GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Perhaps as solid a game I have seen from the Sabres this year. They dominated the game for nearly 60 minutes. And I don't mean they came out intending to burn down the barn; rather they looked impeccably disciplined. They looked like they actually got something out of practice these past few days.

To me that seems to be the difference this season so far: the Sabres seem to be a well-practiced and fundamentally disciplined TEAM this season.

And, for what it's worth, I have to give credit to the Islanders, because for the first period they looked equally as well-practiced and disciplined.

Nice to see Roysie get his first goal, too.

Good point about discipline. That must be why Kaleta's retaliation was so surprising.

I don't know if it is right, but knowing Ruff, it sure can be.

I still can't complain about anything in this game, though.

Of course Roy and Stafford were down in ice time too. That line, in fact, was on the ice less than the so-called fourth line. But Vanek ended up with less ice time than any other Sabre.

Nice game overall, while the offense looked a little timid at times going to the net, except the third and fourth line. Thought Hecht played really well though missed a few chances to bury the puck. Pulled a Don Luce over top of the net at one point.

Myers finally started figuring out and the Sabres forwards came back to give him an outlet when the Isle sent two forecheckers against him... nice adjustment and then gave it back further up the ice. That forecheck messed up Myers in the last game and at time early in this one. Witt needs to be run.

Good Win... Go Sabres.

P.S. Kaleta deserved whatever Marty gave him, though I like the mentality, it got the game juices going.

Just Cause

1. It is such a pleasure to watch hockey when your team wins and controls faceoffs.. The whole complexion of the game changes.

2. This game felt like a carbon copy of Saturday except for Buffalo this time. Isles had several chances at an open net but missed or the puck jumped their stick. The goal tender was on fire.

3. Miller was on. He has elevated his game this year.

4. I miss Marty.

5. When are we going to reclassify the fourth line as the first line? How bizzare is this team?

6. Witt crunched Grier into the glass. Grier is lucky he didn't get hurt.

7. Sabres played a disciplined hockey game last night. They did have a few shifts when they got caught running around in their zone, but Miller bailed them out.

8. That move Vanek made to split the defense showed he does have some speed.

9. I thought Goose's goal was good. I was certain they wouldn't allow it though. Those calls always seem to go against the Sabres..

10. Tambellini who? Order has been restored...

5. When are we going to reclassify the fourth line as the first line? How bizzare is this team?

They're just waiting for other teams to reclassify them, then the real first line will pot 4 or 5 in a game.

Seriously, though, the third and fourth lines may not have as much offensive potential (though, they are certainly carrying their weight and then some), but they are very good at getting the puck in the offensive zone and keeping it there. I'm guessing that in games where we have a lead, we will see the minutes shift their way, as we did last night. It's hard to mount a comeback when you can't get the puck out of your own end; it's more likely that the puck will end up in your net on a "garbage" goal. I have no problem with it. The only question is: do the guys on the top line? If they're all about the team, then they won't.

9. I thought Goose's goal was good. I was certain they wouldn't allow it though. Those calls always seem to go against the Sabres..

It's the first call like that I can remember going Buffalo's way. RJ's reaction confirmed it. He was a little coy with his "He scores" call.

They're just waiting for other teams to reclassify them, then the real first line will pot 4 or 5 in a game.

Seriously, though, the third and fourth lines may not have as much offensive potential (though, they are certainly carrying their weight and then some), but they are very good at getting the puck in the offensive zone and keeping it there. I'm guessing that in games where we have a lead, we will see the minutes shift their way, as we did last night. It's hard to mount a comeback when you can't get the puck out of your own end; it's more likely that the puck will end up in your net on a "garbage" goal. I have no problem with it. The only question is: do the guys on the top line? If they're all about the team, then they won't.

The 3rd & 4th lines prove the point that Ruff has been harping on about hard work - the lines that put in the effort will create chances, and as we've seen this season, will score too.

The first two lines have on occasion worked hard on the forecheck and have made good scoring chances - the other two lines have been consistently grafting and fighting for the puck and pressuring the other team and the results are there.

Thoughts:

-This was Vanek's best game of the season. Robi pointed that out during the intermission reports and after the game. TV dominated when he was out there and needs to keep rolling. Lindy needs to give him more than a paltry 11 minutes of ice time. It's funny Vanek had a bounce back game after our discussion of him in a thread earlier in the week (Vanek Thread). He proved he was capable of what many in that thread said. Vanek showed that he DOES have speed, as evident when he burst through two defenders and went on the break. He's deceptively fast. Vanek also displayed he's more of a playmaker than people give him credit for. Anyone catch the pass he put right on Stafford's stick on the 2 on 1? Too bad Stafford shot it wide and missed a wide open net; Drew needs to BURY those chances.

-Myers rebounded after having a couple so-so efforts. He was sharp, moved the puck well and played solid d. Someone mentioned that the forwards began to come back and help him out a bit more. I agree. NYI's aggressive forecheck makes it hell on defenders, so it was nice to see the forwards come back and aid the dmen. Myers still isn't moving his feet the way he was in the beginning of the year though. I'm thinking the schedule of NHL play may be getting to his body.

-Rivet seems a bit off to me. Anyone else picking up on this? He just doesn't seem to be making good decisions with the puck, and seems a little erratic. Perhaps he has the flu?

-Montador is starting to shape up. I like him. He's energetic and plays solid d. He'll also surprise you a few times a game and skate the puck up. Not too shabby.

-Im much more impressed with Sekera this year than last year. Last year this board seemed to hold him in high regard; I wasn't sold. This year however, I really notice remarkable improvements in his speed and skating ability. The kid can HAUL. He's also playing more aggressively this year, and trying to set up some more hits. He got caught last night on a risky pinch, but that's a chance sometimes worth taking. Let him play his game, and we'll see what he can develop into.

-Miller was fantastic, and if he continues at this rate, will be a top candidate for the Vezina.

-This team really missed Gaustad, and it was great to see him back on the ice. The 4th line is so much more effective with Goose at the helm.

-The 3rd and 4th lines are the reason this team is having such success. They continually bring it to the other team. Matt Ellis is the unsung hero of this team.

-RJ was having ALOT of fun last night at the game haha. Im thinking he brought his own special brew. :thumbsup: It was the most energetic I've heard him in quite some time.

-RJ was having ALOT of fun last night at the game haha. Im thinking he brought his own special brew. :thumbsup: It was the most energetic I've heard him in quite some time.

I had to laugh when after Goose's goal was given post-review, RJ decided he had to do over his goal call.. "He scoooooores..."

Everyone's happier after an all-round performance like that.. maybe even DeLuca and PA??

-Rivet seems a bit off to me. Anyone else picking up on this? He just doesn't seem to be making good decisions with the puck, and seems a little erratic. Perhaps he has the flu?

While Rivet's willingness to defend any and all of his teammates is to be admired and I think he would be an asset come playoff time, he continues to look a step slow during his time here. Last year, a lot of people chalked it up to injuries. Now, I am not so sure. Hopefully, he was got something left in the tank when it counts the most.

Good call. As for the "top" line -- when all is said and done, if injuries don't affect the lineup too much, I'll predict that TC's line will end up with more ice time than Roy's line. TC and Pommer had 19 minutes last night while Roy and Vanek had 12. I'm sure Roy and Vanek aren't happy about that, but both played well last night, and the answer for them is to keep it up and make Lindy give them more ice time.

The 3rd & 4th lines prove the point that Ruff has been harping on about hard work - the lines that put in the effort will create chances, and as we've seen this season, will score too.

The first two lines have on occasion worked hard on the forecheck and have made good scoring chances - the other two lines have been consistently grafting and fighting for the puck and pressuring the other team and the results are there.

I agree on the effort, but I also think that the players on the 3rd and 4th lines this year are just better than the players on those lines were last year -- Hecht is now a 3rd-liner, Grier and Kennedy are new, Kaleta is continuing to get better, Ellis is more used to the system, etc. These guys have essentially replaced Paille, Mair, Max and Kotalik on those lines and the difference is substantial.

Thoughts:

-This was Vanek's best game of the season. Robi pointed that out during the intermission reports and after the game. TV dominated when he was out there and needs to keep rolling. Lindy needs to give him more than a paltry 11 minutes of ice time. It's funny Vanek had a bounce back game after our discussion of him in a thread earlier in the week (Vanek Thread). He proved he was capable of what many in that thread said. Vanek showed that he DOES have speed, as evident when he burst through two defenders and went on the break. He's deceptively fast. Vanek also displayed he's more of a playmaker than people give him credit for. Anyone catch the pass he put right on Stafford's stick on the 2 on 1? Too bad Stafford shot it wide and missed a wide open net; Drew needs to BURY those chances.

-Myers rebounded after having a couple so-so efforts. He was sharp, moved the puck well and played solid d. Someone mentioned that the forwards began to come back and help him out a bit more. I agree. NYI's aggressive forecheck makes it hell on defenders, so it was nice to see the forwards come back and aid the dmen. Myers still isn't moving his feet the way he was in the beginning of the year though. I'm thinking the schedule of NHL play may be getting to his body.

-Montador is starting to shape up. I like him. He's energetic and plays solid d. He'll also surprise you a few times a game and skate the puck up. Not too shabby.

-Im much more impressed with Sekera this year than last year. Last year this board seemed to hold him in high regard; I wasn't sold. This year however, I really notice remarkable improvements in his speed and skating ability. The kid can HAUL. He's also playing more aggressively this year, and trying to set up some more hits. He got caught last night on a risky pinch, but that's a chance sometimes worth taking. Let him play his game, and we'll see what he can develop into.

-Miller was fantastic, and if he continues at this rate, will be a top candidate for the Vezina.

-This team really missed Gaustad, and it was great to see him back on the ice. The 4th line is so much more effective with Goose at the helm.

-The 3rd and 4th lines are the reason this team is having such success. They continually bring it to the other team. Matt Ellis is the unsung hero of this team.

I think Rivet, Montador and Tallinder make a perfect balance for Sekera, Butler and Myers... Seems like the lefty/righty, age/youth, speed/stability are all in balance. Throwing in a Paetsch who plays D/Wing is just icing.

I've been wondering if Montador can even hit the net. I was going to comment on that in last night's thread and he fires a laser on point. Still it seems his shot misses more than it connects..

On Myers, I've noticed his ability to keep the puck away from the attacking forward just on his reach alone. Nice asset. They attack and he extends his arms and they can't get to it. Clearly other teams are attacking him and playing for the turnover.

Sekera seems to be pushing up ice. He reminds me a lot of Campbell with better instincts.

Butler is pretty solid out there.

9-2-1 sure feels pretty good right now. That record gets put to the test against Philly. I hate Philly but love their team. PHL-BUF are some of my favorite games to watch. Philly has guys who can score on at least three, probably four lines. Carter can sure bring it.

While Rivet's willingness to defend any and all of his teammates is to be admired and I think he would be an asset come playoff time, he continues to look a step slow during his time here. Last year, a lot of people chalked it up to injuries. Now, I am not so sure. Hopefully, he was got something left in the tank when it counts the most.

Speed isn't everything. Who would you rather have on the ice to protect a lead at the end of the game -- Rivet or Sekera?

Rivet is a grownup and he knows how to play the game. He had the 3rd-most ice time on the team last night, and he gave one of the Islanders a solid couple of shots after the guy took a whack at Miller when the puck was in Miller's glove. That stuff is important, especially for Butler to see as he learns the NHL game. Tallinder and Sekera aren't going to do it. The Sabres need guys like Rivet and Montador so the opponent is made to pay a price and so Butler and Myers see what to do.

Speed isn't everything. Who would you rather have on the ice to protect a lead at the end of the game -- Rivet or Sekera?

Rivet is a grownup and he knows how to play the game. He had the 3rd-most ice time on the team last night, and he gave one of the Islanders a solid couple of shots after the guy took a whack at Miller when the puck was in Miller's glove. That stuff is important, especially for Butler to see as he learns the NHL game. Tallinder and Sekera aren't going to do it. The Sabres need guys like Rivet and Montador so the opponent is made to pay a price and so Butler and Myers see what to do.

Right on. And it does look like Butler has picked up a lot from our captain - he has been much more physical this season, mostly small things like pushing people off the blue ice, or shoving them up against the glass behind the goal - being physical is much more than taking flying leaps at people as they cross the blue line, though it does look Carruba-worthy!

Archived