GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I'm baffled as to why that's a goal.

It was across the line on Gaustad's second try, which was long before Kaleta came in late. The whistle didn't come until right before Kaleta came in, so I'm guessing it was determined that it was in well before the ref made the decision to blow the play dead.

Buffalo righted the ship tonight..

That was as good a game as they have played.. Faceoffs, check, playing with a lead, check, goal tending, check, power play goals, check, Vanek, check, Roy, check, SOGs, check

On to Philly

The Broad Street Beavers? :unsure:

It was across the line on Gaustad's second try, which was long before Kaleta came in late. The whistle didn't come until right before Kaleta came in, so I'm guessing it was determined that it was in well before the ref made the decision to blow the play dead.

I truly believe it was a goal. I just can't believe that by what someone saw on replay they could call it one.

That's not a situation that's reviewable. Did the ref tell Toronto when he decided to blow the whistle?

That's not a situation that's reviewable. Did the ref tell Toronto when he decided to blow the whistle?

Ya know how sometimes they say that the ref meant to blow the whistle but he didn't? Maybe this is one of those situations where the ref blew the whistle but he didn't mean to.

Ya know how sometimes they say that the ref meant to blow the whistle but he didn't? Maybe this is one of those situations where the ref blew the whistle but he didn't mean to.

Maybe.

Too bad the NHL doesn't feel it's important to communicate with the fans. Wait... didn't the NHL's web site have an explanation of all video reviews during last year's playoffs?

Great game tonight; nice effort, nice passing (mostly, there were a couple of screwups), and great pressure in the NYI zone. Not too much of that game was played in front of Miller. This could have been a higher scoring game (Stafford's open net miss was just the beginning), but all in all, the O was good but unlucky, the D was solid, and Miller did his job well.

PASabre, you're being way too negative lately.

And speaking of negative, DeLuca, do you only post after losses?

Great game tonight; nice effort, nice passing (mostly, there were a couple of screwups), and great pressure in the NYI zone. Not too much of that game was played in front of Miller. This could have been a higher scoring game (Stafford's open net miss was just the beginning), but all in all, the O was good but unlucky, the D was solid, and Miller did his job well.

Lately?

Perhaps as solid a game I have seen from the Sabres this year. They dominated the game for nearly 60 minutes. And I don't mean they came out intending to burn down the barn; rather they looked impeccably disciplined. They looked like they actually got something out of practice these past few days.

To me that seems to be the difference this season so far: the Sabres seem to be a well-practiced and fundamentally disciplined TEAM this season.

And, for what it's worth, I have to give credit to the Islanders, because for the first period they looked equally as well-practiced and disciplined.

Nice to see Roysie get his first goal, too.

To me that seems to be the difference this season so far: the Sabres seem to be a well-practiced and fundamentally disciplined TEAM this season.

Now they just need to pass a little better. I know that they will never play the "perfect" game but just a little crisper on passes and all will be well.

Game thoughts...

- Just got home from the game a little while ago. Pretty solid effort.

- The first 6:30 minutes which I believe did not have any stops in play was about as boring as it could get.

- Miller comes back with a strong effort and a shutout after getting yanked in the previous game.

- Kennedy with another strong effort.

- Marty giving Kaleta a facewash was hilarious!

- Nobody coming with 50' of Witt after he ran Grier was a little disappointing.

- Sekera with his best effort of the year. Who sits when Lydman is healthy?

- Kaleta with a good physical game after some so so efforts recently in that regard.

- Good to see Roy get his 1st. Can't say I noticed him otherwise.

- There must have been a review of Gaustad's goal that they didn't show at the arena. Based on what I saw, I was shocked they called it a goal.

- Am i the only one who hates the merchandise being sold with tattered lettering or has silk screening that looks like it is 10 years old? It's new merchandise...I want it to look NEW!

GO SABRES!!!!

++

very nice.+++

11:47 for Vanek? Can that be right?

If the box score is right, he got the least ice time out of any forward. Roy was pretty close to him. I actually thought the two of them had very good games, so I found it pretty surprising.

A few other comments:

1. Miller was superb.

2. Sekera had his best game of the year and was, IMHO, the Sabres' best defenseman tonight (although they all played well and the ice time was pretty even). Great skating, great decisions and a ton of confidence. When he has games like that, I think he's a 23-year-old future star.

3. Myers was less aggressive tonight but very effective. He was 2nd on the team in ice time (behind Butler -- what a potentially great threesome of young defensemen if those 2 and Sekera can keep improving).

4. It seems like the top 4 offensive players -- Connolly, Pommer, Vanek & Roy -- are all getting sharp at the same time. I thought all 4 played pretty well tonight.

5. I think Lindy really likes his 3rd & 4th lines.

6. Roy was 14-for-14 on faceoffs. Suddenly the Sabres are great on faceoffs. Where did that come from?

7. Overall that was a very competitive, fast, enjoyable game. The Islanders looked pretty good and had enough scoring chances that it could have been very close.

8. OK, here we go. Philly in HSBC on Friday, then at Boston on Saturday. Are they ready for prime time?

9. For those who attended the game -- were there a lot of empty seats? It looked that way on TV.

Nice win.

Archived