No wonder no moves are being made...

SabreFan78

With season ticket sales increasing, why would Darcy and the brain trust make any moves to improve the team? People have shown they will continue to buy the tickets regardless. That's all Darcy and Co. care about.

I agree, they will invest the minimum amount until fans stop going to the games.

With season ticket sales increasing, why would Darcy and the brain trust make any moves to improve the team? People have shown they will continue to buy the tickets regardless. That's all Darcy and Co. care about.

Or it's because it's still July...the season doesn't open until October, there is still plenty of time.

Or it's because it's still July...the season doesn't open until October, there is still plenty of time.

While I have been patient, I'm starting to get worried. At this point Tallinder and Hecht should be unloaded for late round draft picks. Hell, throw in a mid level prospect with each if you have to. Just get them out of town and sign/trade for someone.

While I have been patient, I'm starting to get worried. At this point Tallinder and Hecht should be unloaded for late round draft picks. Hell, throw in a mid level prospect with each if you have to. Just get them out of town and sign/trade for someone.

The only way Tallinder and Hecht are leaving is when their contracts run out. There are no deals in the works. The roster is now as it will be going into the season. Why any of us would have expected otherwise is clearly "shame on us."

i share that anxiety, to a point, at least as to tallinder (i want to see if hecht can regain his form).

but things league-wide seem to have quieted down considerably -- maybe there'll be some movement once the arb. hearings are done (?). here's hoping anyway.

that said, i'd say there's a 2/3 chance that we start the year with tallinder on the roster.

i share that anxiety, to a point, at least as to tallinder (i want to see if hecht can regain his form).

but things league-wide seem to have quieted down considerably -- maybe there'll be some movement once the arb. hearings are done (?). here's hoping anyway.

that said, i'd say there's a 2/3 chance that we start the year with tallinder on the roster.

2/3 is probably about right, even if for no other reason than this: if 29 message board posters realize that the guy isn't delivering, then 29 GMs probably do, too.

2/3 is probably about right, even if for no other reason than this: if 29 message board posters realize that the guy isn't delivering, then 29 GMs probably do, too.

There has to be one team willing to take a flyer on an NHL proven Dman, no matter the circumstances.

I just don't see anyone trading for Hecht unless the Sabres are taking back a bad contract in the deal. His contract is awful -- 3 more years at a $3.525MM cap hit per year. While he's a pretty decent 2-way player, there are plenty of guys like him to be had in the $1.5MM range.

Tallinder, OTOH, is flawed but can fill out someone's top 6. At least as importantly, he's in the last year of his contract, which means (i) it's not a long-term commitment for a buyer and (ii) he'll be incentivized to play his butt off this year since it's his contract year.

Still, I'll go along with the 2/3 likelihood that neither will be traded prior to the start of the season.

The only way Tallinder and Hecht are leaving is when their contracts run out. There are no deals in the works. The roster is now as it will be going into the season. Why any of us would have expected otherwise is clearly "shame on us."

I agree that Hecht's contract combined with his play last season have reduced his trade value significantly, but I don't believe that is the case for Tallinder. I believe he has some value. You just need to have a GM who does not over value his players and is willing to pull the trigger.

OH MAN WE SHOULD ALL STOP GOING TO SABRES GAMES SO DARCY WILL SIGN SOMEBODY!!!11!one!

na

Jack's a youngen. He's prolly just insecure about the size of things. Dude will be in a humongous truck in 10 years, no doubt.

I just don't see anyone trading for Hecht unless the Sabres are taking back a bad contract in the deal. His contract is awful -- 3 more years at a $3.525MM cap hit per year. While he's a pretty decent 2-way player, there are plenty of guys like him to be had in the $1.5MM range.

Tallinder, OTOH, is flawed but can fill out someone's top 6. At least as importantly, he's in the last year of his contract, which means (i) it's not a long-term commitment for a buyer and (ii) he'll be incentivized to play his butt off this year since it's his contract year.

Still, I'll go along with the 2/3 likelihood that neither will be traded prior to the start of the season.

yyyyyyyyup! No doubt whatsoever about any of those points.

FWIW, here's a new nickname for Hect: the Mannheim Sandbag.

I agree that Hecht's contract combined with his play last season have reduced his trade value significantly, but I don't believe that is the case for Tallinder. I believe he has some value. You just need to have a GM who does not over value his players and is willing to pull the trigger.

I'm not doubting some other team would take either. I doubt the Sabres have even looked into the possibility of trading either. It all goes back to this front office's willingness to move on once it is apparent that things aren't working out as planned. It's part over value and part being afraid to admit they were wrong on a player.

I'm not doubting some other team would take either. I doubt the Sabres have even looked into the possibility of trading either. It all goes back to this front office's willingness to move on once it is apparent that things aren't working out as planned. It's part over value and part being afraid to admit they were wrong on a player.

Link?

We hear this all the time(mostly by you) and I just don't buy it. Either a player has value (skills/contract) so Darcy thinks we should keep him, or he doesn't and nobody wants him, making it impossible for Darcy to move him. This idea that he sticks with guys because his ego won't let him trade them is garbage. If Tallinder can fill out someone else's top 6, then why can't he fill out ours. If he's a proven Dman, like someone said, then why don't we want to keep him?

I believe he may over-value players, causing him to have immovable players, but unless you can show me Darcy's phone records that no calls were made, I won't believe that he keeps players because he doesn't want to admit failure.

I believe he may over-value players, causing him to have immovable players, but unless you can show me Darcy's phone records that no calls were made, I won't believe that he keeps players because he doesn't want to admit failure.

We'll never know exactly what's happening and whether what he says is the truth or a ploy to, say, garner more interest in a player, but Darcy has said some things that hint at this. Last Summer, he talked about there being interest in Max, but that they weren't getting what they thought was fair value (sorry, I don't have a link, but I remember the interview.) Now, that means one of three things: (1) he wasn't actually receiving offers and was simply feigning interest in order to get GMs thinking that he has value, (2) he was only receiving offers that including taking back as big of (or bigger) problems, or (3) he actually expected to receive something of value back, but wasn't. It's the third case that would concern me. With his salary, as with Tallinder's this year, he should have been willing to take any positive value, no matter how low, and if fact, should have been willing to take back a small problem. For example, it was rumored that Colorado was talking about trading us Svatos for him. While somewhat inconsistent and not the most healthy guy (averaged 63 games over the three seasons prior to last offseason), he was also coming off of 2 of 3 seasons with over 25 goals (one over 30.) He would have provided depth at right wing, which we didn't have much of, and his combined salary over two seasons was just a little more than Max's last single season's salary.

This kind of dime-store psychoanalysis is not terribly valuable. We really have no idea why moves are made or aren't. It's certainly fair to judge the results, but to say it's because they are afraid to admit they are wrong is about as likely to be correct as saying it's because their mommies didn't hug them enough or because the other kids were mean to them at school.

We'll never know exactly what's happening and whether what he says is the truth or a ploy to, say, garner more interest in a player, but Darcy has said some things that hint at this. Last Summer, he talked about there being interest in Max, but that they weren't getting what they thought was fair value (sorry, I don't have a link, but I remember the interview.) Now, that means one of three things: (1) he wasn't actually receiving offers and was simply feigning interest in order to get GMs thinking that he has value, (2) he was only receiving offers that including taking back as big of (or bigger) problems, or (3) he actually expected to receive something of value back, but wasn't. It's the third case that would concern me. With his salary, as with Tallinder's this year, he should have been willing to take any positive value, no matter how low, and if fact, should have been willing to take back a small problem. For example, it was rumored that Colorado was talking about trading us Svatos for him. While somewhat inconsistent and not the most healthy guy (averaged 63 games over the three seasons prior to last offseason), he was also coming off of 2 of 3 seasons with over 25 goals (one over 30.) He would have provided depth at right wing, which we didn't have much of, and his combined salary over two seasons was just a little more than Max's last single season's salary.

Good post, as always. I remember the interview with Darcy you are referring to, and I remember getting the same impression -- ie that Darcy seemed put off at the idea that he wouldn't get a good player/prospect back for Max. Of course, at that point, Max was just one (lousy) season removed from 2 very good seasons, so Darcy's putative view was more reasonable then, albeit still grievously wrong.

This kind of dime-store psychoanalysis is not terribly valuable. We really have no idea why moves are made or aren't. It's certainly fair to judge the results, but to say it's because they are afraid to admit they are wrong is about as likely to be correct as saying it's because their mommies didn't hug them enough or because the other kids were mean to them at school.

What a steaming pile of corn-pocked pigshit.

Archived