GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

LabattBlue

I am pretty certain that between now and Jan 1st the NHL rules do not permit players to be called up or sent down.

So if you had a rash of injuries and no extra players on the roster, you would play shorthanded? I know there is a trade freeze on during the holidays, but I was not aware of any injury call-up freeze. :blink:

Paetsch in at forward tonight for Kaleta. I guess someone coming up from Portland was out of the question. <_<

I don't get that either, only things I can think of; a.) Portland has been playing well as of late and we do not want to upset their chemistry. b.) We are saving money and/or call ups for later in season.

Put all the remaining forwards in a bag and pull names out, that is what tonight's lineup looks like... Those lines are as ugly as it gets.

Winning ugly is fine with me just keep the streak alive and keep winning.

If Miller does play I just hope Wilson doesn't do what he suggested to reporters after the last game to get to Miller by running him. Go Bflo

I was close. Here's the NHL Rules on the Holiday Roster Freeze: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=398586

What exactly is the Holiday Roster Freeze?

It is a proviso of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement that limits the movement of players around the Christmas holiday.

Simply stated, it prevents any players on NHL active rosters or injured reserve from being traded, waived or loaned from midnight (local time) Dec. 19 until midnight (local time) on Dec. 27.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule. Teams may sign players during the roster freeze or call up players if roster space becomes available. Also, if a player is placed on waivers before Dec. 19, he must immediately report to any team that claims him during the Holiday Roster Freeze period.

NHL clubs also can make any roster moves necessary to come into salary-cap and roster limits when removing a player from the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

I was close. Here's the NHL Rules on the Holiday Roster Freeze: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=398586

I think the restriction "Player's on NHL active rosters" wouldn't apply to call up's from the farm, however once called and on the active roster they may have to carry them till the period expires. Just spackulation on my part.

Do not like. Do not like at all.

Another change will come on the struggling power play, with Steve Montador joining the blue line on a unit with Craig Rivet, Jochen Hecht, Derek Roy and Drew Stafford.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/12/vanek-kaleta-out-for-leafs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

Montador has scored from the point. So, why not. It's not like the PP is working as is.

Do not like. Do not like at all.

http://blogs.buffalo...8Sabres+Edge%29

I've long thought Monty should be on the powerplay. He seems to be the only one getting shots ON the net and he shoots, A LOT. It'd seem to me that both Patches and Monty should be playing the point. Nate's got a nice wrister from up top.

AND don't forget to activate your lineup for tonight with all these changes!!!!

Anything is better than the Connolly-Pominville Power play. I don't know what I'm more sick of, Connolly's same old "dance around with the puck on the side boards and then pass it to the point" move, or Pominville's complete inability to hold the puck in at the point.

At least with Hecht on the power play you'll get someone who might actually try to get the defense out of position instead of the pylon approach we've been using lately. "Let's just stand here in the same spots and pass the puck back and forth about 7 times, and then just take a shot from the blue line anyways, which will deflect off of a defenseman and out to center ice."

God forbid one of our forwards down low would try to make a move towards the net to collapse the defense. Wouldn't wanna do that or anything. :wallbash:

Anything is better than the Connolly-Pominville Power play. I don't know what I'm more sick of, Connolly's same old "dance around with the puck on the side boards and then pass it to the point" move, or Pominville's complete inability to hold the puck in at the point.

At least with Hecht on the power play you'll get someone who might actually try to get the defense out of position instead of the pylon approach we've been using lately. "Let's just stand here in the same spots and pass the puck back and forth about 7 times, and then just take a shot from the blue line anyways, which will deflect off of a defenseman and out to center ice."

God forbid one of our forwards down low would try to make a move towards the net to collapse the defense. Wouldn't wanna do that or anything. :wallbash:

THIS.

ANYTHING to shake up the PP. It's clearly stale and the "creative" players are definitely not living up to the label.

Nothing would make me happier than if Hecht suddenly broke his two year malaise of low effort, low production, zero hitting, and terrible decision making with and without the puck. Putting him on the power play is a bad joke as far as I see it. Hope I'm wrong and he snaps out of it, but as it stands I think he's one of the worst players in the NHL, and the ice time and salary he's hogging is a huge liability. I consider him possibly even worse this season than last, and I didn't hink that was possible.

Regarding Rivet, why put the slowest player on the team on the power play? He's been absolutely terrible and we're rewarding him with MORE ice time? Come on...

Stafford? He's doing his best Hecht imitation lately, i.e. being a completely useless waste of space.

Anyway, just my opinion. Hope they make me eat my words.

The Sabres are first in their division and on pace for about 110 points this season. So why do these pre-game threads involve mostly negativity and bickering? Just from reading these threads, I would think that you folks were talking about a sub .500 team. Seems like most of you are game to just toss away everybody except Miller, Myers, Grier and Kaleta.

I realize the offense has sputtered at times this season, but who honestly expected 45 points through 34 games? As for the lack of productivity from the top two lines...hey, a few of our traditional scorers are slumping and we're still winning most of the games. That's a good thing. Once Vanek, Roy, and Connolly start finding the back of the net more often, it'll be even better.

Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I guess I'm just wondering why the complete lack of optimism?

GO SABRES!

The Sabres are first in their division and on pace for about 110 points this season. So why do these pre-game threads involve mostly negativity and bickering? Just from reading these threads, I would think that you folks were talking about a sub .500 team. Seems like most of you are game to just toss away everybody except Miller, Myers, Grier and Kaleta.

I realize the offense has sputtered at times this season, but who honestly expected 45 points through 34 games? As for the lack of productivity from the top two lines...hey, a few of our traditional scorers are slumping and we're still winning most of the games. That's a good thing. Once Vanek, Roy, and Connolly start finding the back of the net more often, it'll be even better.

Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I guess I'm just wondering why the complete lack of optimism?

GO SABRES!

I'm opposed to optimism and pessimism. I embrace realism. This is a good team, but not a perfect team. I haven't seen very much negativism, only people pointing out the areas where we are currently under-performing and offering suggestions on how to fix those issues. Nothing wrong with that.

BTW, I guess we can't complain too much about our skill players underachieving on the power play when Pittsburgh somehow has the worst pp percentage in the NHL. How the fack is that even possible?

I read that we were 27th after the 1 for 45 skid. Pens must be somewhere in the neighborhood

but their 5 on 5 produces more. However, their 5 on 5 GA is greater than ours!

My preference is defense first while fine tuning the offensive output. So far, we are top ten in the league standings with this system - for most of the season!

Which is why we play the 82 game season and up to 7 games per series in the playoffs!

Having said that, if the playoffs were to start today I like our chances against any team - including - awa! :thumbsup:

I share your frustration with TC and Pommer, but if Hecht is the answer, we're all doomed. His hands are marginally better than a dead man's.

If Paetsch in is the lineup, why not play him at the point on the PP? If it works, would it be the end of the world to keep him in and sit Mair a few games once Kaleta is healthy?

Paetsch's wicked little wrister from back there got the power play going a few seasons ago, leading me to perpetually overrate the man. There's nothing wrong with Nathan Paetsch!

Archived