GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

LabattBlue

Great post. Come playoff time you need depth. If all the scoring you have is on the top two lines than any shutdown opposition will stick with the stars. You need the secondary scoring. Our defense and goaltending is there and in my opinion those are the most important pieces....

I respectfully completly disagree, your bottom six aren't going to be the factor come playoff time, its going to be your proven performers, this team is showing it doesn't have any. It is however, great that alot of these guys are contributing on an even keeled basis now, but come playoff time, you won't see a whole lot of goals from the bottom 6. Thats going to be a real problem.

Not to mention, a trade for a player of Kovalchucks skill set adds money to the teams coffers through merchandising. You don't have to give up the house to get him either. You take Vanek and one of Pomminstein, Stafford, Connolly or MacArthur and a Dman and picks or prospects and its well worth it. Your not giving anything up that wouldn't be offset by Kovalchuk. He would instantly elevate Roy's numbers and the right winger that play with him by his skills alone. You still will have 2 players to work with on Line 2. Insert Gerbe, Kennedy or Ennis on this line. The point is, we loose nothing and gain an offensive advantage immediately.

A Good defense is a good offense. We have defense and trading 2 dmen away wouldn't hurt us, we have plenty of depth at this position as it is.

I love playing the Leaves. My thoughts on the game:

*Connolly has really mailed it in. Damn, at least pretend to try...WTF.

*Our 4th line was simply awesome, as per usual. So happy to see Paetsch get one from Ellis.

*Miller is excellence. Night in and night out, he's just making it look easy.

*Montador had a great game. Two assists and solid play all night.

*Sekera showed some incredible speed tonight, and flattened a couple Leaves with big hits. He's starting to come of age.

*After Hecht's failure to tie up his man in front of the net directly led to the 2nd goal I was about to jump through the set and pound him. Sure enough, he rebounded with the critical tying goal, and assisted on the winner. Nice comeback from the abyss.

*Roy, thank you for saving a little face for the Top 6. You infuriated me with your periferal fanciness in the offensive zone, but then came through with the huge goal. I'll take that tradeoff anytime. At least you hustle.

*Pominville is good for at least one monster giveaway a night. He better buy Miller a few rolexes for saving his ass so much.

Great win, guys. Now let's pray that Kaleta is going to be OK, because we really need him in the lineup. Vanek...take your time. Maybe take Connolly into the press box with you.

This.

Entertaining game, and I liked our hustle tonight. Toronto matched up well. But once again, Pommers and Connolly fail to be relevant, which is really hurting this team. When you spend most of the game relying on a goal by Nathan Paetsch to keep you in it, you have problems.

Onward to Ottawa and hopefully an actual win.

Great post. Come playoff time you need depth. If all the scoring you have is on the top two lines than any shutdown opposition will stick with the stars. You need the secondary scoring. Our defense and goaltending is there and in my opinion those are the most important pieces....

Thanks! And I'll add that Connolly played a great game today. As a matter of fact, I see that he is less shy about being hit and he continues on his road to recovery and potential. We need the top 6 to play smart - NOT unnecessarily desperate. Our goal is to win the SC - NOT to play to the level of the irrational exhuberance of a mindless zombie hockey player from another team like Darko Roto Rooter - had to get that in there again! :wallbash:

Nice win. I thought it was a very good game. I loved the fast pace and uptempo of the game. Miller came up with some great saves as per usual. Glad to see Paetsch net a goal. Man, that guy deserves more ice time somewhere on the team. He's a really good guy to have around and you really need guys like that on your team. I loved the play of the fourth line overall. Must give credit to Hecht and Roy tonight, both with big games. Hecht gets a huge goal to the tie the game up and a great feed to Roy in front of the net for the game winner in OT. No matter what people say, I like Hecht's game this year. It's really much better this year and even if he's not scoring in bunches, he's playing well at both sides of the rink.

As for my disappointments, I'm really not happy with Connolly's play right now. He had a great opportunity and didn't get a shot off on net in the second that led to Toronto's goal the other way. He looks like he's playing hurt, and he really just doesn't seem to be playing well right now. His game looks totally off. If this team is going to be successful, it's going to need more from their $4.5 million guy in Tim Connolly. While in year's past we have complained of him not playing, give him credit in that he's played every game so far this year, but he's not making an impact right now and he really needs to start making some plays. Otherwise, he's just stealing money, like he did for the last 3 years before this.

I don't intend to bring up the Drury/Briere fiasco, but one thing that is certain is this team is lousy on faceoffs. Briere was never great, but better than what we have now. Drury was definitely a very good faceoff guy and this team is totally struggling in that department. Aside from Gaustad, this team really has no one who can take faceoffs. Kennedy is absolutely terrible, but he's a converted left wing. Hecht, same problem. MacArthur, same problem. Mair and Ellis are not great either, but they are fourth line guys anyway. Connolly is wretched and has always been wretched on draws. Roy is not great. This team can't win a single draw unless Gaustad is out there. They really ought to consider making a trade and getting a really good faceoff guy to come in at the trade deadline. All that would likely mean is one of Ellis or Mair becomes a healthy scratch, but that's okay. This team needs severe help on faceoffs on the top 2 lines, it's just pathetic.

Question: Is there anyone on our team other than Gaustad that can win a goddamn faceoff? Jesus...that's kinda important. Connolly is a lost cause, Kennedy is last in the league in faceoff%, and all our fill-in wingers suck ass at the draw, too. I would love to aquire Brind'Amour from the Canes for the playoff run. Tapping into his Cup experience and faceoff ability could really make a difference.

Thanks to the Sabres being on Versus tonight, I was not able to see the game. So I intentionally waited for the late discussion on saberspace to find out what happened. It's disappointing Tim Connolly has been quiet as of late. At one point, it appeared as if he'd be a point per game player, but that hope has quickly gone away. Pomminstein has had soft numbers the entire season. Yes, people can argue he has been playing defensive hockey, but that can only be taken so far. A team needs to score goals to win. Pomminstein was/is supposed to fill the role of supplying the Sabres points. His numbers have diminished terribly the past two seasons, and I am amazed Buffalo is doing so well despite the fact the Sabres top 6 have had trouble putting the puck in the net. How long is Gerbe out with his injury? I know he is still on the Sabres roster. Ruff needs to wake this team up w/ a roster shake up. One can argue the Sabres are winning games, but if they continue to play at this level they will not make it out of the first round of the playoffs. Of course, Buffalo has to make the playoffs first... I am not pleased with the Sabres as of late, despite their record.

One can argue the Sabres are winning games, but if they continue to play at this level they will not make it out of the first round of the playoffs. Of course, Buffalo has to make the playoffs first... I am not pleased with the Sabres as of late, despite their record.

Lighten up, Frances. We won the damn game and are in first place by six points in the Northeast division. Sure it would be great if we had everything humming at the top of the order, but you are really getting carried away with the negativity. Great defense, top goaltending and balanced scoring can get you a lot farther than you think.

I respectfully completly disagree, your bottom six aren't going to be the factor come playoff time, its going to be your proven performers, this team is showing it doesn't have any. It is however, great that alot of these guys are contributing on an even keeled basis now, but come playoff time, you won't see a whole lot of goals from the bottom 6. Thats going to be a real problem.

Not to mention, a trade for a player of Kovalchucks skill set adds money to the teams coffers through merchandising. You don't have to give up the house to get him either. You take Vanek and one of Pomminstein, Stafford, Connolly or MacArthur and a Dman and picks or prospects and its well worth it. Your not giving anything up that wouldn't be offset by Kovalchuk. He would instantly elevate Roy's numbers and the right winger that play with him by his skills alone. You still will have 2 players to work with on Line 2. Insert Gerbe, Kennedy or Ennis on this line. The point is, we loose nothing and gain an offensive advantage immediately.

A Good defense is a good offense. We have defense and trading 2 dmen away wouldn't hurt us, we have plenty of depth at this position as it is.

I'm sorry, I must disagree. I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but I just checked the box scores in Game 7 of the Stanley cup finals. Maxim Talbot scored the two goals for the Penguins and Johnathan Ericsson scored for the Red Wings. No Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg or Datsyuk goals in the biggest game of the season. When push comes to shove, you absolutely need the secondary scoring.

In regards to your theory on trading for Kovalchuck, how would trading a D man not effect our team? Vanek, Roy and picks probably cancel out Kovalchuck but I'm not touching our D. Do you remember that Carolina series? Not to mention that we've got a damn good record and I wouldn't want to upset chemestry....

Edit, I just read your last point, you would trade TWO Defensemen away??!!

I'm sorry, I must disagree. I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but I just checked the box scores in Game 7 of the Stanley cup finals. Maxim Talbot scored the two goals for the Penguins and Johnathan Ericsson scored for the Red Wings. No Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg or Datsyuk goals in the biggest game of the season. When push comes to shove, you absolutely need the secondary scoring.

In regards to your theory on trading for Kovalchuck, how would trading a D man not effect our team? Vanek, Roy and picks probably cancel out Kovalchuck but I'm not touching our D. Do you remember that Carolina series? Not to mention that we've got a damn good record and I wouldn't want to upset chemestry....

Well, yes I would, this team is going to loose 3, possibly 4 defensemen this offseason. We have 3 UFA's on the actual team roster now and Weber and Grags aren't going to sit in Portland and wait to crack the line up forever.

Sekera is a lock in this lineup, So is Myers, Rivet and Montador. You have Tallinder, Lydman and Paetsch as UFA's.

We have a logjam at this position. The offseason will take some of this away, but why let them walk? Why not package them in a deal at the deadline? This team will not go deep into the playoffs with its current roster, that much I can assure you.

A premadonna like Kovalchuk would disrupt the overall team chemistry (standings don't lie!)

This team is so resilient with so many interchangeable parts - what a concept. To try to create a top line at the expense of the rest of the machine is NOT the path to SC.

I am proud Buffalo can show the rest how to do it. And, we have a huge advantage. Most of the parts are developed in our system!

Wow. I thought I was an optimist 'til I met SabresRepublic. Game on!

Have a great day!

Very cool new avatar, Sizzle.

And I'm going Saturday, and I expect a win. No; I expect a freaking STATEMENT win.

Bold, and dangerous.

Lighten up, Frances. We won the damn game and are in first place by six points in the Northeast division. Sure it would be great if we had everything humming at the top of the order, but you are really getting carried away with the negativity. Great defense, top goaltending and balanced scoring can get you a lot farther than you think.

Good call.

This team will not go deep into the playoffs with its current roster, that much I can assure you.

They can go as far as Miller can take them, which at this point, you'd have to think would be pretty far, considering he has virtually identical numbers to Dominik Hasek in 98-99. See Edmonton Oilers coming out of the lockout when Roloson got hot and singlehandedly kept them in games against all the top teams in the West...

Nice win. I thought it was a very good game. I loved the fast pace and uptempo of the game. Miller came up with some great saves as per usual. Glad to see Paetsch net a goal. Man, that guy deserves more ice time somewhere on the team. He's a really good guy to have around and you really need guys like that on your team. I loved the play of the fourth line overall. Must give credit to Hecht and Roy tonight, both with big games. Hecht gets a huge goal to the tie the game up and a great feed to Roy in front of the net for the game winner in OT. No matter what people say, I like Hecht's game this year. It's really much better this year and even if he's not scoring in bunches, he's playing well at both sides of the rink.

As for my disappointments, I'm really not happy with Connolly's play right now. He had a great opportunity and didn't get a shot off on net in the second that led to Toronto's goal the other way. He looks like he's playing hurt, and he really just doesn't seem to be playing well right now. His game looks totally off. If this team is going to be successful, it's going to need more from their $4.5 million guy in Tim Connolly. While in year's past we have complained of him not playing, give him credit in that he's played every game so far this year, but he's not making an impact right now and he really needs to start making some plays. Otherwise, he's just stealing money, like he did for the last 3 years before this.

I don't intend to bring up the Drury/Briere fiasco, but one thing that is certain is this team is lousy on faceoffs. Briere was never great, but better than what we have now. Drury was definitely a very good faceoff guy and this team is totally struggling in that department. Aside from Gaustad, this team really has no one who can take faceoffs. Kennedy is absolutely terrible, but he's a converted left wing. Hecht, same problem. MacArthur, same problem. Mair and Ellis are not great either, but they are fourth line guys anyway. Connolly is wretched and has always been wretched on draws. Roy is not great. This team can't win a single draw unless Gaustad is out there. They really ought to consider making a trade and getting a really good faceoff guy to come in at the trade deadline. All that would likely mean is one of Ellis or Mair becomes a healthy scratch, but that's okay. This team needs severe help on faceoffs on the top 2 lines, it's just pathetic.

Better idea: And, I am sure Gaustad when practicing with the team had done this until his injury, coach the other guys!

Third Liner!

Good call!!! :worthy:

prospect (Mancari?)

I'm not going to blame you for this, but you may want to refrain from using these two words in the same sentence.

Prospect - a likely candidate for a job or position (from merriam-webster)

Mancari - Mancari has prototype size, but is not a strong skater. While his effort and toughness are to be respected, the converted defenseman needs to take strides in order to be an NHL contributor on offense. If his offensive game does not continue to develop, there may still be a role for him as an NHL tough guy, given his size and strength. (from hockeysfuture.com)

That's the kindest scouting report I've read of a player with no chance of playing regularly in the NHL.

They can go as far as Miller can take them, which at this point, you'd have to think would be pretty far, considering he has virtually identical numbers to Dominik Hasek in 98-99. See Edmonton Oilers coming out of the lockout when Roloson got hot and singlehandedly kept them in games against all the top teams in the West...

But shouldn't they have learned something from the 1999 defeat - That a superstar goalie, at the top of his game, idn't enough to win a cup?

Sure, if the objective is to progress past the 1st round, I'd say the pieces are in place. Who knows, maybe even another ECF, but I all but guarantee you that unless the top-6 play like the top-6 in the playoffs, there's no way they're bringing home the silverware.

So I guess the real question should be - What's the objective set by management?

I had to stop watching the game when my online feed glitched. But what I saw was further proof that this team has what it takes to make a long run into the playoffs. Just look at what they have done in Dec so far:

Wins: Rangers (2), Toronto (2), Montreal (2), Washington, Blackhawks

SO Loss: Pittsburgh

Losses: Devils, Ottawa

That is one helluva of month so far. They have 11 of 16 possible points. The two losses were both whitewashes but the Sabres had a chance into the third to turn them around. A nice six point edge in the division. People should be celebrating and enjoying this team. I submit as long as Miller stays healthy and the D stays healhty, this team will win enough to hold a high playoff seed. The offense will score enough to win games. IIRC correctly, the Sabres are undefeated this year with a 2nd period lead. They aren't giving away games.

Sure a better faceoff guy is needed. I'm not convinced that an elite scorer is worth the price. All that is needed is for one Sabre to catch fire in the playoffs. Somebody will. Somebody does for every team that goes on a run.

With Paetsch's goal last night, Sabres are down to just three on the roster who haven't scored a goal and two seem a surprise to me:

Rivet (surprise)

Mair (surprise)

Butler

Surprise only in I thought they had already..

I had to stop watching the game when my online feed glitched. But what I saw was further proof that this team has what it takes to make a long run into the playoffs. Just look at what they have done in Dec so far:

That is one helluva of month so far. They have 11 of 16 possible points. The two losses were both whitewashes but the Sabres had a chance into the third to turn them around. A nice six point edge in the division. People should be celebrating and enjoying this team. I submit as long as Miller stays healthy and the D stays healhty, this team will win enough to hold a high playoff seed. The offense will score enough to win games. IIRC correctly, the Sabres are undefeated this year with a 2nd period lead. They aren't giving away games.

Sure a better faceoff guy is needed. I'm not convinced that an elite scorer is worth the price. All that is needed is for one Sabre to catch fire in the playoffs. Somebody will. Somebody does for every team that goes on a run.

Could not have said it better. If we are winning with the top six not great, what happens when they catch fire? Too many proven players not to pick up the pace. Like when a career .300 hitter is hitting .215 in June, e.g., Jimmy Rollins--watch out the rest of the season. They have to hit .330 the rest of the year just to hit .270 overall, and be below average still. Expect the same from several of the top six here.. DD

BAD MATH ALERT: 17 of 22 points... :ph34r:

Archived