GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

nfreeman

Awesome game tonight. Instant Classic. The goaltending duel was fantastic. Miller again comes through in the shootout. Miller is really having a phenomenal year right now. Roy's game has really been awesome in the last few games. I thought Vanek really was skating hard and had his legs under him tonight, he just didn't get many chances. Hecht's game is back and so is Tallinder's. They both had strong nights tonight. What a great defensive battle and comes down to an exciting shootout. I'm very satisfied with tonight's win. Great game all around!

My game notes-

I wasn't going to complain about the officiating if we lost but since we won,

-The trap is back

-Clutching,...back

-Grabbing,...back

-Interference,...also back

-Hooking,...you guessed it,...back (although you can't use the blade of your stick so you have to be closer to the guy)

The league needs to tell linesmen that unless they are willing to bet the lives of their family, upon video review, that a puck was offside, let the play go.

Welcome to 2007.

My first HD hockey game turned out to be a good one...

This team is looking like they are for real...

Please, everyone on this message board, remember how you feel about this team after the win. I don't want to hear about how this team is only playing well "because of their schedule" or any other BS after a loss. The team is not a serious contender for the cup yet....but it is certainly clear that they are not the team of the past two years either. Good win tonight and let's hope they can pull one off tomorrow as well......

Awesome game tonight. Instant Classic. The goaltending duel was fantastic. Miller again comes through in the shootout. Miller is really having a phenomenal year right now. Roy's game has really been awesome in the last few games. I thought Vanek really was skating hard and had his legs under him tonight, he just didn't get many chances. Hecht's game is back and so is Tallinder's. They both had strong nights tonight. What a great defensive battle and comes down to an exciting shootout. I'm very satisfied with tonight's win. Great game all around!

Very good post, except I disagree with Vanek. I'm sure that it's just a slow start and he'll come around but I thought he played terrible again tonight.

Myers made a nice move on his shootout shot but unfortunately the puck skipped on him.

Miller was solid again, although I'm sure he'd like that SO goal back. Put your stick there man!

Solid win! 11 - 4 - 1 is awesome no matter how you slice it.

This was Acquired Taste Hockey. I liked it. You don't need seven goals for a great game. And you don't need guys staring at the rafters after getting head-hunted (although the Rivet board was pretty cheap). Still, the overtime was very refreshing. And I couldn't help but notice that the crowd was standing almost as one as overtime ended. I don't think the NHL would ever go to four on four for the whole game, but what about for five minutes at midperiod?

Miller WILL start tomorrow night..

He certainly should, unless HE tells Ruff he needs the rest. As someone (don't remember who and can't find it) suggested in another thread, Lalime can start next Wednesday; tomorrow, it's Filly.

Myers leading the pack with 25:55 TOI tonight. Roy with an exceptional 25:21 TOI. :worthy: He has earned it, so has Pommer with his 23 minutes.

All is not well, though, in Sabreland. What's up with leaving the puck just above the blue line in the offensive zone? Those are turn-overs waiting to happen.

And they still need to just SHOOT the damn puck sometimes.

Finally, the PP. Very bad. Needs help.

Myers leading the pack with 25:55 TOI tonight. Roy with an exceptional 25:21 TOI. :worthy: He has earned it, so has Pommer with his 23 minutes.

All is not well, though, in Sabreland. What's up with leaving the puck just above the blue line in the offensive zone? Those are turn-overs waiting to happen.

Tell that to Derek Roy. The guy has been rather hesitant to shoot the puck this year.

PK very Good, needs no help. Honestly, they went what, 1-4 or 1-5 tonight on the PP. Not bad considering the opponent.

He certainly should, unless HE tells Ruff he needs the rest. As someone (don't remember who and can't find it) suggested in another thread, Lalime can start next Wednesday; tomorrow, it's Filly.

I agree. If I was Lindy, I would play Miller tomorrow, play Lalime Wednesday against Florida, and then the following 3 in 4 weekend play him again Saturday against Carolina. We need Ryan especially on the road in the 3rd game in 4 nights against tough opponents when the other team is typically rested and waiting for us to come in after having played the night before.

Thought it was a hard fought game from both sides, but Rivet and Vanek had tough nights. Kaleta did a great job in Grier's spot and Miller was on his game - he was the difference. Tallinder is +10 on the year... Bourque played really well for Calgary - they have a similar record to Buffalo for a reason.

I'm totally bummed. I DVRed the game. Came home and it didn't record. I did get see whole shoot out though.

DVR reliability is unacceptably low. I'd like to see a federal inquiry on this, complete with RICO indictments.

Please, everyone on this message board, remember how you feel about this team after the win. I don't want to hear about how this team is only playing well "because of their schedule" or any other BS after a loss. The team is not a serious contender for the cup yet....but it is certainly clear that they are not the team of the past two years either. Good win tonight and let's hope they can pull one off tomorrow as well......

Right on.

So, how many goals does Lalime give up tomorrow?

Miller WILL start tomorrow night..

I'm predicting Lalime, 3GA and a respectable effort by the Sabres. Not sure on the outcome yet.

This was Acquired Taste Hockey. I liked it. You don't need seven goals for a great game. And you don't need guys staring at the rafters after getting head-hunted (although the Rivet board was pretty cheap). Still, the overtime was very refreshing. And I couldn't help but notice that the crowd was standing almost as one as overtime ended. I don't think the NHL would ever go to four on four for the whole game, but what about for five minutes at midperiod?

Strange ideas aside, did you think the Sabres looked...well-coached? And well-goaltended?

Thought it was a hard fought game from both sides, but Rivet and Vanek had tough nights. Kaleta did a great job in Grier's spot and Miller was on his game - he was the difference. Bourque played really well for Calgary - they have a similar record to Buffalo for a reason.

I agree with all of this.

A few other notes:

1. It seemed like Myers had a tough night with the puck, but there he was with almost 26 minutes of ice time.

2. Very strong game by Tallinder. His rebirth this year is like Connolly's in 2005.

3. Also strong games by Hecht, Gaustad, Kaleta, MacArthur and Roy.

4. Calgary is a very physical team with excellent team defense and goaltending. The Sabres matched them in every way.

5. That can only be described as a very tough, gritty performance by the Sabres. Also as the best win of the year.

6. The best goaltender in the NHL wears #30 for the Sabres.

7. Rivet also had a rocky game, but he was very solid late in the 3rd when it was time to lock it up.

8. Who's still upset about Gaustad's contract?

Go Sabres. That was a great win.

This was a game that reminded hockey fans why they love the game. This was a solid effort by both teams. This is by far the best win the Sabres have had in a long time. Beating a really good team with a really good goaltender. Unfortunately for the Sabres they had about 10 seconds to pat themselves on the back before they needed to focus on Philly. One huge positive going into Philly is that will definitely be facing a drop in goaltending.

Archived