Capitals trade their captain to Columbus...

SDS

Except for those deals made around the annual trade deadline, trades involving actual NHL players coming and going on both sides have become rare indeed in the NHL during the last five seasons. So it was somewhat surprising when the news came down today that Washington has dealt captain and right wing Chris Clark and defenseman Milan Jurcina to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for left wing Jason Chimera.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511370

Strange trade...not sure I understand it. Chimera is a nice 3rd line grinder, but why give up your longtime captain - who's a similar style player - plus a solid defenseman? Must be a payroll dump.

It's gotta be salary. The Caps have a bunch of RFA and UFA D-men coming up, including Jurcina. They must figure they'll need to spend more to sign Pothier and Morrison. Steckl, Fehr and Backstrom are all coming up too, so getting rid of Clark, who would be a UFA after next season, and Jurcina who they probably couldn't afford, makes sense.

Unexpected though.

Which makes it even more puzzling why we have an untouchable captain who can't even be benched.

Yes yes, I know, Ruff was once benched as a captain and never forgot how humiliated he was after that and it changed his whole mindset on how he looked at life yada yada yada...

I like Rivet, but often this season we've seen him put in tired-looking performances - I'd rather he rode the pine for about 10-15 games during the season and then have him in better shape in the playoffs.

The reasoning behind this move for the Caps is completely related to D-man Karl Alzner. His rookie contract is about to kick in after a few more games, so they needed to clear some room for it.

A contract doesn't just kick in after so many games. If he's with the team, he's being paid the NHL side of his salary. If he goes back down to Hershey, he gets paid the AHL side of the deal and he's no longer counted against the cap. Games played don't factor in in any way.

It beats letting their captain(s) walk away for nothing...

OH YES I WENT THERE!

:P

Yes, you went there, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with letting the Wizard of Oz know where he :censored: ed up (and it has to be one of the more colossal :censored: -ups of his GM career).

A contract doesn't just kick in after so many games. If he's with the team, he's being paid the NHL side of his salary. If he goes back down to Hershey, he gets paid the AHL side of the deal and he's no longer counted against the cap. Games played don't factor in in any way.

For some reason I was under the assumption he was on a junior trial or something, but he played pro all last year as well. Either way, he likely has nothing to do with the move.

Not unexpectedly...

OV captain.

"I have a 'C' on my heart, but I'm going to do the same thing," said Ovechkin, introduced before the game as the team's 14th captain. He succeeds Chris Clark, who was traded to Columbus on Dec. 28, and becomes the sixth Russian-born player to captain an NHL team. He is the Capitals' second-youngest captain.

Washington coach Bruce Boudreau and general manager George McPhee made the decision to name Ovechkin captain, but only after the superstar winger told them to talk to his teammates first.

This was an odd trade. Caps play an uptempo attack style. All about transition and goals on the rush. Chmera, as others have stated, is a hulking, average skating guy who is effective along the wall an in front of the net. They signed Kunumble to do that! But Chimera, who I like, jsut doesnt seem to fit with the sytle the caps play. they are desperate to get more sandpaper into the lineup and size to keep pucks deep on the cycle -- but this move seems futile. George McPhee is a savvy GM -- he must see something we dont. ?

Knumble is not the same player he was five years ago when he potted 34 goals and 13 PP goals. I liked Mike as a youngster in Ann Arbor -- where he was an absolute beast to move in front of the net. But he has suffered some terrible injuries == and his game has suffered. He has 10 goals this season.

I would trade Hecht for him straight up, that is about it. What would you give up for him?

Does that mean that they'd like to trade away Mike "Kunumble" now? I'd take him. Knuble would be a nice addition.

Knumble is not the same player he was five years ago when he potted 34 goals and 13 PP goals. I liked Mike as a youngster in Ann Arbor -- where he was an absolute beast to move in front of the net. But he has suffered some terrible injuries == and his game has suffered. He has 10 goals this season.

His stats having exactly been lacking during the subsequent seasons, though:

Season GP G A P PP

2006-07 64 24 30 54 10

2007-08 82 29 26 55 15

2008-09 82 27 20 47 11

2009-10 32 10 12 22 9

He's continued to put up 25+ goals (24 in 64GP is close enough for me), including 10+ on the PP each year. If he continues with his pace from this year over the Caps remaining 38 games, he'd end up with 22G (20 on the PP) and 26A for 48P in 70GP.

While an orbital fracture is never a good thing, it didn't seem to affect him that much and his subsequent injuries (hamstring in 2006-07 playoffs and broken finger this year) haven't been what I'd call terrible.

I would trade Hecht for him straight up, that is about it. What would you give up for him?

I don't really think that the Caps would trade him and certainly not to Buffalo, but I would give up Stafford plus picks/prospects for him.

Archived