Gerbe: I'm not going down

Two or less

It's a hockeybuzz article. I am not sure if this was talked about. I can't sleep right now so i'm going through bunch of web sites/blogs to read up on some hockey news i may have missed and read this article from Garth. I doubt he'd make up quotes from Nathan Gerbe so i think it's pretty legit. Some may call him cocky or what ever but i love his attitude. He's pretty sure of him self.

"The crowded house isn't going to faze Nathan Gerbe. He has a singular objective in his heart and soul:

Do whatever it takes to be one of the 12 forwards in Buffalo's opening night lineup.

"I'm not going back there ( to Portland )", he adamantly told me after his workout. "Its not going to happen. I'll play whatever position they want me to play. I'm not going down".

Period. End of subject.

Gerbe is hungry and he's ready to show his coach, GM, and teammates that he's a fulltime NHLer. He will not shy away from the contact in camp. "I'm ready, lets go"."

Link- http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=22772&blogger_id=6

I'm not sure if his attitude is going to make a difference, and I'm not convinced he's an NHL player. Last year certainly didn't prove anything.

Skill-wise, at least offensively, he probably does (though, you are correct that his time in the NHL last year didn't prove it.) While there are plenty of guys who have dominated at the AHL level, but never produced at the NHL level (Jody Gage syndrome), they usually have not produced as well in their first season. Jody Gage wasn't a point-per-game player until his fifth season. Jason Krog, a more recent dominant AHL player, came out of college with sick numbers, but only put up 0.6 PPG in his first AHL season. So, Gerbe is seemingly (insert standard statistics disclaimers) ahead of the curve.

The obvious concern is his size. Some players have over come similar vertical challenges, but they are few and far between. By all accounts, he is very strong and obviously doesn't shy away from contact. The questions is if he can learn to avoid taking hits to the head before one takes him out for good.

The other concern that I have is whether he is too one-dimensional. Even if he's putting up a PPG in the NHL, he can't be a pylon defensively. Look at how much flack Briere took for being one-dimensional despite his production.

I still believe that Timmy Kennedy has a better shot, especially if the other Timmy gets hurt again. He is also offensively gifted, but more of a playmaker than goal scorer. He is also defensively sound (by all reports) and plays center or wing.

The obvious concern is his size. Some players have over come similar vertical challenges, but they are few and far between. By all accounts, he is very strong and obviously doesn't shy away from contact. The questions is if he can learn to avoid taking hits to the head before one takes him out for good.

The other concern that I have is whether he is too one-dimensional. Even if he's putting up a PPG in the NHL, he can't be a pylon defensively. Look at how much flack Briere took for being one-dimensional despite his production.

I agree with Inkman. I am not convinced he can cut it in the NHL for a variety of reasons. Chief among them are his size and his one-dimensionality. I can get over the one-dimensional aspect of a player's game IF they can put up points consistently. But last year I didn't see him getting near the net very much, and when he did he looked like he was panicking.

I've said it before, but I think he's an injury waiting to happen. That's my overwhelming impression and I wish they'd use him as part of a trade package sooner than later. Of course, I would LOVE to be wrong, and that Gerbe can become a legitimate offensive threat, but I have my doubts.

i expected him to look fast and quick when he played with the big club last year; he didn't.

now, maybe that's due to the fact that he was trying to play within the system -- not become the next max, etc.

but even when it appeared that he had a clear chance to turn on his rockets or stop/start on a dime, i can't recall a play where he impressed.

That attitude is nothing new. He was like that throughout college too. It probably won't make any difference though. I can't see him making the leap this year. Maybe if he had shown anything at the NHL level last year, but he didn't. If by some chance he does surprise though, he could be that 2nd line spark that everyone has been hoping for. It seems like a major longshot though.

Based on the limited footage I saw from when he was in Portland, he didn't play at all the way he normally does...Especially at the Portland game at the arena last year, he was involved in several scrums and was a HUGE agitator...when he was up in Buffalo he was very timid and didn't play his style at all.

I think if he does what he does best, he'll be very effective.

I have faith... He is not the prototype for the forward. He has some of those same size issues in the AHL. No one has taken his head off yet or checked him into the next zip code. His risk is slightly elevated to others.. Hopefully, the other intangibles that make a good NHLer (like eyes in the back of your head) come in to play here.

I'm not as concerned with his welfare as I am his ability to avoid being manhandled off the puck and out od offensive position. Even in Rookie camp he looked overmatched by everyone when battling for a puck.

I've said it before, but I think he's an injury waiting to happen.

He looks sturdy enough, fire-hydrant-esque if you will. I just think he won't be able to get leverage with his stumpy little frame.

i expected him to look fast and quick when he played with the big club last year; he didn't.

That was the biggest shocker to me as well. He looked to have average speed at best.

This guy wouldn't make it far on the Hollywood casting couch.

But I suspect he's very well liked in the lockerroom.

I'm sure Tyler Myers could find a use for him. :bag:

No one has taken his head off yet or checked him into the next zip code. His risk is slightly elevated to others..

See above (above PA that is).

I'll take issue with using the term "one dimensional" to describe Gerbe. To me one dimensional is a guy like Kotalik who skated down the wing and fired a wrist shot at the goalie and that was the extent of his offensive game. From what I have seen and read, Gerbe has very good offensive skills in terms of skating, stick handling, shooting and passing. He may need work on his defensive game, but I don't know if that would make him one dimensional.

I'll take issue with using the term "one dimensional" to describe Gerbe. To me one dimensional is a guy like Kotalik who skated down the wing and fired a wrist shot at the goalie and that was the extent of his offensive game. From what I have seen and read, Gerbe has very good offensive skills in terms of skating, stick handling, shooting and passing. He may need work on his defensive game, but I don't know if that would make him one dimensional.

I agree... What I recall was more a general tentiveness than anything else. I kept thinking he was was afraid to get beat deep and didn't want to risk that. Instead of crashing the net, he would stop short. I didn't have an issue with his speed. He just seemed overly cautious.

Based on the limited footage I saw from when he was in Portland, he didn't play at all the way he normally does...Especially at the Portland game at the arena last year, he was involved in several scrums and was a HUGE agitator...when he was up in Buffalo he was very timid and didn't play his style at all.

I think if he does what he does best, he'll be very effective.

I agree with that. I think his main problem last year was lack of experience and well, only way he can gain experience is by playing. Every level he's played at he's had great deal of success... college, WJC and AHL. Obviously it's still up in the air if he'll ever adjust or not to the NHL, but i wouldn't count him either.

A player like Gerbe i can't really judge until i see him in many games, like 40 or so i think to get a very clear picture if he'll ever be a solid top 6 player or not even make it to this level.

His cameo in a Sabres uniform didn't look good last year, but this guy is an animal on the ice in Portland and in his college days.

I like to think of him as Pominville with an attitude. He has better hands and a better shot than Pommer, and though he may be smaller, he is not afraid to use what he has. Pommer is about as soft as they come. When was the last time you saw him battling for a puck in the corner? Gerbe, once he settles in to the NHL and plays his game, will be just fine.

He may have a shortened NHL career because of his size and the way he plays the game. He will take a LOT of elbows to the noggin, and maybe a few knee caps as well. This kid is just a gamer, though. Personally, I can't wait to see him suiting up every night. Roy will love it, as he will finally have someone on the team shorter than him.

Yeah, I was just watching Gerbe run drills at the Pepsi Center. The players in the orange jerseys stood out the most - and it wasn't just the jersey colors.

Anyway, the way Gerbe was talking I would have thought he would be blowing away that practice - but it was the opposite IMHO.

Yeah, I was just watching Gerbe run drills at the Pepsi Center. The players in the orange jerseys stood out the most - and it wasn't just the jersey colors.

Anyway, the way Gerbe was talking I would have thought he would be blowing away that practice - but it was the opposite IMHO.

Got any more commentary on who you saw today?

Got any more commentary on who you saw today?

The goalies didn't have names on their jerseys, so it was difficult to positively identify anyone, but a little deduction leads me to conclude that Enroth looked a lot better today than he did in July (he was the shortest of three goalies - the other two were about the same height). Indeed, he was making some really decent saves with what seemed like minimal effort.

I thought Myers made some good plays, one in particular stood out, however for most of the time he was on the other side of the rink.

Wish I could tell who the kids were in the orange jerseys - they looked like they were there to make the big club. In contrast, I thought Gerbe gave up the play too easily. I don't read minds, but I got the impression that he was "over" playing with the prospects.

It was interesting to hear Lindy talk to the team about the plays and how they develop on the ice. Usually I'm not in a position to hear the on-ice banter but this time I could hear everything. Nothing worthy of note beyond that, really, just that I thought it interesting.

The goalies didn't have names on their jerseys, so it was difficult to positively identify anyone, but a little deduction leads me to conclude that Enroth looked a lot better today than he did in July (he was the shortest of three goalies - the other two were about the same height). Indeed, he was making some really decent saves with what seemed like minimal effort.

I thought Myers made some good plays, one in particular stood out, however for most of the time he was on the other side of the rink.

Wish I could tell who the kids were in the orange jerseys - they looked like they were there to make the big club. In contrast, I thought Gerbe gave up the play too easily. I don't read minds, but I got the impression that he was "over" playing with the prospects.

It was interesting to hear Lindy talk to the team about the plays and how they develop on the ice. Usually I'm not in a position to hear the on-ice banter but this time I could hear everything. Nothing worthy of note beyond that, really, just that I thought it interesting.

Thanks for the info!

It's a hockeybuzz article. I am not sure if this was talked about. I can't sleep right now so i'm going through bunch of web sites/blogs to read up on some hockey news i may have missed and read this article from Garth. I doubt he'd make up quotes from Nathan Gerbe so i think it's pretty legit. Some may call him cocky or what ever but i love his attitude. He's pretty sure of him self.

"The crowded house isn't going to faze Nathan Gerbe. He has a singular objective in his heart and soul:

Do whatever it takes to be one of the 12 forwards in Buffalo's opening night lineup.

"I'm not going back there ( to Portland )", he adamantly told me after his workout. "Its not going to happen. I'll play whatever position they want me to play. I'm not going down".

Period. End of subject.

Gerbe is hungry and he's ready to show his coach, GM, and teammates that he's a fulltime NHLer. He will not shy away from the contact in camp. "I'm ready, lets go"."

Link- http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=22772&blogger_id=6

This team either gets some sort of scoring help or it's chances of making the playoffs are slim.

So I hope Gerbe or Kennedy can play at a high enough level to cause the Sabres to rethink having the 3rd and 4th lines populated strictly with grinders.

Archived