Should Ruff coach Myers?

PASabreFan

Lindy played Montador and Lydman over Tallinder and Myers last night, which I thought was foolish. Montador and Lydman made several bad plays, giving the puck away and they failed to move the puck up the ice to the forwards.

Why Lindy played Montador and Lydman (18 mins even strength) over Tallinder and Myers (13 minutes even strength) is beyond me.

I agree completely, I was at the islanders game and myers was still better than lydman as I thought lydman was our worst defenseman. He had atleast 4 big giveaways that led to scoring chances for the islanders that i counted

I also fail to see how Myers' game against the Islanders was a "regression". He had a goal and an assist. If anything, it was his most encouraging game.

Myers jumped up as another forward on several rushes, turning what seemed to be a routine plays into scoring opportunities (a la Mike Green). His goal against the Islanders was a direct result of this.

I like when he plays aggressive and jumps up on the rush. And I don't feel that his tenacity to move up affects his overall defensive game; he's still one of the best defenders in our own zone. His reach and poke checking are what you would expect from a 6'8 defenseman (i.e. superb).

As he adds more weight to his frame, he'll be able to turn up his physical game as well.

This kid is gold. Keep playing him.

What if we've been delivered the baby Jesus here? Are we really going to #%^$#! the bed?

Here is the quote I had tried to reply to.

You don't think Joseph told Jesus he had to learn how to use the carpenter tools the right way rather then just let him use his powers to build whatever carpenters built back then?

Well if I'm gonna be misquoted, might as well be in reference to the saviour.

Think young Jesus yelled, "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!" :)

How did my reply to you also end up in your quote section? Weird. I think Jesus is messing with us.

I don't think Jesus's big skill was carpentry.

What do you think he was doing when he was 19? Part of those missing years not in the Bible. Maybe someday they'll find some missing text like: ...and Joseph said unto Jesus 'I don't care if you can turn this wooden chair into gold so then we can sell it to Pontius Pilate and then take the rest of the month off.'

I don't think there's much here, at least not yet. I heard what Lindy said after the Islanders game, but he had a goal and an assist and contributed quite a bit. He may have had some miscues in the defensive zone against the Isles, but I would not say he had a bad game. Last night, he definitely had a bad game. I would not make too much out of his first 5 games in the NHL for a 19 year old kid. If his play begins to get worse over a 10 game span, then that's something to be concerned with, but not right now, in my opinion. I think it's way too early to judge what he is at this point, but I like his size, his reach, and I'm totally impressed with his skating ability for someone of his size.

As for Lindy Ruff coaching him, I wouldn't be too concerned here. The rest of the NHL media seems to think that Brian Campbell is an elite defenseman and a Norris candidate, even though I've always thought he's a fraud. But, if the media sees that from Campbell, then maybe Lindy had something to do with that, perhaps? Danny Briere was absolutely worthless in Phoenix and then all of a sudden became a point per game player in Buffalo. Perhaps Lindy had something to do with that as well? Chris Drury apparently became a consistent 30 goal scorer in Buffalo as well, how much of that is due to Lindy? J.P. Dumont was a spare part throw away in the Grosek deal for Gilmour. He turned out to be a really good two way player who is a consistent 20 goal scorer. How much of that is due to Lindy Ruff? There seem to be a lot of players over the years who have developed just fine under Lindy Ruff. I would not be too concerned with Tyler Myers development or Thomas Vanek's continued development under Lindy Ruff. By the way, I still consider Vanek to be a young player as he is only 25. So, I'm not worried about the development of Tyler Myers under Lindy Ruff as there have been a few decent players that have developed quite nicely here. So, I wouldn't fear.

You don't think Joseph told Jesus he had to learn how to use the carpenter tools the right way rather then just let him use his powers to build whatever carpenters built back then?

I don't think Jesus's big skill was carpentry.

Well if I'm gonna be misquoted, might as well be in reference to the saviour.

Think young Jesus yelled, "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!" :)

Here is the quote I had tried to reply to.

How did my reply to you also end up in your quote section? Weird. I think Jesus is messing with us.

What do you think he was doing when he was 19? Part of those missing years not in the Bible. Maybe someday they'll find some missing text like: ...and Joseph said unto Jesus 'I don't care if you can turn this wooden chair into gold so then we can sell it to Pontius Pilate and then take the rest of the month off.'

Holy out of control analogy batman.. I'm amazed WWJD hasn't gotten in here yet....

The kid reminds me of Max sometimes - a lot of spectacular plays followed by a lot of dumb turnovers. The good news is that he's 10 years younger than Max, so chances are pretty good that he will work it out.

And why the hell would you not coach a player?

The kid reminds me of Max sometimes - a lot of spectacular plays followed by a lot of dumb turnovers. The good news is that he's 10 years younger than Max, so chances are pretty good that he will work it out.

I probably should have put coach in quotations. Maybe mentor would be a better word.

Someone joked about Corsi and Hasek. You think Dom was coached?

Once in a while, there comes a different breed of cat. The whole premise of this thread, missed by a few, is that maybe, just maybe we won the lottery here and have an actual different breed of cat in Myers.

I probably should have put coach in quotations. Maybe mentor would be a better word.

Someone joked about Corsi and Hasek. You think Dom was coached?

Once in a while, there comes a different breed of cat. The whole premise of this thread, missed by a few, is that maybe, just maybe we won the lottery here and have an actual different breed of cat in Myers.

Myers is a different breed and is going to be the cornerstone of this franchise for many, many years.

I think he has to stay up and learn the pro game. He'll have his tough moments, they all do (Nik Lidstrom against Buffalo) but the great players learn quickly. Myers is going to be great.

No attitude from him. Just a desire to get better. The team best keep him up or it will be a travesty.

James Patrick? Really? Are we using the same system of evaluation that had Montador as a top four?

The problem the Sabres are facing, PA alluded to it just above here, is that Ruff and Patrick can't relate with this kid. Neither came close as players to having this kids combination of size and speed. The closest they can compare this kid to is Tallinder and look how that turned out. And again, as PA pointed to Vanek, Ruff has no experience as a coach with a player with the offensive talent Vanek has. Would Vanek be a more prolific scorer under a different coach?

I say this with all the respect in the world for Ruff.

Patrick and Ruff played with players like Brian Leetch, Al MacInnis, Mark Messier, Gilbert Perreault, Marcel Dionne, Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk... the list goes on an on. You don't think playing along side of guys like this didn't teach them anything over the years? They may not know what it's like to have that talent, but they sure as hell know what it's like to work with someone with that talent.

I'm willing to buy the comment about never having coached a guy with the talent of Vanek, but any good coach is going to take something from those experiences from his playing days. I'm glad you didn't make the same point about never coaching a defensemen with the talent of Myers because Lindy coached a young Ed Jovanovski during his days in Florida, clearly an elite talent.

Seriously? Did you really just post this?

Max is probably not even near a list of players I would have compared Myers to.

Going out on a limb here on a Sunday morning. I can see the villagers gathering their saws already, but that's OK.

It's just a couple of games, but Tyler Myers' game has definitely declined. Why? Probably just the inevitable coming down to earth, the kid realizing where he is and what he's doing. But what if the coaching staff has already gotten into this guy's head?

Was there a one on one drill where Ruff blew his whistle and showed Myers how to play someone like Max? Does the former middling defenseman want to mold this kid into his image? Like he so successfully turned Thomas Vanek into a 17-minute-a-game "two-way" player?

Myers' ice time has already been cut three games in a row. Ruff has already made a strange presser comment about him. ("Take a little of the shine off.")

Myers' big comfortable smile is already gone.

The question is: do you coach a talent like this? We've all marveled over him, so no backtracking now. Is he or is he not the defense equivalent of an Ovechkin or Crosby? Do players like that need coaching? What kind of player would Ovechkin have been under Ruff? As good?

Really just food for thought. But flame away. Saw away, whatever.

Ok I wasn't around all weekend so I am just seeing this ... PA, you have outdone yourself. They get points in five of the first six, including four wins, and it looks like they finally hit on a future No. 1 defenseman ... and you suggest it has taken the coaching staff 2 weeks to ruin his career. I'd hate to see what you'be saying if they were 3-3 after 6 games.

But since we are speculating about stuff ... if Myers had struggled in the first two games and then they won 4 in a row and he looked really good, would you be praising Ruff for "fixing" him? Somehow I doubt it. But they lose one in a row and the kid looks like a just slightly better than average 19-year old, and the possibility that Ruff has ruined him is already in play? After 2 weeks? Really?

Ok I wasn't around all weekend so I am just seeing this ... PA, you have outdone yourself. They get points in five of the first six, including four wins, and it looks like they finally hit on a future No. 1 defenseman ... and you suggest it has taken the coaching staff 2 weeks to ruin his career. I'd hate to see what you'be saying if they were 3-3 after 6 games.

But since we are speculating about stuff ... if Myers had struggled in the first two games and then they won 4 in a row and he looked really good, would you be praising Ruff for "fixing" him? Somehow I doubt it. But they lose one in a row and the kid looks like a just slightly better than average 19-year old, and the possibility that Ruff has ruined him is already in play? After 2 weeks? Really?

Well said. Has any young star made it through his first season without the occasional decline in play?

As for Vanek, I can't agree at all with the notion that Lindy's held him back. Does anyone watch Vanek and see another Ovechkin, waiting to explode if he would only get another 4 minutes per game of ice time? Does Vanek quicken the pulse every time he's on the ice? I see a big, talented kid who got paid way too much at way too young an age.

But hey, keep grinding that axe.

This thread has thinking about Vanek as well...

Could we say similar things about Vanek? Does he posses that raw skill, is he among that 'different breed' of player? Would he be better off if Ruff just let him off the leash?

Without a doubt, yes.

You've so badly distorted (hopefully just misunderstood) my post, I see no reason to try and have a conversation with you.

Archived