Trade Target Watch

Calvin

PS He may not be physical, but I'd take Maholtra at 1/3 the salary for the 3rd or 4th line any day of the week over Gaustad. Note to DR...Maholtra is a UFA at the end of the season.

Maholtra was a steal by San Jose.

I said several times this Summer that we should look at Manny Malhotra. Darcy didn't listen.

Also, for the record, I said last year that we should have snagged Jussi Jokinen off of the waiver wire. I hate seeing the guys that I mention (who were both cheap options, by the way) doing very well somewhere else.

:lol:

In the movie script she is always hotter than the girl that is supposed to be hot and John Cussack figures it out 2/3rds in.

It's always freaking Cusak, isn't it?!

Of course, in the movie, the ugly chick looks like a young Catherine Zeta Jones while in real life the ugly chick looks like inkman.

Isn't CZJ usually the evil she wolf trying to prey on poor JC?

But yeah, in reality the uc usually looks like Inky, but w/ a little more facial hair.

Listening to Regier's interview on WGR today really summed up how absurd the argument the Sabres are relying on is - he argues that all 6 of his top forwards are signed for next season and all will continue to improve. As usual, he ignored the fact that only Connolly will end up posting career numbers and, along with Hecht, finish with stats better than last year - his "core" of Vanek, Stafford, Roy and Pominville are all on pace this season for huge drop-offs in production. In the case of Pominville, his goal production has steadily declined for 4 consecutive years. How does any of that represent improvement or cause for optimism that it will happen magically next year?

Yes, Darcy touted the same line that has been the franchise line for 3 seasons now. But I believe this will work itself out once Darcy is fired. The sad thing is, Ruff will end up going with him. I remember having this conversation in another thread, but Ruff isn't really a bad coach, its Darcy's job to bring in the missing pieces to complete the puzzle. I would say Darcy being fired would be cause for celebration for most fans. The question is, will he actually be fired.

Yes, Darcy touted the same line that has been the franchise line for 3 seasons now. But I believe this will work itself out once Darcy is fired. The sad thing is, Ruff will end up going with him. I remember having this conversation in another thread, but Ruff isn't really a bad coach, its Darcy's job to bring in the missing pieces to complete the puzzle. I would say Darcy being fired would be cause for celebration for most fans. The question is, will he actually be fired.

I doubt that Regier goes anywhere as long as Quinn is in power - if for no other reason than to save money. Sabres extended Regier last summer for 2 more years through 2011. Quinn won't eat a year's salary to fire Regier nor will he want to get rid of someone who's such a willing puppet to his authority.

The Sabres' management situation seems more of an interwoven web than any other team, in terms of connectivity:

Ruff won't be let go as long as Regier is the GM.

Regier won't be let go as long as Quinn is the managing partner.

Quinn won't be let go as long as Golisano is the owner.

Realistically, the only way I see management ever being changed is if a change in ownership happens.

Well lets see here. We could very well keep sliding into the olympic break. Regier has a couple weeks, and 4 games before the deadline, to finalize his decisions on this roster. If we keep falling, and Regier does nothing, than the worse case scenario is that the Sabres keep slumping into the playoffs and fall to the 6th/7th seed. This could possibly lead to an early elimination and fall on Regier' head. He could be seen as too passive within the trade market, in Ryan Miller's greatest season. This might be enough to get him fired. Probably not though.

Darcy got a little rattled, and for once I really applaud Schopp and the Bulldog for representing the fans with some tough questions.

He was definitely shook up. As if he couldn't believe his standard rhetoric was being questioned. The point he was trying to make about being "one of the top teams that didn't get Kovy" was a true grasp for a life preserver. Not the best point to make after admitting the Sabres had zero interest in him.

It really is to a point now that every time Larry Quinn or Darcy Regier speaks it just damages their credibility. They might want to lay low for a while. Things are only going to get worse as Ottawa takes over first in the division and the other "contenders" continue to acquire top level talent. Not the Dominic Moores of the NHL.

Darcy got a little rattled, and for once I really applaud Schopp and the Bulldog for representing the fans with some tough questions.

I sensed that too - in part, I think Bulldog's flat-out criticism of Regier's persistence to wait when the team's offensive struggles have been well-known by everyone for some time annoyed him (Bulldog didn't say another thing the rest of the interview). Schopp fumbled in his attempt to argue that Cup winners need a superstar to win when he brought up the Hossa trades the past two years but Schopp did drive home the fan perspective, which he admitted agreement with, that this team is not good enough to win as is and dismissed Regier's claim of the team being a contender.

What is so tiresome is that Regier keeps reverting to the same contrived excuses and disclaimers every year when the same problems arise. The "improve from within" and "there aren't many sellers" arguments were trotted out in the past; mark my words - the next one that we'll all hear him start arguing to the critics that are upset with the team's losing streak is that the time to make deals is "from a position of strength" (meaning, when a team is winning) rather than from a "position of weakness", when other teams sense a team's desperation to end its losing ways and make moves for the sake of change. Yet, in spouting that philosophy, he'll naturally ignore how he didn't make a trade during the team's winning streaks in November/December when the team's scoring deficiencies and PP problems were obvious and acknowledged by Ruff.

I've often thought that Quinn is a big "Seinfeld" fan and fell in love with Costanza's "do the opposite of what common sense tells you" approach. Certainly, in the majority of the decisions made by management, that seems to be exactly what happens. On the rare occasion, the only consolation fans get is to hear a rare admission of fault in hindsight from management (i.e. waiting to offseasons to re-sign/extend players).

Maybe Regier is right not to make any move now because he secretly realizes that this current roster is more than 1 or 2 pieces away from being a legitimate candidate for a championship and there is certainly more benefit to rebuilding a roster in the offseason than there is to do it mid-stream on the fly. But, he shouldn't then flat-out lie by boasting that he thinks this team is a "contender".

Well lets see here. We could very well keep sliding into the olympic break. Regier has a couple weeks, and 4 games before the deadline, to finalize his decisions on this roster. If we keep falling, and Regier does nothing, than the worse case scenario is that the Sabres keep slumping into the playoffs and fall to the 6th/7th seed. This could possibly lead to an early elimination and fall on Regier' head. He could be seen as too passive within the trade market, in Ryan Miller's greatest season. This might be enough to get him fired. Probably not though.

Don't be so sure about that - part of Regier's argument to Schopp & Bulldog, when they expressed the urgency of taking advantage of Miller's performance this year, was that the team's "top 6" are signed through next season. Likewise, he'll point out that Miller is signed for 4 more years and maintain that he can repeat this season's play again next year and the year after that. If the team flounders right to the end, whether trades are made or not, Regier will very likely be able to convince Quinn & Golisano of that same point of view IMO and that next year will be "the year" to make a push. I suspect that Quinn already buys into the same belief (that is, if he didn't already come up with the position in advance for Regier); with both Regier's and Ruff's contracts expiring in 2011, the time to consider any change would be more convenient for the organization then, if at all because they wouldn't be on the hook for any salaries to either man.

On Koivu and Selanne to Buffalo...

I am hearing the Sabres are also very in on Whitney, but I am told the Sabres will make "anywhere from 2-4 moves including trying to pull both Selanne and Koivu out of Anaheim." I expect Sabres fans to think I am crazy here...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Eks-MEGA-Notes-Sunday-Spectacular--The-Final-Week-Before-Deadline-1/1/26120

I am hearing the Sabres are also very in on Whitney, but I am told the Sabres will make "anywhere from 2-4 moves including trying to pull both Selanne and Koivu out of Anaheim." I expect Sabres fans to think I am crazy here...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Eks-MEGA-Notes-Sunday-Spectacular--The-Final-Week-Before-Deadline-1/1/26120

Oh my GOD, Eklund why do you do this to me???? Ek is like the person dangling that chocolate bar in front of you and then pulling it away right when you're a millimeter from grabbing it, and NEVER giving it to you, even after a hundred grabs at it.

I'm serious, I don't remember in four years of following his rumors when even ONE of them about Buffalo has come true.

Maybe someone should send him the Regier WGR interview. Could save the poor sap some server space. :doh:

Don't be so sure about that - part of Regier's argument to Schopp & Bulldog, when they expressed the urgency of taking advantage of Miller's performance this year, was that the team's "top 6" are signed through next season. Likewise, he'll point out that Miller is signed for 4 more years and maintain that he can repeat this season's play again next year and the year after that. If the team flounders right to the end, whether trades are made or not, Regier will very likely be able to convince Quinn & Golisano of that same point of view IMO and that next year will be "the year" to make a push. I suspect that Quinn already buys into the same belief (that is, if he didn't already come up with the position in advance for Regier); with both Regier's and Ruff's contracts expiring in 2011, the time to consider any change would be more convenient for the organization then, if at all because they wouldn't be on the hook for any salaries to either man.

This is a very valid point indeed. And i'm trying very hard not to harp on Darcy too much, even if he has another futile deadline. It is intrigiung to know that most of our core players are locked up beyond next year, and they have yet to completly mature as a group. But many "intangable" players are not. Mike Grier, and Montador are good examples of this. These guys make a difference right now, and bolster the effectivness of the entire team by keeping guys in line through constant focus and leadership. They might not be here for long, and Darcy isn't the type to replace them.

Its a good point for Darcy to make, but it is as equally aggravating. Here we have a team that is 1 or 2 pieces away from domination(and hopfully a cup run), and Regier is still just as passive as usual. The current contracts definetly shape how competitve this team is, and will be. And it is highly logical to have the core mature on their own without outside help. After all, this will show us if they truly have it in them. But at the same time, as a fan, you can only have so much patience.

Next year seems poised to be "the year", but i would like to have a guy brought in here that makes a difference now, someone to strengthen this team come playoff time and into a couple seasons. And not just a rental. We need a guy that will fit in, and help the team grow. Its not up to Ruff to bring this man in. Ruff is right on pace with this group. The difference from last year and this years team begins and ends with Ruff. Its up to Darcy to find these missing pieces and get this tank rolling into the playoffs. Will he get the job done? Only time will tell, but i dont have much faith in him. After all, Pominville's raise kicks in next season, and will limit Darcy's flexability, and he gave him a ntc. :wallbash:

Oh my GOD, Eklund why do you do this to me???? Ek is like the person dangling that chocolate bar in front of you and then pulling it away right when you're a millimeter from grabbing it, and NEVER giving it to you, even after a hundred grabs at it.

I'm serious, I don't remember in four years of following his rumors when even ONE of them about Buffalo has come true.

People like you keep him in business.

My point about just saying NO to rental players...

SJ just traded a 2nd round pick to Carolina for Wallin and a 5th. Seriously? Wallin? So what is the price going to be for players who can actually help during a playoff run? :blink:

They just traded half of Rivet (it was one of the two 2nd-round picks that we gave them) for Wallin. I'm sure that some here would have been willing to give Carolina all of Rivet. ;)

They just traded half of Rivet (it was one of the two 2nd-round picks that we gave them) for Wallin. I'm sure that some here would have been willing to give Carolina all of Rivet. ;)

My question isn't why did SJ give up a second for Wallin. My question is why didn't the Sabers. Wallin may not be a all-star defenseman. He is certainly a upgrade over Lydman, Montador and Rivet.

My question isn't why did SJ give up a second for Wallin. My question is why didn't the Sabers. Wallin may not be a all-star defenseman. He is certainly a upgrade over Lydman, Montador and Rivet.

Darcy's waiting for the marketplace to sort itself out!

Ponikarovsky for Roy. Just sayin'. PPG, PPA, big.

Ponikarovsky - Connolly - Pominville.

Am I dreaming? I heard Ponikarovsky in some rumors to be moved, he's a UFA next season but someone I think we could keep salary-wise.

I like Ponikarovsky. I'd be okay with Darcy making a move for him.

Apparently Pittsburgh is after him though. I'd bet money he'd rather go there. They also have a deal going with the Oilers for Moreau which is being held up because of the Pens interest in Ponikarovsky.

I don't believe a word that whack job says. Eklund has thrown tons of names out. Years ago i would even be foolish enough to go to his site for Sabres rumors, none ever came true. In the last year and a half or so i stopped going but his "rumors" still pop up here... and still, the guy is just wrong. Selanne and Saku to Buffalo would be insane though. But just ain't happening.

Eklund obviously get a lot of money from Sabres fans. So after Darcy goes on the air and pretty much says he'll never make a trade again because all of his current players are the greatest and will continue to get better (I may be paraphrasing a tad) Eklund has to come up with a doozy to keep the money coming.

Archived