Harry Neale needs to go away...

LabattBlue

Please put this guy out to pasture. He repeats the same thing about Miller having the quickest feet/legs in the NHL, game after game after game. :doh:

While he has grown on me ever so slightly, his stating of the extrememly obvious and not to mention his repetition of the same points game in and game out, are a bit tiresome.

I thought Ray was pretty good too last night. Probably the future in the booth. Still hope it's not alongside KS, unless KS can continue to deliver the goods in the form of 7-2 wins. Funny thought -- what if Ray was amazing at play by play? Hey, you never know. Give him a shot! Lorentz, unexpectedly, was excellent at it.

I thought Ray was pretty good too last night. Probably the future in the booth. Still hope it's not alongside KS, unless KS can continue to deliver the goods in the form of 7-2 wins. Funny thought -- what if Ray was amazing at play by play? Hey, you never know. Give him a shot! Lorentz, unexpectedly, was excellent at it.

I agree that KS did a great job last night. For only his second game (I think) of the year he did pretty well and at the very least he's improving.

Ray doesn't seem to have the best handle of the english language for that job. His vocabulary seems limited and he stumbles over words a lot. Sure, that could change over time, but I don't expect it to.

Ray doesn't seem to have the best handle of the english language for that job. His vocabulary seems limited and he stumbles over words a lot. Sure, that could change over time, but I don't expect it to.

Razor calling the game on a few too many beers would be hilarious.

The average hockey fan in Buffalo isn't going to care about that at all. What he has to work on more is actually saying more insightful things, instead of offering up cliches. Then again, Roby has made a broadcasting career doing that.

He has an annoying habit of declaring Buffalo the winner while there is still a lot of game to play, or crediting Miller with the shut-out in the second period. I'll never forget his call on the Zednik injury...just awful.

I agree I'd like to see Ray get the chance.

The worst thing he ever said in his Sabre career was that Craig Rivet was so fired up about tying the San Jose game in Buffalo last February because he used to play for the Sharks. An absolute tin ear -- and tin soul.

He has an annoying habit of declaring Buffalo the winner while there is still a lot of game to play...

UGGGGGHHHH! He sucks at this! No, actually he's very good at it. I've never heard a team's paid announcer so willingly jinx them on EVERY occasion he can.

"Well it looks like this one's in the books" - Harry Neale

(inkman nervously looking at the screen while the Sabres are clinging to a 2 goal lead with 7 minutes to play)

Too many fights and hits to the head.

That being said, I love him where he is and maybe he can get a bigger role from down there. He is insightful and more in-tune with what's going on at ice level. And is far far more outspoken and non-PC when the team puts out crap product on the ice.

The average hockey fan in Buffalo isn't going to care about that at all. What he has to work on more is actually saying more insightful things, instead of offering up cliches. Then again, Roby has made a broadcasting career doing that.

It might be fine for tv, but we also have the radio broadcasts to keep in mind. This team is not going to spend the extra money to have a separate radio team, so speaking ability of the play by play guy is very important there.

I think it would be easy to find some good young talent to do play by play. I actually would like to see WGR's Koziol get a shot at it as I think he has the right voice for it.

I also like Ray doing color, even if it's just because he's kind of a goof.

It might be fine for tv, but we also have the radio broadcasts to keep in mind. This team is not going to spend the extra money to have a separate radio team, so speaking ability of the play by play guy is very important there.

I agree and I think that's why KS is so good right now because he's VERY detailed. He gives you who has the puck, whose forchecking him, whose on the ice during changes and stuff. I was really impressed actually.

With RJ on vacation I decided to do what I normally don't do last night against Phoenix... watch the broadcast of the oppositions network on Center Ice so that I could watch the game in HD (I'm an out-of-towner). While the picture was great (the Slug is awful but the white uniforms look better than the God-awful home ones), the Arizona announcers were BEYOND horrible. I mean, total joke. For anyone that grew up in Western New York, you got used to high-quality NHL broadcasts via Hockey Night in Canada and the crew the Sabres have had since getting a franchise. Trust me, the rest of the USA isn't so lucky. Even good USA hockey towns like Detroit and Boston are terrible compared to what we have in Buffalo. When you go to teams like Phoenix and southern states, the broadcast is designed for an 8 year-old who has never seen hockey before (I believe). A total pathetic joke. Made me realize what a high-quality job KS, Roby, and Razor do especially during intermissions. Anyway, my point is... before you criticize Harry Neale, try listening to some other announcers in this league. Will make you think HN is the best thing ever.

I think Harry is probably one of the smartest hockey guys out there. He seems to really know the game well beyond the average (and above average) fan does. The problem is that he can't relate that well to other people. Then there are the obvious mistakes he makes that often make you scratch your head, but those we'll just have to deal with. All in all, I don't mind Harry all that much.

Anyway, my point is... before you criticize Harry Neale, try listening to some other announcers in this league. Will make you think HN is the best thing ever.

As much as I think Harry Neale is a shell of his former self, B-Lo definately has an above average crew of broadcasters in RJ, Harry, Roby, and Ray (KS is intentionally left off this list because he has a hard time reading the out of town scoreboard, let alone offer his own hockey insight).

Harry could make this an all-star duo if he could reduce the frequent dead air we get when Rick is done talking. Maybe he has a hard time reading Rick, or maybe MSG is slow getting the clip info or stats to him, but it seems that someone with Harry's creds could put forth a better product.

I did notice that Harry was a lot more "active" in the two broadcasts with KS. Maybe he thought he needed to step it up since Rick was out?

I can't really stand Harry. Countless times during a game I find myself saying "Once again, thank you Harry Neale" for stating something extremely obvious. His and RJ's disagreements can be funny though. I recall about 10 or so games into the season Neale was saying Myers was playing well but still needed to prove himself, because we've seen things like this happen before and he could get sent down if he slips up, and Rick straight up just said No, that's not going to happen.

Archived