We just posted a nice article about Marty...

SDS

IIRC correctly some of us discussed the possibility here. I was convinced there were talks - looks like there were. I bet Marty comes back next season to replace Lalime.

Hopefully Marty will still have his touch.

I just can't believe that Marty is wearing an Islanders uniform. That just seems so out of character for him. It was bad enough to watch him wearing a Flyers jersey, but he's way better than the Isles. It's almost like disrespecting himself.

The team knows what it has with Lalime. They just weren't able to do better in the offseason.

One thing that didn't make the story ...

I believe Biron was 18-1 (yes, 18-1!) when Miller was hurt in 05/06 and 06/07. His replacements -- Ty Conklin, Jocelyn Thibault, Mikael Tellqvist and Patrick Lalime -- are an aggregate 11-21-5 since he left. Eleven wins from backup goalies in nearly three years.

One thing that didn't make the story ...

I believe Biron was 18-1 (yes, 18-1!) when Miller was hurt in 05/06 and 06/07. His replacements -- Ty Conklin, Jocelyn Thibault, Mikael Tellqvist and Patrick Lalime -- are an aggregate 11-21-5 since he left. Eleven wins from backup goalies in nearly three years.

Thanks for the articles by the way. Some great stuff. I did not know that there were actually negotiations with Biron. If you find out what Darcy has tried to do on the trade market, do let us know. Thanks again.

Marty will finish his career as a Sabre. He got his start here, made a name for himself here, has family and friends here, tried to make it big somewhere else and failed but got the big $$. Marty's not stupid. He was THE lone bright spot in the whole hasek, peca, rigas, bankruptcy, team potentially folding era of the early 2000's. He'll come back here, play very well with Miller and become one of those few immortal sabres that lives forever. Of course, the only question is when?

Marty will finish his career as a Sabre. He got his start here, made a name for himself here, has family and friends here, tried to make it big somewhere else and failed but got the big $. Marty's not stupid. He was THE lone bright spot in the whole hasek, peca, rigas, bankruptcy, team potentially folding era of the early 2000's. He'll come back here, play very well with Miller and become one of those few immortal sabres that lives forever. Of course, the only question is when?

...and did you hear the ovation that Marty got when he went into the net Friday night? He is still a fan favorite here in Buffalo, and it would be an awesome homecoming. I can't wait to see him back in the blue and gold.

We may still have a chance of getting him before the deadline if DiPietro comes back. Picture going into the playoffs with Miller and Biron. Sweet.

With Miller getting all the starts. I want Marty back in Sabres gear, but let's not kid ourselves. Unless your team has no idea who the better goal tender is, the playoffs are always a one man show.

What does this day about the teams attitude towards Lalime? They wouldn't have signed Biron to be the third string.

They may have just talked with Marty as a show of respect. Remember, this isn't the first time we've heard an ex-Sabre talk about potentially coming back to Buffalo after that ship has already sailed. What seemed serious to Marty may have been nothing more than the Sabres casually checking in on his status. Let's face it, from the sound of things, contact with any team over this past offseason would've seemed serious to Marty.

...and did you hear the ovation that Marty got when he went into the net Friday night? He is still a fan favorite here in Buffalo, and it would be an awesome homecoming. I can't wait to see him back in the blue and gold.

Meh (first time I've used that... yeah, I like it)... I thought the crowd reaction was about more than Marty. The first part of the reaction was, of course, a leftover to the goal. Then to the goalie being pulled, which fans always cheer. It just seemed like that reaction continued as Marty was heading for the net. Sure, some people cheered, but unless Buffalo fans have totally changed their stripes, it's not like as soon as Marty hopped up, the fans rose as one. I also definitely heard boos when Biron was announced as the new goalie.

Again, however, we all see the world through a different prism.

Bill Hoppe, how did you see and hear it?

Meh (first time I've used that... yeah, I like it)... I thought the crowd reaction was about more than Marty. The first part of the reaction was, of course, a leftover to the goal. Then to the goalie being pulled, which fans always cheer. It just seemed like that reaction continued as Marty was heading for the net. Sure, some people cheered, but unless Buffalo fans have totally changed their stripes, it's not like as soon as Marty hopped up, the fans rose as one. I also definitely heard boos when Biron was announced as the new goalie.

Again, however, we all see the world through a different prism.

Bill Hoppe, how did you see and hear it?

I dunno PA, on the broadcast it sure looked like the vast majority of people stood in near unison and applauded. It sure looked like a standing O to me, at least that's the way I saw it.

I dunno PA, on the broadcast it sure looked like the vast majority of people stood in near unison and applauded. It sure looked like a standing O to me, at least that's the way I saw it.

I was at the game. They applauded Marty ... trust me. For whatever reason -- likely his personality and permanent Buffalo residence -- fans view Marty differently than Briere, Drury and the others. They LOVE him. They view him as one of them.

Here's Lindy's quote on the applause:

“I thought that was pretty neat. Marty’s an honorable guy. He puts a smile on your faces. He’s one of (the media’s) favorites. He’s one of the fans’ favorites. He was one of my favorites to coach, too.”

They tend to pan to where people are applauding/standing. They do it all the time after goals.

Meh... splitting hairs about what happened and why doesn't seem all that important or interesting.

I was at the game. They applauded Marty ... trust me. For whatever reason -- likely his personality and permanent Buffalo residence -- fans view Marty differently than Briere, Drury and the others. They LOVE him. They view him as one of them.

Here's Lindy's quote on the applause:

“I thought that was pretty neat. Marty’s an honorable guy. He puts a smile on your faces. He’s one of (the media’s) favorites. He’s one of the fans’ favorites. He was one of my favorites to coach, too.”

Thanks Bill.

We often discuss on here the passion, or lack of passion, of Sabres fans in the arena. TV, at least my TV, makes it sound really quiet in there. And the pictures don't lie. A lot of fans don't celebrate goals. What's your take? How do Buffalo fans compare to other cities?

They tend to pan to where people are applauding/standing. They do it all the time after goals.

Meh... splitting hairs about what happened and why doesn't seem all that important or interesting.

I was at the game and while they may have been some people standing, it was nowhere near the entire arena.

Archived