Atta boy Lindy!

PASabreFan

Which is why I have been saying for two+ years now that DR & LQ better be careful who they decide are their core players and in turn hand them mountains of cash. If they "miss", they are stuck with them, and in turn, this will hurt the teams chances of getting better until the contract runs out(You know that OSP will never buyout a players contract). ;)

True enough. But to be fair every team in the league has the same issue in having to be careful in deciding who to reward and keep as core players. That's not to cut DR/LQ any slack but every FO is challenged the same way.

GO SABRES!!!

This is just PA trying to make something out of nothing. Like others have said, I have no trouble with the quote. I see it as another way of saying that he wants the players to be accountable to the team. More and more whispers keep coming out about players not taking criticism well and pouting last year.

Do we really want Hecht believing that all his troubles last year were because he played wing?

Don't we want the coach deciding were the player most helps the team?

Towit, from the News:

But the Gaustad line was an impressive force in front of a crowd of 11,008, and being back on left wing was a plus for Hecht. He played mostly center last season after spending much of his career along the boards."It's just instincts and little stuff that you don't have to think about," he said. "You just take a step or two steps and you're in position. At center, you catch yourself thinking about it. That's what happens when you play 10 years on the wing and then get thrown in at center. I don't mind it once in a while playing center, but I still prefer the wing."

Ruff, though, won't be shy about putting Hecht back in the middle if the need arises.

"He's going to be wherever I put him," Ruff said. "I think the players understand that. His value is he's as good a centerman as he is a winger, and that little bit of depth really helps."

I'd like to know word for word what was asked of Ruff to get this response, but working with what we have, it sounds more to me that Ruff is defending his decision to use Hecht at Center. If Ruff truly feels in his heart that Hecht is a serviceable Center in the NHL, then we're screwed.

I for one will not buy into this right now; I'd like to enjoy some games first before packing it in.

Ah, the steadying hand of XB to steer the hyperventilating PAFan through the turbulent waters of a Buffalo News quote. Solid as a rock. Where have you been?

Thats funny. I was think XB closed the discussion also.

This preseason has been pretty good but is no indicator of how this seasons team will progress. Personally I like Hecht on the 3rd line. Its unfortunate that he is grossly overpaid but he shouldn't get top ice time until he earns it. I think Lindy knows that his next contract rides on this one. He will play the players that give him the best opportunity to win. Call it ego call it keeping food on the table I could care less about that.

...but I FULLY expect ruff to reach into rochester in the event a top six goes down.

This makes me sad.

He-he, sorry, I like Portland, but as a Sabres fan living in Rochester, I would love for them to get the Amerks back ...

Man, nothing would make me happier. From what I've heard Kurt Styres, the current Amerks owner, was really sold a bill of goods. Donner cooked the books pretty good and Styres wasn't fully aware of the financial cluster#%^$#! he was walking into.

Had he talked with 1 Amerks fan, they would have warned him of this, but unfortunately he took a giant kick in the dick to figure it out.

This makes me sad.

Man, nothing would make me happier. From what I've heard Kurt Styres, the current Amerks owner, was really sold a bill of goods. Donner cooked the books pretty good and Styres wasn't fully aware of the financial cluster#%^$#! he was walking into.

Had he talked with 1 Amerks fan, they would have warned him of this, but unfortunately he took a giant kick in the dick to figure it out.

Is Donner still in the picture?

This is just PA trying to make something out of nothing. Like others have said, I have no trouble with the quote. I see it as another way of saying that he wants the players to be accountable to the team. More and more whispers keep coming out about players not taking criticism well and pouting last year.

Do we really want Hecht believing that all his troubles last year were because he played wing?

Don't we want the coach deciding were the player most helps the team?

If Lindy thinks Hecht is as good a center as he is a winger, then it's something, baby.

billsrcursed might be right. Sort of sounds like a prickly, insecure coach trying to cover his tracks. Maybe accountability should start at the top? Did Lindy ever come out after the season and admit his shortcomings, whether it's dealing with the backup goalie, putting Hecht at center etc. etc. etc. and so on and on?

If Lindy thinks Hecht is as good a center as he is a winger, then it's something, baby.

billsrcursed might be right. Sort of sounds like a prickly, insecure coach trying to cover his tracks. Maybe accountability should start at the top? Did Lindy ever come out after the season and admit his shortcomings, whether it's dealing with the backup goalie, putting Hecht at center etc. etc. etc. and so on and on?

This is nothing but another case of trying to guess what is going on in someone's head. And that's fine, we have nothing else to do until the games start. Maybe Lindy does think he is a good center while most of us disagree. Or maybe Lindy knows they do not have the depth we would all like and it is likely that Hecht will end up playing there at some point this season and he doesn't want the guy thinking "I suck here, I should be playing wing." Why give him another excuse to suck? Why say "He will not play center." and then have to go back on your word? Again, I said MAYBE ... who the hell knows? Maybe PA is right Lindy is just WRONG ...

Either way, let's play some games already so we can overreact to a bad period or a bad shift instead of what could have been nothing more than a bad choice of words.

This makes me sad.

Would love to see Buffalo get the Amerc's back. Used to catch an occasional Amerc's game just to check on the talent down there. Fun to watch the kids grow up and make the bigs.

Buffalo tried to buy them from Donner, didn't they?

Would love to see Buffalo get the Amerc's back. Used to catch an occasional Amerc's game just to check on the talent down there. Fun to watch the kids grow up and make the bigs.

OSP wanted to buy them, but Donner said no.

Speaking of which, I fully endorse connolly having immediate surgery now to remove his spleen, appendix, one of his kidneys, and his dick and balls. He doesn't need them any way, and its one less thing he could possibly injure. Roy may get pissed, though, if he has less targets in the shower.

No message board board will offer the insight and intelligence you'll find here.

He definitely doesn't post here anymore.

"But, but, but, but the Sabres wouldn't allow Jabba the Donner to get AHL vets. The team sucked because of the Sabres. It wasn't Jabba the Donner's fault he was undercapitalized and blew ALL his cash on his 1st season as an owner; that was the Sabres' fault as well. ... " - Amerks 6 (aka Steve the Hutt)

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed that the tool we knew as Amerks 6 doesn't show up anymore. I'd be interested in hearing his explanation of how Styres is able to bring in AHL vets on AMERK/AHL contracts now that Bumblebutt appears to have been pushed out of a day-to-day role, but he didn't bring in any last year (when Bumblebutt appeared to still have a role in the management of the or-gan-i-za-tion), and Bumblebutt didn't bring in any on his own in the last 10 years. 'Cause really, let's face it, it (clearly) was the Sabres causing Jabba the Donner to go cheap, and not his lack of capitalization that caused it.

Also, it'd be interesting to find out why the Amerks didn't do QUITE as well as Steve the Hutt predicted. Anybody else remember reading how the Cats are a MUCH better run or-gan-i-za-tion than another former parent of the Amerks? If the Amerks hadn't lucked into a goalie when the Lynx folded they may have had the worst professional hockey season ever. Heck of a team the Cats put together in Ra-cha-cha. Good call Amerks 6 (aka Steve the Hutt).

Yes, the Sabres wanted to buy the Amerks after the relationship was proven to be unworkable. Jabba the Donner rebuffed the offer and eventually found Styres.

Archived