[OT] What is your favourite wine

rickshaw

A few weeks back I had a bottle of Clos de los Siete from Argentina. A Malbec, blend along with some Merlot, Syrah and others. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyone like wine? If so is it red or white. What are some of your faves????

Far more of a beer fan than a vino partisan. But when I do go for the grape, tend to like dry reds - merlots, cabs, and shirazes. Alice White makes a good shiraz at a reasonable price. Not sure what a malbec is, but based on the others you mention, I'd probably like it.

My favorites are usually of the Pinot Noir variety. The red-fruity flavors, especially. I'm bad, though, there are SO many damn wineries that I don't really bother to keep track of which ones I like the best. For Pinot Noirs I stick to California or French wineries. My strategy the past year or so has been to simply go to the "recommended" section of Primer and look for a California or French that has been given a gold, silver, or platinum rating.

My wife likes a good Chardonnay, which is great because Chardonnays are fundamentally inexpensive. I'm less picky about the region, but will tend to prefer California or New York as those have the best mix of fry and fruity without the less desirable "woody" or "olive" aftertaste I so dislike in a white wine.

Bourbon isn't considered "wine" outside of Kentucky, so...

Riesling. Viogny. Love 'em both. In general, while I love the tastes of red wines (gimme some Rioja!), they give me too much trouble (heartburn) to make the enjoyment worthwhile. Whites are much easier on my gut, but unless I've got a date for dinner, I'm not ordering white wine. Call it reverse sexism or whatever, but there's a stigma to that. I'll stick to my whiskey.

ok rickshaw, I read the title of your post and the first thing that came to mind was Malbec. Since you already listed that, I have to bring something else to the table. Not sure where you are located, but if you can find a Carmenere, you can't go wrong. Especially if you can find a 2005 Casillero del Diablo from Chili.

BTW, I am from WNY, but not lived there in 20 years. I go back and my brother and his wife try to serve me something called Red Cat and they try to pass that off as a Red, blech.. I might as well drink Welch's grape juice....

A few weeks back I had a bottle of Clos de los Siete from Argentina. A Malbec, blend along with some Merlot, Syrah and others. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyone like wine? If so is it red or white. What are some of your faves????

If you like Argentina stuff, you into Spanish tempranillo, jumilla, Malbec, Roija's? Great value IMO compared to overpriced California/Oregon Pinots. I've been drinking mostly South American and Spanish Reds for the past year, good stuff for value.

For whites, my all-time fave are Didier Dagueneau. he passed, but there are some still out there, pricey, but amazing for special occasions. I wouldnt usually recommend individual labels besides his, I would rather suggest grapes, regions and individual tastes for peeps.

Didier

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on wine, but I know someone who is (owner of a pretty big wine store in NYC) and his advice is: when in doubt (and you want red), go for a Bordeaux (assuming you can stand sending your money to France). For white, he recommends pinot grigio from Northern Italy. I've followed both of these rules quite a few times and they've worked well for me.

Red wine - Rosemount Shiraz (Australia)

White wine - R.H. Phillips Toasted Head Chardonnay (California)

Champagne - Perriet-Joet (France)

Other Sparkling wine - Freixenet Cordon Brut (dry) (Spain), Cinzano Asti Spumante (sweet) (Italy)

Port - Trevor Jones "Jonesy" Rare Aged Port (Australia)

Australia is a great producer of some fine yet inexpensive wine. The Rosemount Shiraz has loads more flavor than just about every other red wine I've tried over the last few years, is consistent and you can get a bottle for $10-$20, depending on vintage. Jonesy port (if you like fortified wines) is rated at a 93/100; it is one of the best ports I ever had (but not THE best). It does sell for only about $15 a bottle (although I just bought a case on sale for just over $10 a bottle).

Everyone has their own favorites but these days; it is hard to find a truly awful wine (Inky's MD 20/20 may be an exception ;) ). The trick is to find a really tasty wine at a really affordable price. If you spend more than $20 or $30 on a single bottle of wine, it damn well better be excellent. There are way too many wines rated 90 and above that sell for $20 or less. Besides, the less you spend on a single bottle, the more bottles you can buy! :lol:

Whites are much easier on my gut, but unless I've got a date for dinner, I'm not ordering white wine. Call it reverse sexism or whatever, but there's a stigma to that. I'll stick to my whiskey.

That's not sexism, it's insecurity. :) :) :)

I'll have wine every once in awhile, but the reality hit me at some point that there's little reason for me to drink wine when I like beer oh so much. If I want the same alcohol effect, I'll drink an imperial stout or strong ale. :)

That being said, reds are usually my thing, whether sweet or dry. In college I used to drink Woodbury Seaport Red (Dunkirk/Fredonia area), but I had it some point later and it didn't taste the same. I don't know if that's due to the wine or me. I also like girlie sweet wines (concord grape, strawberry, blueberry, etc.), but I take that as evidence that I don't really like wine that much.

I like semi-dry white's the best (Pinot Grigio, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris), but I do like a good red every once in a while. I've had good luck with pretty much any VQA wine... Willm (France) and Boutari (Greece) also make very excellent and decently priced whites too.

Anyone who really likes wine and lives in the WNY/S. ON area should really consider going on a tour of the Niagara on the Lake wineries.

Hey, does Bully Hill still make the Buffalo Sabres wine? That was swweeeeettt lol.

• 2 months later...

ok rickshaw, I read the title of your post and the first thing that came to mind was Malbec. Since you already listed that, I have to bring something else to the table. Not sure where you are located, but if you can find a Carmenere, you can't go wrong. Especially if you can find a 2005 Casillero del Diablo from Chili.

BTW, I am from WNY, but not lived there in 20 years. I go back and my brother and his wife try to serve me something called Red Cat and they try to pass that off as a Red, blech.. I might as well drink Welch's grape juice....

Better late than never, but I just came across your post.

I live in BC where our wine is very expensive. The gov't treats booze and smokes as luxuries, so they are taxed heavily. I have had the Carmenere you referred to. I enjoyed it, but it's been awhile since I've had one. Find them a bit fruitier and a little softer than I like them. But you can't go wrong with Chili and Argentina.

I do like California Cabs. Pricey, yes, but they are a great region for reds so I don't argue.

If you like Argentina stuff, you into Spanish tempranillo, jumilla, Malbec, Roija's? Great value IMO compared to overpriced California/Oregon Pinots. I've been drinking mostly South American and Spanish Reds for the past year, good stuff for value.

For whites, my all-time fave are Didier Dagueneau. he passed, but there are some still out there, pricey, but amazing for special occasions. I wouldnt usually recommend individual labels besides his, I would rather suggest grapes, regions and individual tastes for peeps.

Didier

I am not huge on Spain. A little earthier than I like. I like bolder wines usually. We make excellent whites where I live. We are an excellent white wine region and reasonably priced. Our reds are good, but too pricey. Therefore I go to countries where red weather is best. I find Argentina is my fave, but I do like Australia when the bottles reach $20 and up. Sadly.

Some good Italians have come my way lately too. Montaltdo Nero Cab Sauv is a nice little wine.

Archived