GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

LabattBlue

Game thoughts...

- Glad to see Roy get the OT winner. There was a time when it seemed like Roy owned the Leafs and always had big games against them.

- Pominville and Connolly need to be split apart. Just nothing there from a line chemistry stand point.

- I know he is a rookie, but Myers has to work on taking out the man along the boards when they are coming down the wing. Too much stick checking for my liking.

- ONE penalty in the whole game. Way to mail it in refs!

Game thoughts...

- I know he is a rookie, but Myers has to work on taking out the man along the boards when they are coming down the wing. Too much stick checking for my liking.

This is an easy area to improve, he needs to put on 15 pounds of muscle. One announcer had mentioned that a GM had called Myers a battleship without the guns, just imagine the upside of this kid.......... :beer:

This is an easy area to improve, he needs to put on 15 pounds of muscle. One announcer had mentioned that a GM had called Myers a battleship without the guns, just imagine the upside of this kid.......... :beer:

I don't think it has anything to do with more muscle. It's all about technique. Who is telling him that stick checking is an okay way to play defense ALL the time?

I don't think it has anything to do with more muscle. It's all about technique. Who is telling him that stick checking is an okay way to play defense ALL the time?

Yeah, at times it can appear frustrating to watch, given his size.

At the moment I'm ok with it though, I think most of comes from him being afraid to get caught of out position.

I think it'll change as he matures, and gets some more NHL experience under his belt.

That said, he DID cream that Rangers what's-his-name-nobody who's making a mockery of the number 16, so we know he can bring it if he wants to.

there's hardly anything I find more satisying than seeing Ron Wilson leave the rink angry after a Sabres game. After the game, he said that two of the goals the Sabres got were because of "Pee Wee mistakes" by the Leafs. That must not sit well with his team...he has a history of making enemies on his own team despite his successes.

At the moment I'm ok with it though, I think most of comes from him being afraid to get caught of out position.

I think it'll change as he matures, and gets some more NHL experience under his belt.

That said, he DID cream that Rangers what's-his-name-nobody who's making a mockery of the number 16, so we know he can bring it if he wants to.

He certainly has time on his side. I just hope he gets the coaching he needs to become the "superstar in waiting" that some have already anointed him.

Great game. I got to watch it on the computer last night thanks to the Direct tv vs. Versus feud.

I must say it's awesome to own a team the way we do the Leafs the last couple of seasons. Makes me think of a joke my buddy used to use against the leafs fans at Sabres/Leafs games in the late seventies; "Whats Blue and lives in the basement; the Blue Jays, Argo's and Maple Leafs." Still works today..

I didn't want to start a new thread so I have something attached here thats a little piece of history about the leafs after their Stanley cup season. I do not claim to know the authenticity but it also ties to our first GM.

My how the times they have changed.

Toronto Maple Leafs Training Camp 1962.pdf

He also laid out #23 this season.

He is taking advantage of his reach, I think the more physical play will happen with more muscle and more confidence.

He is taking advantage of his reach, I think the more physical play will happen with more muscle and more confidence.

I now it is sacrilegious for me to criticize the chosen one, but bad habits will be hard to break down the road. This is defensive fundamentals which most kids learn in youth hockey. I am not talking about driving heads through the glass, just playing one on one defense.

Great game. I got to watch it on the computer last night thanks to the Direct tv vs. Versus feud.

I must say it's awesome to own a team the way we do the Leafs the last couple of seasons. Makes me think of a joke my buddy used to use against the leafs fans at Sabres/Leafs games in the late seventies; "Whats Blue and lives in the basement; the Blue Jays, Argo's and Maple Leafs." Still works today..

I didn't want to start a new thread so I have something attached here thats a little piece of history about the leafs after their Stanley cup season. I do not claim to know the authenticity but it also ties to our first GM.

My how the times they have changed.

The letter is ironic in that Imlach reportedly blew up at his Sabres in the playoffs in 76 for golfing between games on Long Island in the quarterfinals.

I know he is a rookie, but Myers has to work on taking out the man along the boards when they are coming down the wing. Too much stick checking for my liking.

I'd like to also add that Ryan Miller really needs to improve his puck handling. Too many failed clearing opportunities and missed outlet passes for my liking.

You know this team is really humming along when we resort to nitpicking Tyler Myers and Ryan Miller... :)

I imagine that's the way the Senators feel about the Sabres. Until the Sabres can find a way to break that jinx, I worry that if they meet the Sens in the first or second round of the playoffs, it will be another early end to the season...

I'm not sure I agree with this. As long as the guy can't make a play who cares. When you take a guy out along the boards, you are taking yourself out of the play as well. As long as the stick checks are working, I'd rather have him do that and stay upright to be able to cover someone else as well (as well as not getting injured).

I imagine that's the way the Senators feel about the Sabres. Until the Sabres can find a way to break that jinx, I worry that if they meet the Sens in the first or second round of the playoffs, it will be another early end to the season...

I'm taking my family to the game on Saturday. THEY WILL WIN.. Ottawa is a house of cards and it is about to come tumbling down. You heard it here first.

I'm not sure I agree with this. As long as the guy can't make a play who cares. When you take a guy out along the boards, you are taking yourself out of the play as well. As long as the stick checks are working, I'd rather have him do that and stay upright to be able to cover someone else as well (as well as not getting injured).

I agree. It does seem like Myers has been hitting more since Lydman has been playing. Lydman makes a pretty good share of mistakes, but he does take the body from time to time.

there's hardly anything I find more satisying than seeing Ron Wilson leave the rink angry after a Sabres game. After the game, he said that two of the goals the Sabres got were because of "Pee Wee mistakes" by the Leafs. That must not sit well with his team...he has a history of making enemies on his own team despite his successes.

I'm no Wilson fan at all, and I think you're right about making enemies on his teams. But I have to hope he turns it around before February.

Negatives :

The Sabres gave up too many odd man chances last night.

Miller seemed to fight the initial shot last night, looked in control on the rebounds.

36 shots given up, too many scoring chances.

What the hell was Connolly doing? Instead of shooting his turnover led to he leafs first goal.

Roy's flop in the offensive zone seconds before the Leafs second goal is hopefully the last time we see that.

Positives:

2 points.

With Paetsch's goal last night, Sabres are down to just three on the roster who haven't scored a goal and two seem a surprise to me:

Rivet (surprise)

Mair (surprise)

Butler

Surprise only in I thought they had already..

And Mair came within inches of stealing that goal from Paetsch.

Negatives :

The Sabres gave up too many odd man chances last night.

Miller seemed to fight the initial shot last night, looked in control on the rebounds.

36 shots given up, too many scoring chances.

What the hell was Connolly doing? Instead of shooting his turnover led to he leafs first goal.

Roy's flop in the offensive zone seconds before the Leafs second goal is hopefully the last time we see that.

Positives:

2 points.

He fanned on the shot, then fell to the ice.

What annoyed me most on that play though, wasn't that he fanned on the shot but rather that he chose to sit and watch while the Leafs dug the puck free and went the other way.

Unless he thought the puck was underneath him, that's inexcusable.

I'm taking my family to the game on Saturday. THEY WILL WIN.. Ottawa is a house of cards and it is about to come tumbling down. You heard it here first.

From your mouth to the hockey gods' ear.... I hope that the Sabres can find some sort of voodoo to undo the jinx. On another note, with the Sens here Saturday, perhaps a Carrie Underwood sighting is possible?

Have a great time at the game and GO SABRES!

Archived