[OT] Do you recycle?

LabattBlue

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you separate your recyclables from the rest of your garbage?

• All the time.
    • Some of the time.
    • Never. Big waste of time.

I would if our apartment complex offered bins. Since they don't, I try to separate out our paper and take it to the recycling bin at work, and try to take all the used plastic grocery bags back to the store for recycling. Even though we have a bunch of those reusable bags we still seem to accumulate a lot of plastic grocery store bags.

I wish we had the bins to recycle plastics, because the 2-liter bottles of pop, gallon milk containers, etc., take up a lot of room in the trash and I am constantly taking garbage bags down to the dumpster.

I have my recycle bin out at the curb every week, but I have neighbors who never use them. What say you?

All right this is great, a Friday complaint thread .... I would have liked to have had and would have choose a "Most of the time" option but had to settle for "some of the ....". Interesting aside, Yes I always use my recycle bin weekly, what I seem to have trouble doing in breaking a generational curse is, when I'm out and finish a drink that has a bottle,can etc... I just do not auto think of saving the empty for a recycle bin vs. putting into a garbage can. Even when both are together it doesn't register to do that..... however the think green millenials generation (e.g. my kids) are always harping on me to clean up my act....so maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks..

I live in Houston and I recycle regularly but I have to drive it to the processing center. This city doesn't have a huge pick up area or a lot of green options in general.

Same here in Delaware. There are many Recycling Centers close by . Have 2 bins in the garage and fill them up weekly.

We are fortunate to have a city recycling program in place - one week, they pick up cans/glass/plastic/metal, the next paper/cardboard. I don't put out paper that often, as I only get the Sunday newspaper (read it online the rest of the week). Also, I bought 5 of the re-usable grocery bags, so I rarely have plastic ones to recycle. I'm kind of getting into this recycling thing........

In Kelowna we have bins with wheels on them. My garbage can is half the size of my recycling bin. They pick up garbage every week and recycling every other week.

There is no separating your recycling either. The only thing not allowed is glass. That gets taken to the bottle depot when we do our empties returns, but that is a very small amount of glass.

It's easy. We also compost now too, which is annoying but a good thing.

I live in a house with 4 other people. Our trash and recycle bin goes out Sunday night. Monday night the recycle bin is full and everything else goes in the trash.

I'd recycle more if I had like...3 more recycle bins.

That's my situation too. However, my wife is the big advocate, and I go through the motions to please her. I love how every week, our two bins are so full, that on my trip to the curb, stuff is always falling to the ground, causing me to curse the damned recycling effort. I pick it up and jam it in, but it never all stays in there, especially with the wind. The only satisfaction I get, is over the following few days, I get reprieve, because I can tell me wife we recycled. Usually, the wind blows the items out of the bin and all over our property and neighboring properties. So, I tell her that we are recycling it right back into compost -- eventually. Very routine at our place, and the only thing that keeps me recycling.

Since the option "Never, but only because you live in a state that stopped progressing in the 1950's, like North Carolina" wasn't available, I didn't vote... However, I do a quasi recycling. I save all newspapers (we get it once a week. Reading online saves a lot of paper) and use it for my grill. As for glass jars, I save them for nails, screws, etc. Plastics i unfortunately throw away since there's no viable recycling option available. Cans, I take to the local fire dept... They recycle the aluminum and use the money for their funds. Oh yeah, and since most recyclers are hippies who drink faggy bottled water, count me out... I have a pur jug and a drinking glass. 3000 empties per quarter or 1 plastic filter?

My problem is where I am, our building has these huge recycling things in the back where you are supposed to put it... however, directly in my apartment I just have one garbage can, so all the stuff tends to get mixed together and simply thrown out. Hopefully the bums dig through and take all the beer cans.

I am the one who voted never. The village that I live in is independent and not beholden to any money/grants.

I should have said sometimes... Because I do save cans and take them in for the Al price going whent hey pile up enough.

I think recycling is over-rated. People should REUSE and REDUCE beofe they get carried away with recycling.

IMO.

I am the one who voted never. The village that I live in is independent and not beholden to any money/grants.

I should have said sometimes... Because I do save cans and take them in for the Al price going whent hey pile up enough.

I think recycling is over-rated. People should REUSE and REDUCE beofe they get carried away with recycling.

IMO.

Yeah, that's going to happen.[/sarc]

Is recycling really that hard? I even bring cans and bottles home from work to recycle because there are no bins there. There is nothing bad about recycling. Plus, it creates jobs.

I just want to add that I also return the shopping cart, don't drink bottled water and I'm not a hippie.

Yeah, that's going to happen.[/sarc]

Is recycling really that hard? I even bring cans and bottles home from work to recycle because there are no bins there. There is nothing bad about recycling. Plus, it creates jobs.

I just want to add that I also return the shopping cart, don't drink bottled water and I'm not a hippie.

No,it isn't that hard. I am just indifferent to it. Everybody likes to preach about recycling this and that yet, most seem to be the biggest consumers and wasters. I by no means am a hoarder... But, man... People get carried away with garbage. For one week, my family of four only throws out one normal can of garbage.

Again... If people really care... They would REUSE first, then REDUCE, THEN lastly RECYCLE. I look at it like this... I already do my above and beyond share of reducing and reusing... Screw the recycling (I know that isn't the best thing to say!). Anyway here in Chicago and other places... You can throw all your recyclable garbage into a blue bag and it would get separated later... Now that creates jobs.

IMO, most recycling programs are a drain on small communites that (again IMO) is not worth the money they are beholden to grantwise.

I'm pretty fanatical about it. From what I understand, all paper -- office paper, junk mail, notebook paper, etc. -- not just newspapers, can be recycled. So I collect even grocery receipts. I admit to taking anything plastic to the center, even pill bottles and bottles with numbers that don't necessarily, you know, match the numbers the center wants. I hope that doesn't cause a problem. I mean, if the recycling center doesn't recycle, we're in trouble.

I like the idea of recycling, but the poster is correct that reduce and re-use should come first. I get this gnawing feeling that recycling is not helping that much.

I am impressed... 27 said yes, all the time... 13 said sometime and I (1) said never! That is great, I don't have to recycle because everybody else is doing it! What is one person gonna do to the enviro if they are the only one who doesn't recycle!

Kinda like vaccines and herd immunity... That is if everybody gets the vaccine, what is the big deal if one person doesn't, they are protected by the herd.

Keep up the great work guys

I am impressed... 27 said yes, all the time... 13 said sometime and I (1) said never! That is great, I don't have to recycle because everybody else is doing it! What is one person gonna do to the enviro if they are the only one who doesn't recycle!

Kinda like vaccines and herd immunity... That is if everybody gets the vaccine, what is the big deal if one person doesn't, they are protected by the herd.

Keep up the great work guys

Unless you get the virus and mutate it so the vaccine doesn't work.

FWIW, my understanding is that paper/cardboard is the most important thing to recycle -- it's something like 40% of the worldwide landfill volume.

I recycle pretty much everything, although it's easy b/c NYC picks it up in front of my house once per week. I can't say what I would do if I had to take everything to a recycling center.

Archived