Vogl suggested in his Jan. 11 issue team report that a distance has been created between the team and the fans as a result of free agents leaving town coupled with disappointing on-ice results.

“The arena, though near capacity, is often lifeless,” Vogl wrote. “There are just as many doubters as diehards. The Sabres must inspire their fans again.”

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/30934-THNcom-Blog-Get-excited-Sabres-fans.html

I have no opinion on this except to say that it is 9:36 on a Thursday night and the Complaint Thursdays thread is still locked and closed.

We now rejoin the arena crowd noise debate, already (still?) in progress.

I've been to four games this year in Buffalo, 1 in DC and 1 in Dallas. One of those games included opening night against Montreal. Folks want to pretend that the crowds are loud. But after you go to one Caps game, then compare it to a Sabres game, you see the difference. Dallas was on par with Buffalo.

I don't buy the mic argument. You can ALWAYS here the refs/benches telling how much time is left in the penalty. The crowds are loud, but not 2005-2006 loud. There was no buzz in the crowd like I experienced in DC.

I've been to four games this year in Buffalo, 1 in DC and 1 in Dallas.

The crowds are loud, but not 2005-2006 loud. There was no buzz in the crowd like I experienced in DC.

i've had the same opportunity to compare and contrast d.c. with buffalo and will agree. but it doesn't overly-concern me, really. what's going on in d.c. is good/great for hockey -- they have a generational talent surrounded by a very good supporting cast -- and the mo' for hockey is building down in that swamp that traded malaria for politics. fair play to them.

the last ~5-6 times i've been to the arena, i've been accompanied by 1 of 2 friends with whom (1) i used to go with to sabres home games both pre- and post-lockout and (ii) who attend games in other nhl arenas from time to time. both of those guys remarked to me this year and last that the arena was lacking its usual buzz -- and it wasn't as though we were at a florida game on a tuesday night -- these were party night games and/or against traditional opponents. while notable exceptions exist -- there was that sharks game following the tragedy of flight 3407 -- the arena is generally flatter than it has been in eras past.

a nice little playoff run would go a long way toward getting the buzz back in the building.

I blame the people who can afford the tickets. Which are families, with children. Who sit quietly with their hands in their laps and give me rude looks every time I start cheering.

There are too many snobs at these games, and not enough fans willing to let it all out.

I blame the people who can afford the tickets. Which are families, with children. Who sit quietly with their hands in their laps and give me rude looks every time I start cheering.

There are too many snobs at these games, and not enough fans willing to let it all out.

I can understand some older folks being on the quiet side, but it is downright embarassing when a goal is scored and many people of all ages are either sitting in their seats clapping lightly or not cheering at all. :angry:

I blame the people who can afford the tickets. Which are families, with children.

:unsure:

having 4 of my own, i can say this: the kids are the reason i can't afford tickets anymore.

I blame the people who can afford the tickets. ... Who sit quietly with their hands in their laps and give me rude looks every time I start cheering.

this, however, i agree with entirely.

it is downright embarassing when a goal is scored and many people of all ages are either sitting in their seats clapping lightly or not cheering at all. :angry:

back in the days of the aud and the early years at the arena, i was part of a consortium (that's what we called it) of guys who had season tickets and then other mini-packs, etc. as years went on.

whenever we unloaded a ticket to someone in the group or a friend of a friend, there was ALWAYS a written note that accompanied the ticket that said: "Remember to stand up and cheer when we score."

I've been to four games this year in Buffalo, 1 in DC and 1 in Dallas. One of those games included opening night against Montreal. Folks want to pretend that the crowds are loud. But after you go to one Caps game, then compare it to a Sabres game, you see the difference. Dallas was on par with Buffalo.

I don't buy the mic argument. You can ALWAYS here the refs/benches telling how much time is left in the penalty. The crowds are loud, but not 2005-2006 loud. There was no buzz in the crowd like I experienced in DC.

Is this the same DC where I couldn't give away playoff tix in 1998? (True story. I had 30 of them.) Yay, the bandwagoners have arrived.

I've been in HSBC when it's quiet (Nov. 7 against the Devils comes to mind), and I just don't think the arena is that quiet all the time. Virtually every game I have been to this year has started with a "Let's Go, Buffalo!" chant.

As for the posters who think that there's some snobbery involved, well, I get your point, but it isn't snobbery. Most of the lower bowl really can't afford to act wild on weeknights or even weekends; it's a small city, and there are too many people with business relationships all sitting in that area. Tie one on & go nuts = ###### up your job. But that's nothing new; that was the case in 2007, too.

(EDIT: the ##### word is "s c r e w," for crying out loud!

I've never really understood why it matters. The only thing people can really say is that it makes for a better home ice advantage. I don't think that means all that much anymore. With these state of the art arenas and standardized rink dimensions, home ice isn't what it used to be. Only the most outrageous amounts of noise will distract anyone anymore.

Some people want to relax and enjoy the game while there, others want to let loose and make some noise. There's nothing wrong with either side. Personally, with the mostly college games I go to and the occasional NHL game, I tend to be more towards that quiet side, with the occasional outburst, depending on the mood that day. What I find insulting is when some people try to claim that they are better fans because they act a certain way. Even if I don't want to paint my face or participate in overused chants (not really an issue in Buffalo), I'm still as much of a fan as those people. There is no good measure of someone's fandom, well, as long as they watch/listen to games or follow the results. Each person has different responsibilities and resources.

I've never really understood why it matters. The only thing people can really say is that it makes for a better home ice advantage. I don't think that means all that much anymore. With these state of the art arenas and standardized rink dimensions, home ice isn't what it used to be. Only the most outrageous amounts of noise will distract anyone anymore.

Some people want to relax and enjoy the game while there, others want to let loose and make some noise. There's nothing wrong with either side. Personally, with the mostly college games I go to and the occasional NHL game, I tend to be more towards that quiet side, with the occasional outburst, depending on the mood that day. What I find insulting is when some people try to claim that they are better fans because they act a certain way. Even if I don't want to paint my face or participate in overused chants (not really an issue in Buffalo), I'm still as much of a fan as those people. There is no good measure of someone's fandom, well, as long as they watch/listen to games or follow the results. Each person has different responsibilities and resources.

But you gotta support the team!

Is this the same DC where I couldn't give away playoff tix in 1998? (True story. I had 30 of them.) Yay, the bandwagoners have arrived.

I've been in HSBC when it's quiet (Nov. 7 against the Devils comes to mind), and I just don't think the arena is that quiet all the time. Virtually every game I have been to this year has started with a "Let's Go, Buffalo!" chant.

As for the posters who think that there's some snobbery involved, well, I get your point, but it isn't snobbery. Most of the lower bowl really can't afford to act wild on weeknights or even weekends; it's a small city, and there are too many people with business relationships all sitting in that area. Tie one on & go nuts = ###### up your job. But that's nothing new; that was the case in 2007, too.

(EDIT: the ##### word is "s c r e w," for crying out loud!

SS, where you can't ###### in a lightbulb or enjoy a ###### driver over at ETC's joint (or TW's) or bend Barbara Walters over and ###### her in the #######. What is this board coming to!

SS, where you can't ###### in a lightbulb or enjoy a ###### driver over at ETC's joint (or TW's) or bend Barbara Walters over and ###### her in the #######. What is this board coming to!

You are on fire! :lol: Barbara Walters of all the possible choices? :lol:

SS, where you can't ###### in a lightbulb or enjoy a ###### driver over at ETC's joint (or TW's) or bend Barbara Walters Diane Sawyer over and ###### her in the #######. What is this board coming to!

Corrected :thumbsup:

BTW, part of the reason for the hush in HSBC is the style of play; no end-to-end rushes, not a lot of hitting...just boring, defensive hockey. The only cheers come after a miraculous save by Miller. When it gets closer to the playoffs, the volume will get pumped up. If they win a round, it will go higher.

Archived