Capitals trade their captain to Columbus...

SDS

Stafford is good for 20 goals -- that is only 4-9 less than a healthy Knuble. And Stafford sees hardly any PP time. Stafford is young. Knuble is getting pretty old -- he is about 37-38?

I dont like that trade for Buffalo. BEtter trade, Stafford and Mike Weber to Edmonton for Souray, a 2nd rounder and Moreau.

His stats having exactly been lacking during the subsequent seasons, though:

Season GP G A P PP

2006-07 64 24 30 54 10

2007-08 82 29 26 55 15

2008-09 82 27 20 47 11

2009-10 32 10 12 22 9

He's continued to put up 25+ goals (24 in 64GP is close enough for me), including 10+ on the PP each year. If he continues with his pace from this year over the Caps remaining 38 games, he'd end up with 22G (20 on the PP) and 26A for 48P in 70GP.

While an orbital fracture is never a good thing, it didn't seem to affect him that much and his subsequent injuries (hamstring in 2006-07 playoffs and broken finger this year) haven't been what I'd call terrible.

I don't really think that the Caps would trade him and certainly not to Buffalo, but I would give up Stafford plus picks/prospects for him.

I don't really think that the Caps would trade him and certainly not to Buffalo, but I would give up Stafford plus picks/prospects for him.

I'm sure they are still smarting over the Novo trade..

It's strange, I can't find what Washington turned that first round pick into. I know San Jose eventually used the pick, but I have no idea how it got to them.

Washington traded San Jose that first-round pick for a second-round pick in 2007 (which was acquired from Pittsburgh, who acquired it from Carolina) and a second-round pick in 2008 (San Jose's own.) The 2007 pick was traded to to Philly for a third-round pick in 2007 (acquired from Nashville) and another second-round pick in 2008 (Philadelphia's own.)

Washington used the picks as follows:

Nashville's 2007 third (84th overall) - Phil DeSimone (C, USHL)

San Jose's 2008 second (57th overall) - Eric Mestery (D, WHL)

Philadelphia's 2008 second (58th overall) - Dmitri Kugryshev (RW, RSL)

DeSimone is center for UNH with OK stats. Mestery is a 6'5" defenseman playing in the WHL, who certainly isn't an offensive defenseman and is a -11 this season. Kugryshev is RW putting up decent numbers in the Q (QMJHL).

Washington traded San Jose that first-round pick for a second-round pick in 2007 (which was acquired from Pittsburgh, who acquired it from Carolina) and a second-round pick in 2008 (San Jose's own.) The 2007 pick was traded to to Philly for a third-round pick in 2007 (acquired from Nashville) and another second-round pick in 2008 (Philadelphia's own.)

That made my head hurt.

Archived