Atta boy Lindy!

PASabreFan

Towit, from the News:

But the Gaustad line was an impressive force in front of a crowd of 11,008, and being back on left wing was a plus for Hecht. He played mostly center last season after spending much of his career along the boards."It's just instincts and little stuff that you don't have to think about," he said. "You just take a step or two steps and you're in position. At center, you catch yourself thinking about it. That's what happens when you play 10 years on the wing and then get thrown in at center. I don't mind it once in a while playing center, but I still prefer the wing."

Ruff, though, won't be shy about putting Hecht back in the middle if the need arises.

"He's going to be wherever I put him," Ruff said. "I think the players understand that. His value is he's as good a centerman as he is a winger, and that little bit of depth really helps."

"He's going to be wherever I put him," Ruff said. "I think the players understand that. His value is he's as good a centerman as he is a winger, and that little bit of depth really helps."

This is troubling. We al know Jochen sucked at center last year, he knows he sucked at center last year, but Lindy knows otherwise. I can only hope this is some sort of mind game by Lindy to get into Jochen's head, because otherwise, I'm leary of what Lindy is doing.

Better chance of trading a C/LW then a LW? We can only hope!

His contract is absolutely unmovable. The kings ransom the Sabres would have to give up to get rid of him would be unconscienable. Not to mention the garbage you'd get in return. Damaged goods, overpaid, underachiever, you know, like Hecht.

Just hope the centers stay healthy and he stays at LW ... that line with Gaustad and Grier could be a decent checking line. If (when?) Connolly gets hurt, bring Kennedy up to fill the center hole and leave Hecht on the wall.

I found the quote curious too, but he's playing him at LW ... until he actually starts playing and sucking at center, I am not going to stress over it.

Just hope the centers stay healthy and he stays at LW ....I found the quote curious too, but he's playing him at LW ... until he actually starts playing and sucking at center, I am not going to stress over it.

I'm more in line with Ink on this one and consider it a bit more troubling than curious given what we all have witnessed w/him at C. However I do agree until it happens like the pending nuclear holucaust or giant meteor currently speeding towards earth I'm just not going to worry about it..

Exactly my thoughts.

Too bad you guys aren't coaching.

Have we all forgotten Lindy's propensity to blow up lines? Falling in love with one of Lindy's preseason lines is nuts.

Note that Lindy is not saying Hecht is good in a pinch at center. He's saying he's as good at center as he is at wing, and he'll use him at center no matter what we think, the media thinks or Hecht thinks.

Jesus H. Christ, poor beleaguered Jochen Hecht has a good game, something he desperately needs even in the preseason, and Ruff comes out and cuts his nuts off after the game. Lindy is starting to strike this tone and pose of someone who is very much in love with himself. Maybe because a lot of the fans have anointed him Greatest of All Time, he's starting to believe it. IMHO Ruff has not been the same coach since winning the Jack Adams.

I'll say it again. This nimrod is the problem. Ruff, not Hecht. :)

This is troubling. We al know Jochen sucked at center last year, he knows he sucked at center last year, but Lindy knows otherwise. I can only hope this is some sort of mind game by Lindy to get into Jochen's head, because otherwise, I'm leary of what Lindy is doing.

Lindy knows he sucked at center last year, too. What Lindy is saying is that he also sucked at winglast year. Lindy said he's as good a centerman as he was a winger. He is not saying that he was particularly good at either.

At least that's my glass half full spin on it!

His contract is absolutely unmovable. The kings ransom the Sabres would have to give up to get rid of him would be unconscienable. Not to mention the garbage you'd get in return. Damaged goods, overpaid, underachiever, you know, like Hecht.

Which is why I have been saying for two+ years now that DR & LQ better be careful who they decide are their core players and in turn hand them mountains of cash. If they "miss", they are stuck with them, and in turn, this will hurt the teams chances of getting better until the contract runs out(You know that OSP will never buyout a players contract). ;)

I've got no problem with the statement. Saying he's equal at both slots is just coach talk. Basically, I'm reading into it that Hecht will be primarily on the wing, but might see some short time at center if the need arises, mid-game. Of the everyday forwards, he's the one that is going to make that move. Also, if they do end up going with the Gaustad-Grier-Hecht line, I could see Hecht and Gaustad trading spots during certain moments.

Korab: Weak.

Wraith: Weaker.

Enter nfreeman.

My previous post was mostly in jest, but I think its a positive that Lindy likes Hecht in a third line checking roll. It suits Hecht's game; he gets to think defense first and offense second. He get's to grind and delay, without the pressure of being counted on to chip in offensively. Hecht does provide versatile SHORT TERM (ie in game) depth in the event a top two center or winger goes down, but I FULLY expect ruff to reach into rochester in the event a top six goes down.

I like a previous poster's suggestion of Timmy K coming up WHEN Timmy C ruptures his spleen or whatever injury is next on his list.

Speaking of which, I fully endorse connolly having immediate surgery now to remove his spleen, appendix, one of his kidneys, and his dick and balls. He doesn't need them any way, and its one less thing he could possibly injure. Roy may get pissed, though, if he has less targets in the shower.

Korab: Weak.

Wraith: Weaker.

Enter nfreeman.

You rang, sir?

At this point, I'm ready to table the whole "Lindy sucks/no he doesn't" debate. Some think he's the problem, others think he's done as well as possible with the cards he's been dealt. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs this year, I'm sure he'll be gone, and that's pretty much the end of the story IMHO.

I've got no problem with the statement. Saying he's equal at both slots is just coach talk. Basically, I'm reading into it that Hecht will be primarily on the wing, but might see some short time at center if the need arises, mid-game. Of the everyday forwards, he's the one that is going to make that move. Also, if they do end up going with the Gaustad-Grier-Hecht line, I could see Hecht and Gaustad trading spots during certain moments.

Correct.

FWIW, I thought Yo-yo looked pretty good last night on the line with Gaustad and Grier.

Some need to reread the quote. And yes, I'm going to try and find an audio clip of Ruff saying it, because it's still so unbelievable to me. Maybe a reporter error, who knows. The context of the question might also be important. Trying to give Ruff a benefit of the doubt here. He can't possibly believe what he said.

but I FULLY expect ruff to reach into rochester in the event a top six goes down.

Florida might have something to say about that!

:nana:

Edit: unless you know something that we don't ... you don't do you? He-he, sorry, I like Portland, but as a Sabres fan living in Rochester, I would love for them to get the Amerks back ... as long as it is a single NHL affiliation situation, of course.

Florida might have something to say about that!

:nana:

Edit: unless you know something that we don't ... you don't do you? He-he, sorry, I like Portland, but as a Sabres fan living in Rochester, I would love for them to get the Amerks back ... as long as it is a single NHL affiliation situation, of course.

oops! 20 years of habit is hard to break!

Ah, the steadying hand of XB to steer the hyperventilating PAFan through the turbulent waters of a Buffalo News quote. Solid as a rock. Where have you been?

I disagree. I would not call Jochen "depth" at center. He's just not good there. If that is their plan then that doesn't bode well and means they still haven't filled that void. He's a really good LW and if he stays there will earn his contract. If he is the fill in at center, then we'll have a "less than" at center and a "less than" at wing. I'd rather try someone else out at center and leave a good wing on the ice.

Archived