GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

nfreeman

MATT. Not Milt.

I heard you the first time! I've been a big fan of Ellis. Glad the Sabres picked him up and glad he got his new contract and glad he is playing a regular shift for the team.

Plus you already know I agree with you that Vanek needs to play at least 20 minutes a game and given time on the PK.

Maybe. With regular shorthanded ice time, for example, he might score four or five shorties. Heck, he got two last year in the first couple of games. Buffalo's been just a middle of the pack team in killing penalties the last couple of years, so it's hard to argue he wouldn't be worth a shot. Certainly someone on a mediocre PK unit could be replaced.

I'd put more stock in the symbolism associated with that kind of commitment to him, and the wonders it could for his game.

Buffalo has only given up about 10 PPGA this year. PK units are fine. Why mess with it?

Vanek is basically playing a PowerForward position and getting the crap hacked out of him every night. 20-25 shifts is about right for him. He takes stick penalties late in shifts as it is..... for every shorty he would score he probably would put the team 3 on 5 twice. If you want to give him more ice time it is probably double shifting him on the third line....but the third has been playing as well as any unit.

Buffalo has only given up about 10 PPGA this year. PK units are fine. Why mess with it?

Vanek is basically playing a PowerForward position and getting the crap hacked out of him every night. 20-25 shifts is about right for him. He takes stick penalties late in shifts as it is..... for every shorty he would score he probably would put the team 3 on 5 twice. If you want to give him more ice time it is probably double shifting him on the third line....but the third has been playing as well as any unit.

Lindy held up "elite ice time" as a carrot for Vanek before the season. How does he go about giving him that without double-shifting him and playing him on the penalty kill?

Archived