No wonder no moves are being made...

SabreFan78

Chokin Jochen sucks!!!!

In case you missed the one above..

Chokin Jochen Sucks!!!!

He is worthless along with many more on this roster..WHich is why they will be fighting for a prize draft choice again only to win meaningless games at the end to fall just short and be a little below in the middle of the pack to make the playoffs in the EASIEST MAjor league sport to make the playoffs!!!! :wallbash:

Name one Sabre that preformed to expectations last season season. Rivet? Vanek? Roy? The whole team sucked, blaming it on one player sounds ridiculous.

I like giving the benefit of the doubt to Hecht.

We think these guys are automatons. Maybe he was having marital problems. Maybe his dad is dying of cancer. Who the hell knows? He picked up his game toward the end. As shocked as I was at how badly he played till that point, I'd be doubly shocked if we see a repeat of it next season.

I am 100% convinced that he had some sort of injury. He was reduced to taking backhand shots for largely the whole season. There HAS to be something there. No one takes backhand, after backhand, after backhand at that level. No one. Yet that was what he did all Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr. I know this as I was absolutely fixated on it.

Since he is still a Sabre, I've got to believe that what ever ailed him is past him. If he comes out shooting that weak backhand this season, then I'll be forced to conclude that is all he has. But I don't believe that.

I am 100% convinced that he had some sort of injury. He was reduced to taking backhand shots for largely the whole season. There HAS to be something there. No one takes backhand, after backhand, after backhand at that level. No one. Yet that was what he did all Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr. I know this as I was absolutely fixated on it.

Since he is still a Sabre, I've got to believe that what ever ailed him is past him. If he comes out shooting that weak backhand this season, then I'll be forced to conclude that is all he has. But I don't believe that.

If I remember right he broke his finger in November.

Name one Sabre that preformed to expectations last season season. Rivet? Vanek? Roy? The whole team sucked, blaming it on one player sounds ridiculous.

Where do I say i was blaming the whole problem on Hecht..I just said in my drunk sports fans way he sucks along with a whole host of others..Counting on him to play center is equally as ridiculous as expecting the SAbres to make the playoffs with the roster of this current team...Its called fantasy land.

At best he is an average winger and he better have an allstar center on his line for him to be average!!!

Biron wasn't going to come here to be a backup. He wants to be a starter. Frankly, you know this, and this post is just more obtuse DR bashing. And while I wouldn't have minded Laperriere, he's far from a difference-maker.

He signed a 1 year, $1.8 million deal with a team that has a starter locked up to a 15 year deal, and on the first day of FA signed another starting goalie. Biron isn't guaranteed a spot anymore as a starter in Long Island as he is in Buffalo. In fact, he could end up 3rd or cut if Dipietro comes back healthy. Atleast in Buffalo he would be guaranteed a #2 spot and possibly play more without being in a 3 golaie situation.

one of the reasons it was only a 1 year deal is because there are no starting jobs available in the NHL right now this season, so if he wanted a job, he needs to go back to being a #2 and maybe wait til around the deadline to be part of a deal somewhere

The bolded part is another hysterical overstatement. All the raving about Montador detracts from your (much better) point -- ie that the Sabres should've done more to improve the team. All I can say about that is that I will probably agree with you that it was a bad offseason if we get to training camp and nothing else has happened. But there are lots of good players still out there, both FAs and guys who will be traded.

Nobody here is going to be satisfied with "sneaking into 8th place." If Miller and Vanek hadn't gotten hurt down the stretch last year, this was probably a 6th-place team. I personally think Montador will be better for this team than Spacek was, and that Pommer, Stafford, Connolly, Butler, Rivet and Sekera will have better to much better seasons this year than last. I agree that another good forward is needed, but I think this will happen before camp. If not, again, I will be disappointed in this offseason.

BTW, it's probably fair at this point to say that the 2006 offseason -- in which Grier, McKee and Dumont were let go, Briere wasn't extended and Max, Connolly and Tallinder were extended -- was substantially worse than this summer too. In fact, if Pommer and Hecht don't raise their games quite a bit this year, 2008 will likely also prove to be worse than 2009.

Biron wasn't going to come here to be a backup. He wants to be a starter. Frankly, you know this, and this post is just more obtuse DR bashing. And while I wouldn't have minded Laperriere, he's far from a difference-maker.

2006? Proved again how horribly Regier can misjudge talent. What a different team we would have had with McKee, Grier and Dumont over Max, Tallinder and Connoly, not that Connolly was there. 2008 worse than 2009? They did pick up Rivet. Would I rather have Bernier and the pick? Yes. At least they did something. The problem is that Regier refuses to address any need fully. You could consider 2009 worse because in 2008 they signed Lalime and in 2009 they kept him around despite seeing him play up close. Regier has a history of continuing to make the same mistakes. This team has needed a quality backup since Marty left. They talk about how important the position is but they refuse to do anything about it. You can say the same for Connolly. They continue to funnel money into the Tim Connolly experiment no matter how many times it blows up in their face.

Laperriere by himself is not close to enough to get this team in the playoffs. You add him along with a few similar players and you may have enough to change the makeup of this team and maybe get it into the playoffs.

Roy and Vanek lived up to expectations. Vanek got his 40 goals and Roy his 70 points.

Hecht? Is a overpaid role player. He a great guy to have on the third line wing for $1.5 -$2 mil a year. To expect him to be anything more is just foolish. That the Sabres may have thought him to be a possible leader is disturbing. If front office changes are actually made at the end of this season I would Hecht to be one of the first players to be shown the door. I would expect a new GM to tell Hecht to help Connolly carry his burdensome contract to the curb.

2006? Proved again how horribly Regier can misjudge talent. What a different team we would have had with McKee, Grier and Dumont over Max, Tallinder and Connoly, not that Connolly was there. 2008 worse than 2009? They did pick up Rivet. Would I rather have Bernier and the pick? Yes. At least they did something. The problem is that Regier refuses to address any need fully. You could consider 2009 worse because in 2008 they signed Lalime and in 2009 they kept him around despite seeing him play up close. Regier has a history of continuing to make the same mistakes. This team has needed a quality backup since Marty left. They talk about how important the position is but they refuse to do anything about it. You can say the same for Connolly. They continue to funnel money into the Tim Connolly experiment no matter how many times it blows up in their face.

Laperriere by himself is not close to enough to get this team in the playoffs. You add him along with a few similar players and you may have enough to change the makeup of this team and maybe get it into the playoffs.

They didn't misjudge talent, as much as the market.

They knew what they had in McKee.....and judged it correctly by talent and market standards

Grier they knew too...........................Grier pretty much self-selected out.

Dumont.............................Regier totally misjudged the arbitration market. Really they chose Briere with the remaining cap space. (you could argue they could have signed and traded, or traded pieces. But they still got to the ECF that year before running out of gas). As for Grier, he doesn't have a job yet.

As for Connolly....take a look at Havlat and his injuries and points....two years with about as many games as Connolly and then 82.

Look at Connolly at 4.5 mil x 2 years vs Havlat at 5.0 mil. x 6 years?

How much do you think Connolly would have gotten on the open market?

They knew what they had in McKee.....and judged it correctly by talent and market standards

Grier they knew too...........................Grier pretty much self-selected out.

Dumont.............................Regier totally misjudged the arbitration market. Really they chose Briere with the remaining cap space. (you could argue they could have signed and traded, or traded pieces. But they still got to the ECF that year before running out of gas). As for Grier, he doesn't have a job yet.

As for Connolly....take a look at Havlat and his injuries and points....two years with about as many games as Connolly and then 82.

Look at Connolly at 4.5 mil x 2 years vs Havlat at 5.0 mil. x 6 years?

How much do you think Connolly would have gotten on the open market?

I couldn't care less what Connolly would have gotten on the open market. Regier is not the only GM to sign bad contracts. I would love to see some other team, especially in the East, burdened with Tim Connolly. That's $4.5 mil that could have gone a long way this off season.

Roy and Vanek lived up to expectations. Vanek got his 40 goals and Roy his 70 points.

Hecht? Is a overpaid role player. He a great guy to have on the third line wing for $1.5 -$2 mil a year. To expect him to be anything more is just foolish. That the Sabres may have thought him to be a possible leader is disturbing. If front office changes are actually made at the end of this season I would Hecht to be one of the first players to be shown the door. I would expect a new GM to tell Hecht to help Connolly carry his burdensome contract to the curb.

Your obsession with Connolly is causing you to ignore the facts, as you did with Montador. TC was the best player on the team in the 2nd half of the season last year, and had a better season than Roy did.

With McKee, they made the right decision in letting him go, but I'd argue that the error was in not extending him well prior to UFA season. I know he's slow and injury-prone. He just played with so much heart. With Grier, nobody seems to know what really happened, but I do believe a stronger press to sign him would've been successful. It was indeed ultimately Grier's call, but it seems like they sort of invited him to look around and didn't make him feel valued. I'd say the error was in not recognizing his value, making him feel valued and closing the deal with urgency.

Losing those 2 really hurt the "play with desperation" element that the 05-06 team had.

Your obsession with Connolly is causing you to ignore the facts, as you did with Montador. TC was the best player on the team in the 2nd half of the season last year, and had a better season than Roy did.

Better than Roy? I guess you must be including the imaginary games played stats in that argument. Roy played all 82, logged more ice time, logged twice as much PK and PP time over the season and had a better face-off percentage. If TC was the best player over the second half that would explain why there were no playoffs for the Sabres. Connolly did what he always does. He comes back from a long layoff with fresh legs and throws up some points and as soon as the games begin to mount up he either gets injured or disappears.

2006? Proved again how horribly Regier can misjudge talent. What a different team we would have had with McKee, Grier and Dumont over Max, Tallinder and Connoly, not that Connolly was there.

The year after those players you mention were let go the Sabres set or tied franchise records for wins and points, finished first in the league.

What was your point again?

The year after those players you mention were let go the Sabres set or tied franchise records for wins and points, finished first in the league.

How did their season end that year? Out in five against the Sens if I recall correctly. I would gladly trade meaningless records and trophies to have those three in the lineup against the Sens.

Let's see - in 2007 without those players out in five against the Sens. In 2006 with the players? The Sabres knocked the Sens out in five.

Better than Roy? I guess you must be including the imaginary games played stats in that argument. Roy played all 82, logged more ice time, logged twice as much PK and PP time over the season and had a better face-off percentage. If TC was the best player over the second half that would explain why there were no playoffs for the Sabres. Connolly did what he always does. He comes back from a long layoff with fresh legs and throws up some points and as soon as the games begin to mount up he either gets injured or disappears.

Not so in 08-09. He didn't score a point in his first four games back, then had 13 points in his next 10 games, seven in the 10 after that, 10 in the 10 after that and 10 in his last eight games.

Just a side note - I really, really hate this stat, because the numbers feel artificially inflated by the SO and OT Loss points.

Not so in 08-09. He didn't score a point in his first four games back, then had 13 points in his next 10 games, seven in the 10 after that, 10 in the 10 after that and 10 in his last eight games.

thank you for that stat. I've been trying to tell him this for months but I was too lazy to do a game-by-game breakdown like that. Connolly did not disappear, he was the best player on the team from his 2-goal (1a) game against Carolina in January forward.

thank you for that stat. I've been trying to tell him this for months but I was too lazy to do a game-by-game breakdown like that. Connolly did not disappear, he was the best player on the team from his 2-goal (1a) game against Carolina in January forward.

This is the second time I've read this and I just don't agree. If the money is the same,.. I'll take Roy.

Archived