Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Face it, as much as I hate Lindy Puff's coaching "style" (basically, coddle, and if that doesn't work, coddle some more) and wish he would have quit when he told us he was going to, Darcy Regier is maybe the most incompetent and bumbling GM this team has ever known, and clearly is the real reason this team blows.

Only reason EITHER of them are still around is because the team OWNER is an even BIGGER bumbling idiot and clearly stated three years ago that he's just waiting for someone with the right amount of money to come in and replace his guys with people who "might do a better job."

Wow...a lot of hostility, there. Look, Lindy 'Puff' is about as wrong as you could be. Ruff's style for many years has been a tough one. After the last two years missing the playoffs, he decided to be a little more responsive to his players and not ride them so hard. They started well, and now they haven't responded well...and that's on them, not him when he's tried it both ways.

As for Reiger, though he's certainly made mistakes, he's also done this team a lot of good. We're all pissed at the players' performance lately, but if you were to go back 2-3 years ago, after letting Briere, Drury, and Campbell go (which in hindsight is the RIGHT decision with the money they wanted and their current output), almost all of us wanted Vanek, Roy, Pominville, etc. signed to extensions. They were our young core that needed to step up to the next level...and with the way they were playing, it looked possible. It's not looking good right now, but there's no way to have known that.

And, as for the owner...Golisano saved this team from the brink of disaster. He allows Reiger to spend almost to the cap. He might not be the most hockey-smart owner out there, but there isn't any reason to blame him for any of this. You should be thanking him for the fact that there's a competitive team in Buffalo at all after the mess that jailbird Rigas got us into.

...That's not to say that Reiger doesn't need to do something drastic right now. And if he doesn't, THAT will be the huge mistake that warrants criticism and even firing. So, let's all see what happens, and then throw darts...

And, as for the owner...Golisano saved this team from the brink of disaster. He allows Reiger to spend almost to the cap. He might not be the most hockey-smart owner out there, but there isn't any reason to blame him for any of this. You should be thanking him for the fact that there's a competitive team in Buffalo at all after the mess that jailbird Rigas got us into.

Why?

Golisano is making money on this team. He should be thanking the fans, not the other way around.

Sorry, don't mean to be a hostile jackass here, but I'm so tired of hearing how fans should be "thankful" for putting money in the owner's pockets.

Why?

Golisano is making money on this team. He should be thanking the fans, not the other way around.

Sorry, don't mean to be a hostile jackass here, but I'm so tired of hearing how fans should be "thankful" for putting money in the owner's pockets.

I don't think you're being hostile - but I'm also not saying that people should be 'thankful' for putting money in the owner's pockets in general, or walk around in veneration of the guy. I just think that he deserves credit for taking on a team in bankruptcy in a small-market. And especially for keeping them there, and allowing his GM to spend to the cap.

I don't think you're being hostile - but I'm also not saying that people should be 'thankful' for putting money in the owner's pockets in general, or walk around in veneration of the guy. I just think that he deserves credit for taking on a team in bankruptcy in a small-market. And especially for keeping them there, and allowing his GM to spend to the cap.

Well, true I can't help myself to feel a certain sense of gratitude, compared to the penny pinching years of the Rigases.

Amazing what a few years with a tight spending owner can do to you :)

FIRE SALE IN EDMONTON

"'Tamby' has the absolute green light to do whatever he needs to do to rebuild the hockey club. Notwithstanding the injuries, what we have to date is not working. That's clear. I expect, and we should all expect, to see some changes."

-- Edmonton Oilers owner Darryl Katz

FIRE SALE IN EDMONTON

"'Tamby' has the absolute green light to do whatever he needs to do to rebuild the hockey club. Notwithstanding the injuries, what we have to date is not working. That's clear. I expect, and we should all expect, to see some changes."

-- Edmonton Oilers owner Darryl Katz

Not only Edmonton, but Florida as well.

Here is my "Darcy, get'er done" list:

RW

Nathan Horton

Dustin Penner

LW

Rostislav Olesz

David Booth

C

Stephen Weiss

Michael Frolic

Sam Gagner

D

Lubomir Visnovsky

Jordan Leopold

Denis Grebeshkov

Kieth Ballard

I would prefer a RWer and D man for sure. But, if you had a crack at some of these players, Who would you target and what would your trades look like?

Its still funny to me, how the organization and its supporters refer to the stuggles of "small market" when patting themselves on the back but sell to their sponsors and advertisers the huge hockey market that they have including Southern Ontario.

Its still funny to me, how the organization and its supporters refer to the stuggles of "small market" when patting themselves on the back but sell to their sponsors and advertisers the huge hockey market that they have including Southern Ontario.

The only thing that makes the Sabres "small market" is the corporate support. Not sponsors and advertisers, but the 80 luxury suites that would generate a heck of a lot more revenue in a larger (or wealthier) city. I'm also not sure whether they get as much revenue from advertising as teams in larger cities; they have no problem attracting the advertisers, but I'm not sure about the rates. But they're definitely not "small market" when it comes to the fan base. It is somewhat disingenuous for the team to characterize it that way.

Not only Edmonton, but Florida as well.

Here is my "Darcy, get'er done" list:

RW

Nathan Horton

Dustin Penner

LW

Rostislav Olesz

David Booth

C

Stephen Weiss

Michael Frolic

Sam Gagner

D

Lubomir Visnovsky

Jordan Leopold

Denis Grebeshkov

Kieth Ballard

I would prefer a RWer and D man for sure. But, if you had a crack at some of these players, Who would you target and what would your trades look like?

This response is not taking into consideration that Darcy Regier is the Sabres General Manager and done so for strictly entertainment purposes only.

Horton and Leopold from Florida could be a possibility. Gives the Sabres a really good right wing to play opposite of Vanek and adding Leopold to the blueline will only improve it. Horton is signed for a few more years at $4 mil which isn't over paying. A package including Sekera or Butler, maybe Paul Gaustad or Roy. I would prefer to send Pominville that way but his contract cripples any attempt to trade him. And send one of the little guys Gerbe or Ennis.

This response is not taking into consideration that Darcy Regier is the Sabres General Manager and done so for strictly entertainment purposes only.

Horton and Leopold from Florida could be a possibility. Gives the Sabres a really good right wing to play opposite of Vanek and adding Leopold to the blueline will only improve it. Horton is signed for a few more years at $4 mil which isn't over paying. A package including Sekera or Butler, maybe Paul Gaustad or Roy. I would prefer to send Pominville that way but his contract cripples any attempt to trade him. And send one of the little guys Gerbe or Ennis.

First, I like Horton and think a change of scenery could do him good. But,

How is Horton with 125 goals, 262 points since the lockout a good RW for Vanek, but

Pominville, with 114 goals, 286 points and a definitely better work ethic have an enormously burdensome, bad contract?

Just asking?

First, I like Horton and think a change of scenery could do him good. But,

How is Horton with 125 goals, 262 points since the lockout a good RW for Vanek, but

Pominville, with 114 goals, 286 points and a definitely better work ethic have an enormously burdensome, bad contract?

Just asking?

Different style of game. You bring in Horton hoping that you can get him to use his 6'2" 229lbs frame more. He is like a more talented Drew Stafford. My major concern would be that if this coaching staff can't get Stafford to play that way consistently what could they really do with Horton? The $1.3 Mill a year savings is a huge plus. If used to upgrade at center or the defense.

I'd rather see if they can package Stafford with picks and prospects for Horton. It would give Florida some more cap room to work with next year ($1.9 million vs. $4.0 million), while still having a decent player in that spot. Horton may have more value (though, the relative cap/salary offset some of his production), so the picks/prospects would be added to sweeten the pot.

Top two lines would be:

Hecht-Connolly-Pommer

Vanek-Roy-Horton

Unfortunately, Horton is out injured until March, so it will be interesting to see if he is even on the market.

I'd rather see if they can package Stafford with picks and prospects for Horton. It would give Florida some more cap room to work with next year ($1.9 million vs. $4.0 million), while still having a decent player in that spot. Horton may have more value (though, the relative cap/salary offset some of his production), so the picks/prospects would be added to sweeten the pot.

Top two lines would be:

Hecht-Connolly-Pommer

Vanek-Roy-Horton

Unfortunately, Horton is out injured until March, so it will be interesting to see if he is even on the market.

It really all depends on which "new" direction the Panthers are planing to go. If they see Stafford as a Horton-Lite type player I would think they would pass unless the package of prospects made it worth their while. Right now the asset with the biggest pop is Kassian. Maybe Stafford, Kassian and a first round pick for Horton?

I want Booth... Don't know how and for what, maybe Booth for Stafford..

Booth ain't going to happen. He's the guy that team is going to build around. I think pretty much most of the young guys in Florida are off the market. But guys like Ballard, McCabe, Seidenberg, Leopold, Stillman, Reinprecht, Dvorak are all fair game. I think Florida has decided they are going to go with a complete youth movement. Horton and Weiss are bubble guys in my opinion. Since both are pretty young and very talented, I think Florida might try to keep them, but I also would not be surprised if they were traded away for picks and prospects.

Of the guys from Florida, who I believe to be available, I'd try to go after Seidenberg or Leopold to add the puck moving PP QB defenseman and I'd try to get Horton or Weiss, but would be very happy with acquiring Reinprecht. I'd be willing to give up Stafford and Lydman for Horton or Weiss and either Seidenberg or Leopold. I would not give up much more than MacArthur and Lydman for Reinprecht and one of the two defenseman above. Any trade with Florida involving the Sabres taking on more cap space would have to involve Lydman since he is a UFA at the end of the year and salary would need to be pushed out to take on a relatively hefty contract like Horton's. Since Florida is looking for a long term plan and looking to unload some salary that have longer term contracts, they have to be willing to take on a short term UFA to clear cap space for the Sabres.

Archived